Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so... I made the ground beef water, and he did indeed have some after some coaxing. Which is good. But..
I'm a little worried it's too high in fat.
Don't want to upset his stomach.
At the same time don't want him dehydrated.

Thoughts?
If he's eating well and happy and you're feeding most canned food or chicken or other high-moisture foods, I really wouldn't worry about whether or not he's drinking. If he's not eating well or getting more lethargic or is otherwise declining this far out from surgery, he should be reevaluated by a vet. He should be getting better and better each day this far out, and if he's not, I would be concerned that something is wrong beyond him not drinking water well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Mixing a little Gatorade into the water can help as well. Any time I recommend a human product, it comes with the stipulation that you make sure they haven't changed the ingredients to include anything stupid like xylitol. Traditionally Gatorade has been perfectly safe though.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
I have a cat who, while I wouldn't call it overgrooming, really likes to bathe herself and will gladly spend a ton of time lounging around and bathing herself until she's actually kind of wet-- she doesn't seem to have any discomfort or fur loss in the areas she goes for most of all, but is this normal/okay? Are there cats who just really want to be soggy? (She also likes to go and play in the bathtub after one of us gets out of the shower so it might be that she just wants to be damp???)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from the products request thread:

I recently bought a house, and my housemates have a cat, and the cat likes to hang out on my window with it open. Is there a good cat bed for that? The sill is about four inches wide, I don't want one that hangs off the window since he likes it to be open (I also like it to be open).

So you can see what I'm talking about :

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about specific products, but you could probably use a couple of clamps to non-permanently attack a board or piece of plywood to the windowsill, and then put a regular cat bed on that. Just make sure to protect the windowsill from the clamps, and don't put heavy weight (like, a person's bodyweight) on it, because of leverage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is what I did, it's overly elaborate but it works. It's all handmade though.

The "ladder" is too steep - if I did this again I'd do a set of steps instead. The cats just run up my chair (which is why I have to keep a towel on it, to reduce the damage).

The basic issue with the window sill is it's too narrow to put anything on it that isn't screwed down without it potentially falling off, with a cat inside or on it. You gotta screw down whatever you do.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 20, 2023

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi! I'll leave home for a whole week this spring and I'm wondering what's best for my 9 years old indoor cat. I have two options:

1) Ask my retired mother to come home for like 30-45 minutes a day to replenish the food/water, empty the litter box and just be with the cat for a while (to pet her, play with her). My mother doesn't mind at all and has the time for this. My cat isn't shy with her.

2) Bring the cat to a coworker who owns a caretaking company (at his home) for animals. The cat will be in an unknown environment but will have a human presence multiple times per day, will have her own room with food, water, toys and a litter box. My cat will never be totally alone because my coworker works from home. I'll need to pay him of course but money isn't an issue.

So... I don't know what's best for my cat. she's a rescue and was abandoned 2-3 times in her past. Should I go with 1, with a familiar environment but with less human presence or with 2, unfamiliar environment but with frequent interactions with a stranger?

Thanks for your input!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, depending on the cat and coworker (and their setup), either of those could be the best option. Can you take the cat to play dates with the coworker, to do introductions and familiarize them with each other? That'd also give you a chance to better evaluate that option.

When you say the coworker has a caretaking company, does that mean that he has a lot of animals at his house? That's another factor to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Hi! I'll leave home for a whole week this spring and I'm wondering what's best for my 9 years old indoor cat. I have two options:

1) Ask my retired mother to come home for like 30-45 minutes a day to replenish the food/water, empty the litter box and just be with the cat for a while (to pet her, play with her). My mother doesn't mind at all and has the time for this. My cat isn't shy with her.

2) Bring the cat to a coworker who owns a caretaking company (at his home) for animals. The cat will be in an unknown environment but will have a human presence multiple times per day, will have her own room with food, water, toys and a litter box. My cat will never be totally alone because my coworker works from home. I'll need to pay him of course but money isn't an issue.

So... I don't know what's best for my cat. she's a rescue and was abandoned 2-3 times in her past. Should I go with 1, with a familiar environment but with less human presence or with 2, unfamiliar environment but with frequent interactions with a stranger?

Thanks for your input!

Pro pet sitter here, and I would go for option one. Moving cats is very stressful for them. Having less human interaction is still stressful, but in my experience, it's the easier option for the cat. I have plenty of clients who leave for a week at a time and their cats are just fine with daily visits. I have 5 cats and the only time I've boarded them was for 24 hours while we moved out of our old place.