Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife and I adopted a 2 year old Irish Setter this past August (she was abandoned over night in a lady's yard EXTREMELY skinny and with a very young pup). Her name is Amber and she is an amazing dog. We keep her outside (in the back yard during the summer/spring) and for the winter months we moved her kennel (with insulated dog house - no door though) to our front porch in order to provide a little more shelter. We have fed her the same food since we got her (3 small scoops of dry food combined with a can of wet dog food) and we feed her twice daily along with random treats throughout the week (she really likes BusyBones). Last week, we decided to try something new and we brought Amber inside to sleep in our kitchen (only room with tile floor) that night. She did well throughout the night (whimpered some but no barking) and my wife woke up in the morning and brought her out and petted her before taking her back out into her kennel. A day or so later, Amber essentially stopped eating her food. She would eat a little, if any and that would be it; when normally she would clean the bowl out. Also, she does not come out of her dog house as much as she did before and I do not think she has been drinking as much water as she did before. We switched to only dry food because we thought that maybe the food was freezing before she could eat it but she will not even eat the dry only. Today, it was 60 degrees outside and she still did not eat. I have only gotten her to eat some cheese slices (she would pick those out of her food and not eat anything else)in the last few days. After I took her for her walk, she would lick water off of my hands but not out of her bowl and then she would just constantly lick my hands.

I have tried searching the internet to find an idea of what might be going on, but I have came up empty. So does anyone have an idea or has someone went through something similar. When I have a chance I will post her picture to the picture thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It has been 2 to 3 days so far...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Here's an animal question not deserving its own thread:

Why do people have dogs and leave them outside, other than livestock guardian dogs?

Because animals have amazingly survived throughout time in the outdoors. Also, because our landlord does not allow us to have animals inside (hell, we are getting around the lease just by having the kennel on the front porch)

But thanks for nothing, keep up the good work.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Because we love her and want to keep her around. If it was not going to cost so much, we were going to fence in the backyard (of a house that we are only renting for a year) so she could have more room. It was either this, or the lady was going to take her to a shelter (which all of the shelters around here are "euthanize" shelters) so we were hoping to give her a better chance.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

You live somewhere it gets below freezing. Your dog is not a livestock guardian or property guardian. Frankly, I'd rather see my own dogs euthanized than live like that. My dogs have their own couch, for christs sake.

She does protect our property....she really hates the mailman.