Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

noelcat posted:

No, I can afford it. I actually used to feed my cats Purina CatChow until I discovered Pet Island here on SA, and switched to Blue Buffalo when I realized that CatChow poo poo. But since my skinny cat loves his sensitive stomach Science Diet, I don't see a reason to try him on some of the "heavier" foods like Innova if there's a chance that it might make him sick again.

If Innova is available to you, how about California Natural, made by the same company (Natura)? That line is a lot easier on the stomach, as the ingredient list is basically meat source, rice or sweet potatoes, then vitamins.

Also, if you have any smaller local stores in the area, they may be willing to give a few days worth of samples so you don't have to keep buying bag after bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
One of our regular customers has requested we get hamster seed and bedding for her to save her a trip to one of the larger stores out of town. For bedding, our distributor only carries cedar, pine (I know those two are bad), corn cob, and aspen. Which of those would be best?

Also, the brands of seed we can get are Higgins and Sun Seed. Any preference on those?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Notgothic posted:

I've started playing the violin recently, and one of my cats goes nuts over it. I'm not sure if she's enjoying it, or if the sound is just making her crazy, but she's the only one out of the five currently living with us who has any reaction. It's usually just when I'm playing something including the E-string that she gets excited; she tries to get as close to the violin as possible, and when I stop she gives me the inquisitive meow. She's getting more and more of a pain about it though, I had to exile her from my room during practice after she decided it was a great idea to leap on me and start climbing to get to the violin.

What the hell is wrong with my cat?

My first dog hated when I played my tuba, my current dog really freaks out when I play my trumpet. My roomate's dog was scared of digeridoos. While the first dog would just stare warily at my tuba, my current dog tries to bite the bell of my trumpet. Besides not ever really playing it anymore, I just don't take it out with him in the room, although I have to deal with him freaking out outside the door. :)

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
My fishtank bucket, new and never used outside of filling the tank and aging the water, had some orangey goo sitting on the bottom of the bucket today. It had been sitting out about 2 days... could it be rust from my pipes or what?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Braki posted:

Speaking of Orijen, I bought a bag of Orijen 6 Fresh Fish for Cats today. I bought a trial size, and a large bag. The odd thing is, the trial bag is 400g and costs $3, while the big bag is 2.5kg and costs $26. If you bought an equivalent volume of trial bags, it'd only cost $18.75, which means you're actually losing almost $8 by buying the big bag. Does this seem weird to anyone? I thought big bags were cheaper by volume so you'd get a better deal and would ultimately spend more. Has anyone else ever had this happen with other brands?

This happened at my store recently with the new Merrick Before Grain. the 1 LB bags are $2.50, the 3.3 LB are around $11. I'm hoping this is just an introductory sort of thing, because I hate having to stock so many of those tiny bags, and lowering the price of the larger bags just isn't feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
What I generally do for bettas is feed two small meals a day (2-3 pellets of the Hikari Bio-Gold), and take one day off on the weekend. Every once in awhile (every 1-2 weeks) I'll give him a tiny bit of pea for fiber instead of a meal, and replace meals with brine shrimp or blood worms probably once a week also. That's pretty specific, so you can mix it up to see what works for you. What I do is more or less what was recommended on the betta-talk website in the PI FAQ.