Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

That's it baby just a bit to the left. Perfect. Now show us your tits.
I've got a cat that's all black with a layer of white fur underneath.

How rare is that? She's been neutered so I don't intend her to breed or anything like that, I'd just like to know more about this since neither I nor anyone that's met my cat have seen something like that.

You can tell that Kooky has a tiger pattern in the black though, kinda like how you can tell the black rings on black panthers in sunlight.

Women's Rights? posted:

I don't know how rare it is, but you are the only other person I've known to have a cat with fur like that. So you and your girl are not alone.

Does Kooky shed grey? Poko does. He leaves this halo of grey fur wherever he lingers.

Jesus, I didn't think it was THAT rare. And yes to the fur, basically all the hair is white up to like halfway, but the hair she sheds tends to be grey or white.

sam.freak fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

sam.freak posted:

How rare is that? She's been neutered so I don't intend her to breed or anything like that, I'd just like to know more about this since neither I nor anyone that's met my cat have seen something like that.

Oh my god I thought I was the only one with a cat like that! Poko has fur exactly like that. He looks black when you see him, but when he moves you can see the white fur underneath. I get mad because everyone assumes that he's bald in the pictures I take...he's not bald dammit! That's just white fur.

I don't know how rare it is, but you are the only other person I've known to have a cat with fur like that. So you and your girl are not alone.

Does Kooky shed grey? Poko does. He leaves this halo of grey fur wherever he lingers.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It's not super rare. Smoke persians have a similar design, with black or dark grey guard hairs and a much lighter undercoat. So your cat might have a double coat of some kind, since it sheds in the lighter color.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

sam.freak posted:

How rare is that?

I have a tortie cat who has white underneath both her black and orange fur. Like Mother Rucker said, it's called "smoke" or "Shaded" depending on how much is white. Some links:

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

sam.freak posted:

When I was volunteering for the shelter we had two kittens from the same litter with that pattern. From far away they both looked black, one had a grey/black/white tabby pattern that appeared in certain lighting and the other you had to part the hair to see the other color. One of the other volunteers dubbed them "the kittens with the silver lining".

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

The more you know :D

Cheers!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'll see if I have any pictures of my smoke persian Button aka Senor Poopypants (RIP) in his shaved state, which show his light grey nekkid bum contrasted with his black booties and face. At work and can't check.

Edit: said deceased cat has a song named after him (he makes a non-sequiteur appearance in it) and it just came up on my ipod. Spooooky :tinfoil:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 6, 2007

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
This makes me so sad. I miss my smoke shorthaired kitty, Sammy. He was my world.

If I ever see another kitty like him I will immediately snatch him up. Same with a female buff tabby like my Beeflagin.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I love smoke colored cats. In all my perusing of adoptee cats, I've only seen one. I saw another pure pred maine coon that was smoke colored at a cat show, but those people are crazy and I ain't going back.

There was a poster on here awhile back who had a smoke colored Siberian, but she seems to have been chased off.

MysteryAngel87
Sep 25, 2007
I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss 4 asparagus.
First off, all the pictures on here are very cute, I would post mine but I only have crappy cell phone pictures :(. My question is this. I have a 5 month old kitten named Timmy who is grey and white, I've noticed he has a bald spot right about his left eye. Also his right eye looks funny, the eye itself does not look infected but the skin surrounding it looks pink and puffy. One of my friends said it was probably from a scratch (both weird areas) from the two month old kitten named Sammy. I'm just not sure and I'm a little worried about the little guy.

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

randomity posted:

This makes me so sad. I miss my smoke shorthaired kitty, Sammy. He was my world.

If I ever see another kitty like him I will immediately snatch him up. Same with a female buff tabby like my Beeflagin.
Awesome. He looks like Kooky's twin brother or something, down to the white crest. RIP.

MysteryAngel87 posted:

First off, all the pictures on here are very cute, I would post mine but I only have crappy cell phone pictures :(.
Geez make me feel bad why don'tcha. (I posted crappy cellphone pics too.) Does he touch it a lot or something? does it hurt him when you touch him there?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

MysteryAngel87 posted:

First off, all the pictures on here are very cute, I would post mine but I only have crappy cell phone pictures :(. My question is this. I have a 5 month old kitten named Timmy who is grey and white, I've noticed he has a bald spot right about his left eye. Also his right eye looks funny, the eye itself does not look infected but the skin surrounding it looks pink and puffy. One of my friends said it was probably from a scratch (both weird areas) from the two month old kitten named Sammy. I'm just not sure and I'm a little worried about the little guy.

It wouldn't hurt to have your vet take a look at it. He might need antibiotics, or it could be something like ringworm that would need antifungal medication. Generally, I advise not to gently caress around when it comes to the eye area - it's easier to have a $40 exam to tell you nothing is wrong then to wait too long and have a problem that could have been fixed become chronic or spread into the eye itself.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
My kitten Curtis likes to lick my lips. This is weird, but not especially bothersome. Is that a weird habit unique to him, or do other people have cats that lick human lips?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

VikingKitten posted:

My kitten Curtis likes to lick my lips. This is weird, but not especially bothersome. Is that a weird habit unique to him, or do other people have cats that lick human lips?

My Maine Coon kitten Doogie does this. Then again, he'll wash my whole face.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Oooh ooh! Another stupid question.

Cersei the puppy REALLY LOVES to dig in the litter box. So I stuck the litter box under a chest of drawers. Curtis is small enough to climb in, but Cersei can't get her evil paws in there. However, Curtis is growing and I think he's not going to be able to squeeze in there pretty soon. What do I do? Any clever ideas?

Life, Love, Dicks
Jun 28, 2006

Evidently Dick was not an easy person to love but those that cared for him recognized his profound importance...
I'm glad this thread is here, because I've got a mouse problem!

I recently left my mouse, Moonsnazzle, at home for about a month while I was away. My roommate took good care of him, and he had lots of fresh water, food, and bedding. The problem, though, is that he didn't get much quality time with people during that month. He used to be my best buddy and would come right up and climb in my hand. As a consolation gift for being gone, I got him a new cage with a lot more space and some fun things to play in. He seems to really love his cage, but whenever I try to approach him, he gives my finger a tiny warning nip. He hasn't ever full-on bit me, but he's definitely telling me to go away!

My questions:
- Was it a bad idea to move him into a new cage right after I reintroduced myself?
- Should I keep trying to spend more time with him, or should I give him more time alone in the cage before trying to play with him again?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Question:

Hektor, my Siberian kitten, has been shedding an awful lot lately. Like, chunks at a time. The problem with this is that its goddamn minus 30 out already, so you'd think he'd be hoarding his fur. This only started about two weeks ago. We started noticing great wads of white fur on the blinds, or the area rug.

While I'm not sure this is entirely related, his breath is AWFUL, even for a cat. He is about 10 months old now and his gums appear a bit red and inflammed, but the smell could kill a full grown man from close up. He was napping in the crook of my arm this afternoon and yawned, and I cringed as the scent hit me from more than a foot away. What is going on here?

Little_Dead_Pets
Jul 3, 2006

Life, Love, Dicks posted:

My questions:
- Was it a bad idea to move him into a new cage right after I reintroduced myself?
- Should I keep trying to spend more time with him, or should I give him more time alone in the cage before trying to play with him again?

1. Probably added more stress to the situation, but I don't think it relates to his shyness towards you. That's water under the bridge at this point anyway.

2. How long has he been in the new cage? If tonight's his first night in there, I'd leave him alone to settle in. If not, try letting your hand rest on the floor of the cage and let him go about his business around your hand. Give it 10 minutes or so and try to pick him up again. If he freaks, put him down and leave him alone for a bit, then try one more time with the resting hand. Repeat nightly until he figures it out.

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

VikingKitten posted:

That reminds me of my rats Sesame and Maisie who used to clean my teeth (up to the molars). Probably not the smartest idea but hey what doesn't kill ya...

No Leaf Clover
Jun 27, 2007

satisfaction guaranteed
What are the logistics of keeping a spayed bitch in the same yard as an intact dog?

We've currently got a 9 mth rottweiler with one helluva pedigree, and he's not been desexed because we eventually plan to show him. We've got more than enough affection and time to spare for another dog, and our little guy would absolutely love the company, so we were thinking about adopting a (spayed) large breed girl from one of the animal shelters around here.

Problem is, I don't want to be signing some poor unsuspecting female up for constant harassment that she can't deal with once those hormones really kick in for our boy. Has anyone had experience with this kind of situation? Our other option is to adopt another male, but we're a bit concerned about territorial behaviour, especially when one of them will still be intact. Everything I've read suggests that the male/female pairing is the best, but is it going to be in this case?

I'd love to offer a happy home to a rescue dog, but am just not sure if it's going to be practical. Really appreciate any advice you guys can give!

Cornballer
Feb 27, 2005

ĄSoy loco por los Cornballs!
I bought a beautiful male betta about two months ago. He was blue/green/purple when I got him with just a touch of brownish red. I am a notorious fish killer and have had a hard time maintaining tanks in the past so I went all out for this single fish. I read up on betta care, bought everything I needed to create the ideal conditions for him, and have been especially careful in maintaining my tank and feeding my baby. Now he's a lot more reddish brown and the brilliant blue, green, and purple are not so brilliant.

I googled and got some mixed answers so I would really appreciate some expert betta advice here. Some say it's normal for fish to change colors. Other's say it's stress. The colors aren't his usual beautiful colors. More dull than anything. I'm worried I'm stressing out my poor baby.

I'm so careful with his water (testing, preconditioning, only doing a 25% water change at a time) and his tank conditions so I don't think that's the problem. I'm worried I am underfeeding him. I've heard and read that bettas are huge pigs and will overeat. I feed him 2 freeze dried bloodworms every two days. He gobbles these down as soon as they hit the water but I don't know if it's because he's hungry or because he's greedy. He's a very active fish and always has been. Am I underfeeding him and stressing him out? If so how much should I be feeding him? Could he be sick?

I can answer any questions concerning his water/tank conditions.

This is the longest I have ever kept any fish alive and I've learned so much about fish care from him so I don't want to lose him. I really love this fish.

Thank you guys.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

VikingKitten posted:

Cersei the puppy REALLY LOVES to dig in the litter box. So I stuck the litter box under a chest of drawers. Curtis is small enough to climb in, but Cersei can't get her evil paws in there. However, Curtis is growing and I think he's not going to be able to squeeze in there pretty soon. What do I do? Any clever ideas?

How big is your puppy? You could maybe make a litterbox enclosure that your cat can go through but your puppy can't. Put enough room in the enclosure to make a small "walkway" before the actual box, that way even if your pup tries to put her paws in, she won't reach the box.

An example of what I mean can be found here but you can obviously make one for yourself easily and cheaply. :)

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Cornballer posted:

I feed him 2 freeze dried bloodworms every two days. He gobbles these down as soon as they hit the water but I don't know if it's because he's hungry or because he's greedy. He's a very active fish and always has been. Am I underfeeding him and stressing him out? If so how much should I be feeding him? Could he be sick?

You're underfeeding him. My betta can easily handled 5 or 6 bloodworms a day, if he still has a round tummy the next day I'll skip a day.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Pineapple posted:

You're underfeeding him. My betta can easily handled 5 or 6 bloodworms a day, if he still has a round tummy the next day I'll skip a day.
Yeah. You should also give him betta pellets as a staple, I don't believe bloodworms are nutritionally complete. Hikari Gold makes good stuff and you can buy it in the chain stores. One little betta package will last you forever.

Cornballer
Feb 27, 2005

ĄSoy loco por los Cornballs!
Okay. Thanks. I'll try that brand of pellets. He's a super picky eater which is why I switched him from pellets to bloodworms in the first place. Maybe if he's hungry he'll actually eat them. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how he's doing then.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I bought a Platy about 2 months ago. Upon putting it in the tank, I noticed it was really fat. I just assumed that it was pregnant and that it would have it's babies eventually. Two months go by and it's still very fat. Is it possible that it might not be pregnant after all? It has two bottom fins, so it is female. I was under the assumption that all female live-bearers bought from stores were pregnant.

Little_Dead_Pets
Jul 3, 2006

Dead Pikachu posted:

I bought a Platy about 2 months ago. Upon putting it in the tank, I noticed it was really fat. I just assumed that it was pregnant and that it would have it's babies eventually. Two months go by and it's still very fat. Is it possible that it might not be pregnant after all? It has two bottom fins, so it is female. I was under the assumption that all female live-bearers bought from stores were pregnant.

One possibility is that she's storing a male's milt until she feels like fertilizing herself. If she's the only platy in the tank then it's probably the isolation that's keeping her stressed and not in baby making mode. Try adding another female or two to the tank and see what happens.(assuming you have room for more fish and all that...)

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Cuddlebottom posted:

Yeah. You should also give him betta pellets as a staple, I don't believe bloodworms are nutritionally complete. Hikari Gold makes good stuff and you can buy it in the chain stores. One little betta package will last you forever.

Ocean Nutrition betta pellets and TetraMin tropical granules are popular with my betta. The small can of granules lasts practically forever since I only give him 4 or 5 of those a day (they're bigger than the ON pellets, which I usually give him 7 of.

MysteryAngel87
Sep 25, 2007
sam.freak: No it doesn't hurt him to touch the bald spot.
Dr. Housecat MD: Yeah I'm going to take him to the vet to get a look at. He's already on antibiotics for an infection which gave him a fever, it seems to be helping his eye problem but his bald spot has gotten a little worse. It's completely bald and looks scabby. Are those symptoms of ring worm like you thought it was?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Farewell Horizon posted:

Question:

Hektor, my Siberian kitten, has been shedding an awful lot lately. Like, chunks at a time. The problem with this is that its goddamn minus 30 out already, so you'd think he'd be hoarding his fur. This only started about two weeks ago. We started noticing great wads of white fur on the blinds, or the area rug.

While I'm not sure this is entirely related, his breath is AWFUL, even for a cat. He is about 10 months old now and his gums appear a bit red and inflammed, but the smell could kill a full grown man from close up. He was napping in the crook of my arm this afternoon and yawned, and I cringed as the scent hit me from more than a foot away. What is going on here?

This happened to a very lovely cat that my friend had, it turned out that he was having kidney failure from another infection. You should really take your cat to the vet and have him looked at. Also, he had some ulcers in his mouth from the crap that his kidney's were spilling out, so please, if you don't think he needs a vet, watch him very closely.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

MysteryAngel87 posted:

sam.freak: No it doesn't hurt him to touch the bald spot.
Dr. Housecat MD: Yeah I'm going to take him to the vet to get a look at. He's already on antibiotics for an infection which gave him a fever, it seems to be helping his eye problem but his bald spot has gotten a little worse. It's completely bald and looks scabby. Are those symptoms of ring worm like you thought it was?

Bald and scabby, especially if it's itchy, I'd be worried about ringworm. Antibiotics wouldn't do jack for it, as ringworm is a fungus. It's also pretty contagious to other animals and to people as well. The plus side is that it's not really a big deal. It's just annoying. If either of the kitties are from a shelter, it's even more likely to be ringworm - it's very common in shelter situations.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Olive Bar posted:

This happened to a very lovely cat that my friend had, it turned out that he was having kidney failure from another infection. You should really take your cat to the vet and have him looked at. Also, he had some ulcers in his mouth from the crap that his kidney's were spilling out, so please, if you don't think he needs a vet, watch him very closely.

Sweet gently caress! Okay I'll get him to the vet as soon as possible.

MysteryAngel87
Sep 25, 2007
Ok that's what I wanted to know :) Thanks Dr. Housecat MD.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What are some good treats for mice? I've been giving them small washed pieces of whatever produce I have on hand (just apple and banana so far) but I also gave them a bit of the end piece from my loaf of wheat bread. I haven't specifically read anything about bread, but they just love it so goddamn much I can't stop :3:

The ASPCA website warns against cabbage, corn, peanuts, uncooked beans, onions, and then common sense things like candy. Anything else I should be aware of, good or bad?

Edit: They've been eating the boring block food, do they need seeds too?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

drat Bananas posted:

Edit: They've been eating the boring block food, do they need seeds too?
Seeds are junk food for rodents, a good block food is nutritionally complete. So use seeds as treats, not a staple.

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat
What was the name of that little dog (a corgi, maybe) that had a big following on these forums about a year ago? I remember she was adopted by someone on this forum after their owner completely didn't care about her and pretty much asked to have her euthanised. The dog had a sort of head tilt, and there was a photo of her running in a field with a chain of daisy crown on her head, amongst many other cool photos. People used to have a link to the thread and a photo of the dog in their signature.

If anyone remembers what I'm talking about, do you know what happened to her?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

baby duck hat posted:

What was the name of that little dog (a corgi, maybe) that had a big following on these forums about a year ago? I remember she was adopted by someone on this forum after their owner completely didn't care about her and pretty much asked to have her euthanised. The dog had a sort of head tilt, and there was a photo of her running in a field with a chain of daisy crown on her head, amongst many other cool photos. People used to have a link to the thread and a photo of the dog in their signature.

If anyone remembers what I'm talking about, do you know what happened to her?

Maybe Abuelita, who is a pomeranian?

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
I adopted my dog Ukiah from the shelter about 2 months ago. When the shelter brought her in she was seriously under weight and infected with a bunch of parasites which they treated. I've been feeding her about 1.5 times her recommended amount of food, but she hasn't gained much at all. I suspected something was up and had the vet check her stool for worms, but they warned me that tapeworm eggs can be hard to detect and her test came back negative.
So today I was out walking her in the park and decided to look at her poop, and sure enough she was nursing a happy colony of white wormy friends in her intestines. On the way home I picked up some dewormer (safe-guard) that I'm going to administer either tonight or tomorrow.

I was hoping to get some advice on what to expect in the deworming process. The package warns of vomiting, and I can handle that, but is there anything else I need to know or be ready for?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Nah, wormers are pretty benign. Don't worry too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I changed my water in my beta tank last night and I come home from work and they are both dead. Any ideas on what might have caused this?