Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND and I are moving across the greater metro area within the next few months. This is worthy of question to PI because of our little friend Charlie, who will be making that move with us.

He's ready to go!

Actually not. He hates leaving our place, and when put into a carrier, which is then placed in a car, he carries on in a way that could only be described as ungodly. I won't put the windows down in the car, because I'm afraid of someone thinking he's in serious distress.

The question is, what is the best way to go about this little transition for him. The car trip will be a half hour, which is twenty-eight minutes more than any human could be in the car with him alert and distressed. I am terrified to give him any sort of medication, but could the vet give us something? Is this worthy of giving him tranquilizers? It's not even just for me having to drive him around, but he is absolutely terrified for the entirety of the trip. It's got to be taking months off of his life.

Charlie demands an answer.

Ugh, sounds like our cat, Katie. And she also terror-pees! We had to drive her when we moved from Ottawa to Montreal (2 hour trip) and she was pretty upset. Yowled the whole way, with a brief stop when we stopped at a rest area. But I think drugs would have just made her feel more shaky and disoriented.

Anyway, she adjusted just fine once we arrived. You may want to think about getting some Feliway plugins, though. Those seemed to help Katie a lot with our previous move. (two blocks - we just carried her!) This time, she seemed to be so drat relieved that she wasn't in the car anymore that she adjusted to new apartment without much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Does anybody know if granola bar wrappers are radio-opaque?

Yesterday morning, one of our ferrets got into a box of granola bars, ripped one up, and ate a bit. When he started vomiting like crazy about 8 hours later, we realized that a piece of the wrapper was missing. We don't know if he ate it or just hid it under something that we haven't been able to find yet. When I took him to the e-vet last night, they weren't able to see anything on the x-rays and just gave him some meds to settle his digestive system a bit. He's been keeping food down fine since then, and while a couple of his poops overnight were slightly pink-tinged (possibly from his wiggling while his temperature was being taken) they're totally back to normal now, with no sign of passing the piece of wrapper.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows if those wrappers even show up on x-ray. They're the thin foil kind, looks basically like this:

maplecheese fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 8, 2010

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

KilGrey posted:

Getting him on a food to combat the crystals is more important than whether the food is ultra-premium or not. The vet might even recommend Science Diet prescription food. It's great to have cats on good food, but crystals extremely painful and can kill him, being on crappy food wont. Unfortunately there aren't any premium foods that combat crystals like the Science Diet stuff. You should go with what your vet recommends, especially when it's concerning a medical issue like this.

Agreed. The most important thing is to avoid crystals... THEN worry about everything else. Beichan, if you're concerned with the quality of the food your vet suggests, ask if there's a particular WET food that s/he thinks would work instead. Most prescription foods come in wet and dry varieties, and while the wet ones are often still a bit byproduct-y, they at least aren't chock full of corn.