Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Couldn't you do a mask for the image rather than modifying the original image? You could compress it down to bytes (or even bits) too, I think?

Though a mesh would probably work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

@gibbed: You're basically saying to have a huge array (1 bit per pixel) that says it's solid or not-solid, right? (eg. used for collision detection?)
Yes and it could double as an image mask to hide what's "destroyed".

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Havok announced a few months ago that they would be releasing the core library for Havok to the public, looks like they finally got around to it:

http://www.havok.com/tryhavok

quote:

The No-Charge Havok PC download is a binary-only bundle that includes all of the standard features and functionality of both the Havok™ Physics and Havok™ Animation products. The download includes Havok SDK libraries, samples, and technical documentation for software developers; as well as Havok's Content Tools for preparation and export of physical assets and characters directly from recent versions of popular 3D modeling and animation tools.

Looks like they are being friendly to cheapo game developers too:

quote:

If you plan to sell your commercial PC Game above a retail value of $10 USD, (or equivalent amount in other currencies based on prevailing exchange rates at the time of launch), you must first request a no-charge PC Game distribution license from Havok at https://www.havok.com/PCgamedistribution, prior to retail release of your game. This PC Game distribution agreement is required to ensure you have complied with Havok logo, copyright, and attribution requirements, and that your application is a PC game (commercial non-game application distribution is not allowed). There will be no fee associated with this because the license fee has been covered by Intel under a commercial agreement with Havok.

SDK download is ~230MB.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

for (int i = 0; i <= MAX_PIECES; i++)

Does 'pieces' have 257 elements? (I doubt it)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Gary the Llama posted:

No, I'm just not paying attention. Besides, it needs to be dynamic so I'll be changing it soon enough. :)
That's probably where your extra block is coming from then, given that you are reading past the end of your array into unknown data.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ultra-inquisitor posted:

I've finished my scripting language for shmups! :woop: It also doubles as a generic particle system. Here's a brief demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-uw5SfmJ9A

Here's about the simplest thing you can do with it:
code:
emitter Blaster
{
	stage1 = state
	{
		fire bullet(180, 200); // fire a bullet at 180 degrees, speed 200
		wait(0.2); // wait 0.2 seconds before looping back
	}
}
There is a lot more you can do.

If you're making a shmup (or similar) and you're using C++, I recommend it. :cool:

http://code.google.com/p/bulletscript/
How does this compare to BulletML? (if you've used it before)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

but hey we got Squirrel scripting in L4D2 so maybe there's hope!!
L4D2 uses Squirrel? :monocle:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

dogmaan posted:

How portable is C#?
Mono works pretty decently but you would have to avoid any platform specific libraries (like WinForms, though I have not kept up to date with Mono and if they have any WinForms stuff working).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Probably a terrible solution, but why don't you break the poll loop whenever a keydown occurs.