Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
This makes me so sad. I miss my smoke shorthaired kitty, Sammy. He was my world.

If I ever see another kitty like him I will immediately snatch him up. Same with a female buff tabby like my Beeflagin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

platzapS posted:

Ed: More generally, why do cats pop their rears into the air sometimes if you stroke down the back? I know this can't be unique, because comedian George Carlin noted the same thing with his cat.

I hate to tell this to people because it really freaks them out, but it's a mating response. You're turning your cat on by stroking it on the back. It's called "lordosis behavior." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordosis_behavior

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Bullshit. If you hated to tell people this, you wouldn't. You obviously enjoy shocking them.

The best reaction to the information was my sister's. She looked like she had been hit by a 2x4. It's really not something you forget easily either, especially when you have a little slut cat who just loooooves the butt elevator.

But really this time I was just answering the question. :shobon:

Also Lioness, thank you for bringing that up. I had always wondered why male cats showed the same behavior, but never really bothered looking into it. Makes sense now.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

mr. nazi posted:

Can someone provide a link for me to the large rubbermaid containers that they use for "top entry" style litterboxes? I want to get one but would like to know the dimensions to see if it will fit in the current litterbox area.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's like this thing: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd150024

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Lioness posted:

I work at a research cat colony with nearly a thousand cats. Each kitten has its ears tattooed between 6-10 weeks of age for identification purposes. In the right ear goes the year they were born and in the left ear a number incrementing by one for each kitten born, starting at 001 each year. They get over it after about 3 minutes and then don't care anymore. We have some cats who hate people but we also have some cats who will try to jump/climb up into your arms and rub all over you if you go into the group cages with them. I highly doubt the ear tattoos have anything to do with either attitude.

This sounds like the best job ever. :unsmith:

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Is it illegal for a pet shop to sell a Coatamundi? If I can get this place shut down I will, the living conditions are atrocious. Thye had 5 full grown degus in a 10-gallon aquarium running around on bare cedar shavings. No shelter, and no food or water that I could see. It was packed full, a horrendous way to live. Everything else was just horrifying. They had a Fennec Fox curling in a corner of his cage, just laying there wimpering; obviusly seriously ill chinchillas; ferrets absolutely PLEADING for attention; and all kinds of other miserable animals. I'm hoping that the Coatamundi is an illegal sell and that enough will be able to shut them down, other than that I'm not sure what to do. This shop is in Rural Arkansas. If anyone knows how to help me, either PM or my aim is redhair4321 ...should be online pretty regularly starting tomorrow, depending on my currently hospitalized grandfather's condition

They also had the aforementioned Fennec Fox and a Kinkajou. Those, along with the Coatamundi, are the ones that caught my mind as possibly being illegal here. We can't even have pet skunks.

**This browser does not have spelling check so I apologize, I've done I best could do with the animal names.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Lakshmi posted:

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but does anybody use anything like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751261#RatingsDetail

I was just wondering if you have to buy the replacement "refill odor barrier bags" every time you dump what's inside. I'm hoping you can just dump it every week or so, and then replace the bags every two months or so like it says. I'd only be using it for poop, since I don't use clumping litter. Anyone have any thoughts?

My sister has one and she says it's such a pain in the rear end to use that she'd rather just scoop the poop, put it in plastic Wal-Mart bags, and take it outside to the trash.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Women's Rights? posted:

What the hell is wrong with my cat? I took him in on Monday because he'd been more pukey than normal last weekend (vomitting has stopped), and the vet and I discovered that he's lost 3 lbs in the past 9 months (was nearly 15 lbs in April '08 when I brought him in for vaccines, is now 11 lbs 12 ounces). So far everything on him has come back normal - vet listened to all the major organs and felt for any lumps where there shouldn't be and that was totally fine, they ran a CBC on him and everything there came within the perfectly normal range.

The vet said at this point he wants to wait a week for me to bring him back in to see if there's any changes in his weight, and then after that we'll go with either regular x-rays or barium to make sure everything is working okay in his digestive tract. If that doesn't come back with any results, then I don't know what the gently caress. Professor eats California Natural food with occassional Tempting Tidbits or Pit'R'Pat once a day as a nummy, and he's been eating, drinking, and using the litter box just fine. I haven't been trying to make him lose weight, and 3 lbs is an awful lot in less than a year. He wasn't even fat last year, because I remember specifically asking the vet if I should work on slimming him down and the vet said no, he's just a big guy, that's a perfectly healthy weight for him.

You just aren't having good luck are you. :( I hope he's OK.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Edoraz posted:

This question probably has been answered a million and one times, but...

My female cat sometimes bolts out of her liter box, which is located in the bathroom, after she has done her business. Sometimes she comes out really chill like, and all like "what.", but then there are the moments when she has to come out Mark 5. One night, I decided to chase her down, after hearing her cry. I found her, and she bolted again.

What the hell? <:v:> I'm sure this is normal kitty behavior, but I'm still curious to know what is up.

I saw a great post about this a long time ago about how apparently cats are so excited about their amazing dump that they get hyper. Unfortunately I can't in any way replicate it, but yeah. I figure that's what it is.

What are these pies posted:

On of them, Annie, has been super-lethargic the past week, and has lost tons of weight. She went to the vet today, and he found that she had a bowel obstruction (which was such good news, we thought she had an adrenal tumor). So the doc gave use a tube of laxative gel to feed to her. But she will not eat it willingly. I have to hold her up by the neck (I'm not sure what that hold is called- the one ferrets use on their kits?)

Scruffing? Have you tried mixing it with some type of treat that she really likes? Maybe stinky wet cat food?

Randomity fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 1, 2009

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I would think if it's between her getting that laxative down or being put to sleep I'd do whatever it takes to get it down. And I'm sure you agree by the way I'm not insinuating otherwise.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Yes I just did a little research and that is Solanaskyes's dog.
That dog's name was Angelskye four-leaf clover and here's a post by Solana mentioning that being her dog's name: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3058287&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post355246703

Edit: Here's the link from the Eukanuba website: http://www.akc.org/nationalchampion...mber=2008277101

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

randomity posted:

Yes I just did a little research and that is Solanaskyes's dog.
That dog's name was Angelskye four-leaf clover and here's a post by Solana mentioning that being her dog's name: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3058287&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post355246703

Edit: Here's the link from the Eukanuba website: http://www.akc.org/nationalchampion...mber=2008277101

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that is Solana in that picture but I'd have to go back to Cathis's dogshow thread to be completely positive.

Hey quote is not edit

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I dunno I'm starting to think maybe this ferret saga is actually deserving its own thread. A lot of educated PI'ers don't keep up with this thread, and they might know something that could save the poor weasel's life. Good luck, what are these pies. I hope she makes it through this. :(

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Rated PG-34 posted:

I haven't asked her these questions yet, but I'm sure she would answer them if I did. She offered to deliver the puppy early as she would be in town, and I could avoid the trouble of having to travel to her kennel. However, you're right; 6-weeks is much early, and I'm concerned about her other breeding practices now.

Post the name of the kennel and the dog experts here would be happy to examine her breeding practices for you if she has a website.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

ChairmanMeow posted:

has anyone tried this litter box?
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3760544t400.jpg
did the cats take to it?

Just get a big Rubbermaid tub and cut a hole in the lid. It'll be cheaper, so not a huge deal if the cat doesn't take to it.

Also, PI recommends the Rubbermaid with hole in lid thing a lot.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

kimbo305 posted:

Can anyone ID this beetle?:

I think it's an Eastern Hercules Beetle. I gotta goon friend who goes by theYeti who is pretty into bugs and could tell for sure, but he seems to have gone to bed or something. :rolleyes:

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Satarufosu posted:

This is an issue people inquire about, and you are telling people that they're answering for cheap kicks rather than to provide information?
That's bullshit. You seem to enjoy to be combative for no reason.
Unless you're freaked out that cats have this behaviour, which makes you narrow-minded. And a hypocrite.

Good job responding to a post made two years ago.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
How much canned pumpkin should I give a 65 pound dog with diarrhea? We're snowed in at the moment so I can't get her to the vet, and probably won't be able to until Wednesday. :(

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Orfeo posted:

My dog just had to go to the vet because of a case of pyoderma, so she's pretty drat miserable right now. She's been prescribed antibiotics, medicated shampoo, and brushing. But there are lots of patches where the hair is really loose and falling out in clumps, due to the infection. Would it be a good idea to brush those areas out, even if it causes bald spots in her coat?

I just want her to be happy again. :sigh:

My dog gets periodic patchy skin infections as a result of an autoimmune disorder. We just have to treat the infections with antibiotics as they show up (usually a new one pops up about a week after finishing a course of antibiotics). As the infections heal, the hair in those spots gets really loose. I just slowly work it out with my fingers, because the brush can snag the skin or rip out the clumps too quickly/painfully. It's gross work because there's always skin flakes and sometimes some dried pus in the area. The first time I just kinda did it on a whim, when I told my vet about it she told me to keep doing it, just make sure the infection spot has fully healed before I do it.

Here's a terrible pic that shows her biggest spot, this one popped up around Christmas and we had to wait a couple days before we could get the antibiotic. You can also see the gross flakes in her fur behind the spot. Most of them are about silver dollar-sized, and she probably has about 10 or 12 spots now.

So yeah, not a vet, but my dog has similar issues and my vet told me to gently work the clumps out with my fingers. It doesn't hurt her, although she does get a little uncomfortable at times. I stop when she starts showing signs of discomfort and start back up the next day.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Noby Goatse Boy posted:

Ha ha my cat was sticking his tongue out when I was rubbing his belly today what does that mean. Also he always jumps in my chair when I get up do cats like butt heat??

The answers to your questions are #1 Cats are weird and #2 Yes, cats like all heat.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Found a kitten at work. Very tiny, looks to be in rough shape. Haven't been able to catch it yet. If I do catch it and keep it in the bathroom for a couple days until vets / shelters are open, are there any diseases I could be exposing the other cats to? They would be separated by the bathroom door, and of course I'd wash my hands after touching the kitten.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Randomity posted:

Found a kitten at work. Very tiny, looks to be in rough shape. Haven't been able to catch it yet. If I do catch it and keep it in the bathroom for a couple days until vets / shelters are open, are there any diseases I could be exposing the other cats to? They would be separated by the bathroom door, and of course I'd wash my hands after touching the kitten.
Update: caught the kitten. Pics tomorrow.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Randomity posted:

Update: caught the kitten. Pics tomorrow.
Here's a preview.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Kitten is very angry. Not a people cat. I know the best thing to do in these situations is sit down and do something quiet in the room with the kitten so it gets used to you, but I have a 10 month old who I have to keep an eye on all of the time, plus I work full time, my husband works full time and attends school full time, and we are in the process of moving to a new (no pets allowed) apartment. I just don't have time. I would love to socialize the kitty before sending it to the shelter so it would have a chance, but I just can't. :( I know if I drop it off tomorrow it will be euthed but I don't know what else to do.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Enelrahc posted:

That's a lot to handle with a young baby. If you can find someone who can keep it for a week and socialize it in their bathroom, then that's a good thing. Otherwise I'd say you did your best and you gave the kitten a good few warm and cozy days with food and it didn't get hit by a car or starve to death. It sucks pretty badly but it's better than a lovely life on the street and you unfortunately can't always save them all.
I only really have one friend who would have the time and patience to do such a thing, and she lives in Oklahoma city (I'm in central Arkansas). I'll try to sit with the kitty for a while after my kid goes to bed, if there's any progress there I do have tomorrow off so I'll just take it day by day.

edit: This is what kitty does if you get in its line of sight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFeKU_zpcQE

I have since put a hot water bottle and pile of towels back behind the toilet, since that's where I always find it when I go in there.

Randomity fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 6, 2011

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
So I sat with the kitten while it ate, then while it was eating I started petting it. I expected it to run away and hide. I did not expect this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Db34VtZFO0 (I moved the phone at 0:43 seconds in and you get a better view of the kitten).

Purring like a motorboat the whole time. :3: Kitten is a sweet, attention starved little thing, was just scared. I am so sad and :3: at the same time. I'm keeping it another day to try to give it more attention and socialization, and taking some good pics with my dad's camera to put on Facebook to see if I can find a home for it myself. I *still* don't really have time for this, but when I first heard that purring start up my eyes filled with tears and I realized I can't give up just yet.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Randomity posted:

So I sat with the kitten while it ate, then while it was eating I started petting it. I expected it to run away and hide. I did not expect this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Db34VtZFO0 (I moved the phone at 0:43 seconds in and you get a better view of the kitten).

Purring like a motorboat the whole time. :3: Kitten is a sweet, attention starved little thing, was just scared. I am so sad and :3: at the same time. I'm keeping it another day to try to give it more attention and socialization, and taking some good pics with my dad's camera to put on Facebook to see if I can find a home for it myself. I *still* don't really have time for this, but when I first heard that purring start up my eyes filled with tears and I realized I can't give up just yet.

Temporary name is Batcat:

"PET ME!!!!!"

I can't tell if it's male or female. It's very squirmy and I am not an expert on cat genitalia. Sexing kittens was easier back when I had a litter of em, because then I could compare and contrast. I tried to get pics for one of you who is more versed in the distinguishing of feline nether regions, but yeah. Squirmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
The kitten I found at work last weekend went to its new home with one of my mom's coworkers today! A couple pictures to end the story of Batcat: