Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is it normal for a kitty on antibiotics to act a little bit woozy and unsteady on his legs? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

TheGreatFezini posted:

But my husband is always getting onto me for being too rough with him. He complains if I push Wrigley or if I thump him with my hand during play. I don't think I'm being too rough because he doesn't stop playing and he doesn't escalate any aggression. Am I doing something wrong here?

Pfah, I always played with my German Shepherd this way, and that's a dog you really have to train properly when it comes to roughhousing. He would growl and shake the toy and jump around and generally look like a big hairy shark on legs. We always had to make sure we kept the toy afterwards so he wouldn't think he was the alpha dog, and also had to make sure that he knew he was ONLY allowed to bite those toys and nothing else. We also hit him quite a lot throughout the day, like smacking the base of his tail, and he'd just stand there with a big stupid grin and his eyes closed in bliss. If we ever hurt him accidentally (like stepping on his toe or something) he'd whine and look at us with this expression of mortified horror, so it was always drat obvious that the playing never caused pain.

If your husband is worried about aggression, then you might find this sorta useful... we had a command we'd use to immediately calm the dog down. If we said "gentle!" then he'd instantly stop what he was doing and start acting like he was on eggshells. Very useful when he was around small children or animals, or when accepting bits of food from someone's hands. Saying that word would change him from acting like a big slobbery excited clumsy beast to freezing and then very slowly licking a tiny baby chickie in my hand, or delicately taking a biscuit from between someone's fingers.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

noelcat posted:

I have a question about my fatty cat.

I was feeding both of my cats Blue Buffalo light cat food. Unfortunately, this gave my skinny guy diarrhea, and I changed him to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. Now my fat cat has decided she really enjoys stealing his food when I'm not looking (she never steals it when I'm around, but she has remained delightfully pudgy while her food dish remains full).

My question is, should I just give in and start giving my fat cat the sensitive stomach food so that she's eating? She's pretty much refusing to eat her own diet food for her fatass.

I've been having this problem too, what with a fatass stealing food not meant for him, except that he's perfectly happy with also polishing off his own. :btroll: He used to be a stray, and as such has no real sense of moderation. Thin cat free-feeds well enough, and when I put the food down he'll eat a few bites, wander off, then come back for more later when he needs it. Fatass, on the other hand, bolts it all down right away and then goes sniffing around for more, hence the fatness of his rear end. Right now I can just feed them both regulated small portions since I'm home most of the day, but lately I've acquired more of a social life and will soon be working full time, so there will be days when I'm just going to have to leave food out for them. Unfortunately, placing food on high places isn't going to work because Fatass is extremely active and agile, more so than my thin cat.

I could just leave huge amounts in both bowls to ensure my thin cat gets enough to eat, but then fatass will continue to grow fatter. And while locking them in seperate rooms would work for short periods, I do not want to do it all day because they each get upset when the other one isn't around.

I'm not expecting to find a magic solution on here, but eh, might as well post on the offchance.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cuddlebottom posted:

Our dogs are being dicks to our cat. They always seemed to enjoy annoying him, but now they've decided the greatest game ever is chasing him around the house. He's older and not as quick to get away, and he seems pretty pissed off by the whole thing. So it's time to stop it. They completely ignore me as soon as they get bolting, nothing short of grabbing them helps. One's deaf and the one that isn't might as well be. The hearing dog does know a light "leave it" but it doesn't help.

Maybe a spray bottle of water? A shot of cold liquid to the face should stop them, unless of course they decide they like it. Mine did. :mad:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I dunno where else to ask this, but I was wondering if it'd be possible for me to get geckos for my NSW house in Australia? There's a roach problem due to a lot of mud in the yard and wilderness outside, and I hate using traps and poo poo. I never had any bug problems in my Brisbane apartment because the place was infested with geckos... they were so awesome, I hardly never saw them and they only chirped occasionally at night, and I don't think my cat every managed to catch one since they can climb walls.

I know I read somewhere on here about a dude getting geckos somehow for his bug problems. No idea how he did it though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I heard the neighbour's dog crying the other day while they weren't home, and went over to pat it a bit. I hadn't seen it up close before, but I saw that it had black tumors hanging off it, I counted like eight and I'm sure there were more but it wouldn't get up to let me check. The tumors were just sorta wobbly lumps, like really big moles, and my (limited) knowledge of tumors is that if they're like that, they aren't malignant. But I've never seen that many on an animal before, kinda shocked me.

I don't know the neighbours well enough to know if they're concerned about their dog, or if they'd check up on that kind of thing. Sometimes they seem like responsible caring people and other times seem trashy as gently caress. I haven't seen them in weeks (high fence, mutual erratic hours) so I haven't spoken about it.

I'm probably worrying too much, but ew, tumors. Was wondering if anyone knows much about pet tumours and can confirm/deny that they might be harmless.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

What kind of dog is it? Some breeds (labs are one, I think) are just prone to getting them. Obviously I can't say for certain one way or another, but tumors doesn't necessarily mean the dog isn't being cared for.

Some kind of mongrel breed, definitely some red cattle dog in there, dunno what the rest is... staffordshire terrier maybe? It's a very sweet dog.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

The black coloring to them sounded... odd...

Even so, if these 'benign' lumps are swaying around, hitting things, dragging on the ground, or otherwise being traumatized/hurting the dog, they are more likely in the 'remove now' category even though they are technically 'benign.'

I dunno about black exactly, just dark in colour, grey or brown or something. The dog's skin looks dark under the fur.

And oh god no, they weren't that big. Just like... marble-size, I guess. They stuck out because the dog's hair is very short. The dog seems okay. Howls a bit, but I suspect it may be deaf.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Earlier today I saw that my cat had dragged an assortment of objects from around the house into her litter tray, including two unmatched shoes and a scarf. Cleaning it out, I found something liquidy splattered down the inside of the tray. It looked like a patch of black paint or melted plastic. The stuff had dried on there like glue. I actually wondered if it somehow *was* melted plastic off a shoe sole, or maybe oil or something, because it seriously didn't look organic. When I scraped a bit off to figure out what the gently caress, I took a small sniff and instantly dry-heaved. Rotten eggs and expired milk have nothing on this monstrous stench, it was seriously that awful.

When I washed it off the tray I had to use boiling water to get it unstuck, and even then it didn't dissolve but had to be scraped away with the litter scoop.

What the gently caress was that and did it seriously come out of my cat? :gonk: She seems totally fine. Maybe a little sleepier than usual, but it's raining which always pisses her off. Mostly she's been following me about the house and then lying like a slob across whatever I'm working on. Nothing to indicate she's given birth to an alien or whatever.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Niemat posted:

It's hairball season, and I have two two-year-old long haired cats who like to puke up hairballs this time of year like it's going out of style! I had heard cat grass would help them with their hairballs, so I got some seeds and grew some. However, both cats are wildly disinterested in their cat grass, to put it lightly. Does anyone know a way to get my cats interested in their cat grass, or if it's worth my time to get them interested in cat grass?

Along those lines, if anyone has any anti-hairball tips, I would also greatly appreciate those! I know there are pastes and such to help with hairballs, but my husband and I work such weird, non regular schedules that I wouldn't be able to give them the paste at regular times or more than once a day. We got some anti-hairball fish flavored gel from our vet a while ago, but it requires us to give it to the cats at regular intervals during the day for x number of days, before switching to y number of times every z number of days, which doesn't really work with our schedules. :(

This may seem obvious, but have you tried just brushing them? Just buy a regular hairbrush, the kind with hard bristles, and go at them for a few minutes every couple of days. Keep a wastepaper bin nearby to dispose of the masses and masses of seemingly infinite cat hair. Cats also love being brushed, it's a key social element to them, like apes picking nits off each other. They will adore the crap out of you for it.

I had a bad flea problem in my last place, and flea-combed my cat every day. In the new place she was flea-free, so I stopped, and a month later she produced her first ever hairball. I'd never seen one before, took me a while to figure out what the hell she just puked up. She also seemed more withdrawn and depressed during that time (as far as you can tell in a cat), but after I started brushing her again she perked right the gently caress up and started acting like a snuggley kitten.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Niemat posted:

No worries! We do brush them--they're just really dedicated to the cause, apparently. :(

My cat ignores grass unless I pick off a blade and feed it to her by hand. Then she's all over that poo poo. Still pukes hairballs though, so... yeah.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

You may have to just shut Mona in your room at night or when you're out. Like you said, there's no other real way to stop a cat going where it wants to go. If Mona wants a refuge from Bella then she may not mind so much. That means having the litterbox in your room, but it can't be worse than your carpet's been.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with your problem, but I wanted to point out that when a cat dies of urinary or kidney problems it's almost always due to what they were being fed. You might be aware of this already, but the majority of cat food is actively bad for them. If you own a cat you pretty much *need* to get the expensive stuff. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir but nearly everyone I know feeds their cats garbage, and I did for a long time.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Do you think my plan of locking both out for a few weeks and gradually letting Mona in will work? I may put down pee pads instead of a litter box, since the spot is right in front of the door and a box would block entry. I just don't want to have to go through this again, and I don't want to be smelling pee. What's worse is when I have guests over, I know they smell it more intensely than I do. I don't want to be one of those people who are so oblivious to cat smells that I don't clean/prevent them.

Umm... well is there a reason why can't you do what I suggested? You said yourself that Mona has no refuge from Bella. You don't need to put the litterbox right on top of the place where they peed, just in your room somewhere. If you're really worried about her re-peeing on the spot, do what the other poster suggested and put down a rubber sheet or something.

The carpet will probably always smell of pee to a cat, not much you can do about that. And if it still smells to you or your guests then you might just need to pay for new carpeting, or for someone to come clean it professionally.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Coolguye posted:

This seems to be the best place on the forum to ask, because I sure don't want to make a new thread:

My dog recently died, and I have to start thinking about another dog because the lowered stress has very measurable health benefits with my situation. The biggest thing that I loved about my last dog (border collie, probably cut with some lab or something because the dude was nearly 3 foot tall to the shoulder and 80 pounds) was that he was clever and empathic as hell. I don't mean 'smart, easy to train', I mean perceptive, understanding, and able to figure things out all on his own.

I'd like to try to find another really clever dog. Obviously border collies have a reputation for being really bright, but beyond that I have no idea. I like mutts, but I need to be aware of which breeds to look for beyond border.

My family has had two German Shepherds, and they are smart as gently caress. They also talk and emote all the time, like Chewbacca. They require a ton of work though, physical stimulation and mental.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gonna go out on a limb and guess he got bitten by something irritating, like a tick or a spider, and went to town on the itchy spot...?

e: lookit dat big nosey

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've never used it, but I've seen people on these forums post about how great Feliway is all the time. And I don't even post/lurk here all that often.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Black Noise posted:

Roommate has a cat and the litter box odor makes the entire basement reek and im curious if there is anything that can be done about the smell

Are they kinda lazy with taking care of the litter? It's gross, but just something you gotta do if you own an indoor cat. For the record cats loving hate it as much as you do when their litter smells. Tell the roommate that if they're slow doing it purely for your sake. They don't need to change the whole thing every day but keeping a litter poo-free is essential to having air you can breathe.

If they're responsible and clean, and it's just the enclosed space making life hard, then there are various litter brands you can try. Someone listed some a few pages back I think.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, I've seen it now and then with my cats, it means your cat is pissed. After I gave one cat a bath once, he hid under the bed for an hour, then came out and started to 'play' with my hand. He got overly aggressive so I wrapped my hand in a cloth, and he actually got up and moved so he could attack my exposed arm instead.

It seems to be just YOU ARE BAD YOU DID BAD THINGS I BITE YOU. :mad: Most animals have tantrums now and then. Once they get their frustrations out they're usually fine. If I know my cat is upset because of a vet visit or whatever, I'll usually try to initiate some playbiting so she can wreck my hand and get it over with.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

My cat is bitey in the same way, although he's been like this for years. He was ejected by his previous owners for roughing up other cats. He bites my hand and tries to grab it with his claws. He doesn't growl but makes an unhappy meow noise ("mmmrrrrrr :mad: "). This happens usually when he's sitting in or on my computer chair and I'm near him.

And yet he's a sweet kitty and still sleeps with me at night most of the time. :3:

If he's doing this because he's pissed, why is he so angry?

Squeeger asked why his/her cat was specifically doing it now when he'd never done it before. If your cat's been doing it forever he's probably just a dick, sorry.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Have you noticed her licking that spot at all? Maybe she's licking it bald.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Heeeeeelp

Kitty has tick. She's fine, but I can't get the fucker out. My tweezers, quite frankly, are cheap pieces of poo poo. They've mostly been okay when cat or I have gotten ticky before, but this time all I managed to do is yank off the abdomen and piss off my cat. The front part of the body is still in there, and I just can't grip the loving thing. It's 10pm on Sunday night in a small town, no way am I going to find a chemist open where I can get nonshit tweezers.

Is there any way to actually get a tick out without using tweezers? Medical sites all say, "Simple, if you have no tweezers just use a tick remover! :downs:" And every other site says "Use rubbing alcohol or lit matches", which aside from sounding like something that will make my cat kill me, I'm pretty sure these don't work.

I have some spray-on Frontline, it says I can kill ticks by applying the stuff straight on, but that sounds kinda dodgy. And it might get into the wound or something.

e: the cat is totally fine despite everything, she's pretty tick resistant and she's still eating and jumping around and whining that I'm not playing with her. I'm keeping an eye on her in case the traumatised tick poison affects her, but she just grabbed me and kicked the poo poo out of my arm and purred joyfully about it, so she's probably okay for now.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dr. Chaco posted:

Getting the tick off immediately isn't an emergency, it's just icky. That said, it may die eventually and fall of with the Frontline, but the longer it is on there the more potential for it to transmit disease, so if you can't get it off this morning call your vet and see if they'll do it or if they can sell you a tick-remover. They might even do it as a "tech appointment" instead of making you see the doctor (and charging you for the doctor's time), like a nail trim or vaccine.

I dunno what ticks are like in the US, but I live in NSW Australia where the ticks will legit kill you if left on your body, even if you are a human. Because she's had lots of them before, she's semi-resistant to the poison. This one was huge in its adult stage and she was still cheerful. Anyway, I shoved some Frontline on the thing before I went to bed, which cat hated, and this morning she was hiding from me and very upset but the area is scabbed over instead of all red-raw like yesterday.

So... good, I guess!

Poor kitty, day before yesterday I gave her a flea treatment. I wrestled her into a blanket and put two nasty stinky chemical things on her in as many days. She's so upset. :smith: Kitty you are such a wussy princess.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Don't know where else to post this? Found my cat in the yard playing with a very small mouse. It wasn't moving much and cat didn't seem bothered when I took it off him, so I'm wondering if it was just something he found rather than caught. It's pretty obvious it's not going to live, I'm just not sure what to do.

It's small, even for a wild mouse, and it uh... seems to have no eyes. At first it looked like the eyes had grit stuck in them but the little eye holes actually seem to be *empty* and what I thought was dirt is like dried eye gunk or something in and around the lids. There was an ant crawling on its head, frantically trying to get in the eyes. :gonk: The mouse itself just hunkers down and doesn't like to move so it's probably in pain, and when it tries it kinda jitters and staggers around, so something's not right in there anyhow.

I've put it in a box, with some water in a bottle lid, but I think that mouse is just gonna sit there, not moving, until it finally dies. It might be kinder to just kill it, but I'm horribly squeamish and I wouldn't even know how. :( I've put the box up high where the ants won't find it, but I dunno what I should be doing, or what I'll do if it's alive in the morning.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Moral posted:

Well drat that really sucks. We had our heart set on getting one. Maybe we'll try out a pot belly pig, her parents used to own them and she said that they were great pets they just passed away when she was really small so she doesn't remember them a whole lot. Thanks for the info!

lol, please be a troll.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

My douchebag semi feral cat brought home a lil wild mousey just now. It seems fine, active and alert, except uh... he's pretty obviously broken its spine somehow. Its back legs do not work. Doesn't seem to be in any pain, it just can't move those legs.

I made up a box with some food and water and old rags, and it's just wandering around in there with its back legs dragging uselessly. I made some holes in the lid and put it up where cat can't reach, and now I'm going to bed. Not sure what else to do. I am not going to kill it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hummingbirds posted:

It's going to die anyway, so you can let it suffer or kill it. Maybe you could take it to a vet and they'll euth it for you.

How is it going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lol goddamn you guys

anyway I opened the box earlier and mouse is hopping around on normally-functioning legs, so I guess its back was not broken. either the cat injured a nerve that is now better, or it was so stressed that part of its brain stopped working but it's ok now.

he'll probably go next door soon, so I'll go release it in the yard when he's gone.

it sure did poop a lot