Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
So my dog has allergies. To something. We don't really know what. The first vet said it was probably a contact allergy (grass or something) the second vet said flea allergies, the third vet said general allergies and that I should probably have her allergy tested.

She's on frontline right now, and will be switched to comfortis after we're done with the frontline. She's currently eating Solid Gold "Just a Wee Bit". I think it's bison and salmon. I've been given anti-histamines, anti-histamines with steroids, and special shampoos and lotions. Nothing really seems to work.

My questions are:

What do allergies look like on dogs? She's itchy alot, and pretty frequently develops "hot spot" looking places on her skin. Her hair is in decent shape, but around the itchy areas it gets thin and kind of coarse.

Also, if it's an allergy to something, how long until I start to see improvement? Like, if it's flea/food/who the hell knows allergies, and she's being treated, how long will it take her to not itch?

Lastly, is there anything this could be that isn't an allergy? She has yet another vet appointment next week to deal with the new set of irritated areas.

TL;DR, My dog's skin has problems, any idea what it might be so we can stop going to the vet every three weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I think this post just made my eyes bleed. Please tell me you're dyslexic or drunk.

Dyslexic doesn't even cover half of those spelling errors.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

seconding what gorejess has said. Don't buy from 1800petmeds, I purchased advantage from them a few months ago and my dog was still pretty much flea ridden. We've since switched to frontline (from foster and smith) and she's itch free.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

Ok, so I woke up to two piles of...something this morning. My best guess is a case of assplosion or serious hairball issues. I've since cleaned them up and am monitoring the critters, but everyone seems to be doing ok; eating, drinking, using the box/going outside when I take her. My main question is, since my only pet illness experiences deal with respiratory infections and skin problems, what should I look for so that I can get them to the vet in time?

I'm assuming that since both of them are still being general pests and eating and drinking, they're probably still healthy, and that last night was just a fluke. But I'm still a little worried, since I'm pretty sure neither one got into anything that would cause stomach upset.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

For anyone who might be interested, I've got a couple of feliway diffusers for sale in SA Mart.

Edit: Cleared this with Khelmar prior to posting, please don't kill me.