Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We just got a new kitten who was a stray and is about 3 months old. She weighs 4lbs and while she is very, very sweet she is also very, very skittish.

We have two larger cats (15-20lb cats) and a small dog (9-11lbs) and haven't had a kitten this size in a very long time. We're afraid that if we let her loose in the house, especially when we're not home, we'll lose her or she'll get hurt.

Does it seem inhumane to keep her in a large crate when we're not home? The crate is big - a larger one to keep maybe 4-5 ferrets in it. It's from our neighbor who does wildlife rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Lopside Fundip posted:

I don't think it's inhumane, it's a smart way to start introductions. People get really wigged out like "OMG CAT IN A CAGE" but honestly, as long as she isn't in there all day long, she's already way better off than the cats at the pound.

Kittens are curious, open the door when you are home to monitor interactions and she'll come out to explore at her own pace. It's better than traumatizing the poor little thing and gives her a place to feel safe while she gets used to the new noises and house traffic.

I don't like to give small kittens full run of the house anyway. They have incredibly bad ideas and no matter how much you kitten-proof, they will find a way to do the dumbest thing possible.

Yeah, I didn't like it was so inhumane, but I wasn't sure. Usually during the day we stuff her in our sweatshirts and let her look around a bit and get used to the huge environment :) If we let her out she panics and runs back under my bed or under some equally large object.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We have a new kitten who just recently (like, yesterday) started chirping at our other cat all the time. She just follows him around and chirps and meows at him. She doesn't even want to play, she just wants to chirp at him. If you pick her up she just chirps at you :confused:

The thing is that our cat that she's following isn't even anatomically male anymore. Not only was he neutered but he had his penis removed about 3 years ago to the day.

Is our kitten going into heat or is it something else?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Someone please help me help my childhood cat :(

She's about 15 or 16 years old now but has been in excellent condition her entire life. She was ill once when she was a baby but has been very healthy since.

Lately she has been drinking more water. I'm visiting the family so she's sleeping with me now and I do notice she gets up to drink at least twice at night. She lies in a warm room all day so we just figured that was why. We do have two other cats (one is probably about 3 or 4 and the other is around 11 or 12) but they don't come in my room at night and they haven't been drinking more water than usual, and they sleep in the same room.

This morning she peed on my bed. She has never done something like that before. It wasn't enough to stain anything, but it smelled like cat urine. This is really bizarre behavior as she's a very private cat and has always, since a baby, done her business very privately.

She has no other symptoms, and we'll probably take her to the vet eventually. She's been eating normally and sleeping normally. Do you think this is an emergency or possibly a one time thing?

I mean, she's old. I can understand that she can't hold her bladder all night anymore...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

skoolmunkee posted:

Those two things are symptom enough, take her to the vet now. Most likely she has developed a problem- diabetes, urine crystals/infection, kidney failure, or something less common. 15-16 is getting into old age for a cat and those things an be very common (and fatal if left to "eventually" or "see if they get any worse")

One of our cats had very severe problems with crystals (which lead to having his penis removed) and he didn't have the same symptoms at all.

My mom thought about diabetes, but I was under the impression that cats who get diabetes get very sick.

I'll talk to her about going today. There's an E-vet about 45 minutes away.

Edit: My mom wont take her to the e-vet because "They don't know her". Guess I have to :I

Edit2: My mom said she changed their food and that Nora (our cat) has been drinking a lot more in the past 2 weeks, so it's fairly recent. Would there have been straining or weird peeing sooner? She hasn't been straining either and this is the first time it's happened

Do you think we can take her tomorrow or is she going to drop dead?

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 30, 2011

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

skoolmunkee posted:

You're right, it's probably not crystals. It's most likely kidney failure since that can happen more slowly and the drinking a lot of water fits with that. It may not be worth seeing an e-vet today, but it would be worth seeing if your regular vet can fit you in tomorrow. (However, you won't know if they can until tomorrow, so...)

Sorry if I sounded a bit, but a year ago this weekend my friend overseas had been telling me about how the older family cat was acting funny and seemed like he was trying to use the litterbox a lot, and they were going to "wait and see" and "vets are expensive." I offered to pay if they took him before the memorial day weekend but they didn't. They finally took him in on Tuesday or Wednesday because he was clearly suffering, found out that his infection was going to involve very expensive treatment because they'd left it too long, and had him put down. A couple weeks later? New kitten! (I'm still very mad at them.)

She hasn't been acting weird or using the litterbox a lot, though. She's just been drinking more than usual and peed on my bed.

We'll probably go tomorrow. Thanks :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Welp, she started vomiting and peeing in other places and pooping, so we're going to the E-Vet. They said they have a two hour wait but it'll take us about an hour to get there.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

skoolmunkee posted:

Good luck Shnooks! :ohdear:

I guess I'll update for you guys. Is that ok?

So, we go in and they do blood work and it very clearly shows Chronic Renal Failure. The vet said her BUN was 7.5, and told us for reference normally it's 1.5. She's also slightly anaemic. The vet said that she's lost some muscle mass around her spine, too, and probably feels really crappy. Her urine was really dilute.

Right now she's staying overnight for antibiotics and fluids and we're going to talk to an internist tomorrow. She might get stable but she won't get better completely from CRF.

Very sad day. It's weird without her here. They really don't know enough right now to say, "Well, she has so-and-so amount of time to live." We'll see from tomorrow :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Anyone have recommendations on where to buy pet ID tags for cats online?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
All of them or just the collartag ones?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Nessa posted:

Hey, I've been having a heck of a time getting my kitty to eat.

Back in the summer, kitty got treated for a uti (which turned out to be ecoli). We had her on a couple different antibiotics, as well as special wet catfood from the vet.

She would eat the catfood fine for a few days and then start turning her nose up at it. We tried several different flavours and variants, putting ground up treats in each one, just to get her to try them. I finally got her to regularly eat one brand, but last week, she decided she didn't like it anymore.

I had a vet appointment scheduled for her anyway (as a check-up, to make sure the infection was gone) and picked up their dry food UR, since she had never had any problems eating her old dry food, Origen.

Well, it turns out that she doesn't care for this food either. I even tried sprinkling in some of her old food, but she's still barely touched the stuff.

She also had to get new antibiotics since the infection wasn't gone, and of course she ends up throwing up a bunch a couple hours after giving her the pill.

I just want my kitty to start eating again, because last time she stopped eating, she got a horrible fever, couldn't pee and had to spend the night in the emergency room. :(

Did you mention that she's suddenly picky to the doctor? I would even give them a call about it and leave a message for the doctor.

Meanwhile, have you tried warming up the wet food in the microwave or adding something like tuna juice or chicken broth maybe? Another thing is something antibiotics can upset their stomachs.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Tis the season for chocolate ingestion! Yes, take your dog to the vet. 70% is pretty high.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there anything like that for regular vets? My mom finally decided to dump the old homeopathic vet (FINALLY) but I have no clue who's decent in the area she lives in. I asked my friends for recommendations because another poster earlier asked for vets in Central Jersey, but they were no help :(

So yeah, vets on the Jersey Shore - recommendations?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone here have any articles or journals that go over why your dog does not have a grain allergy?

I see a ton of people come into work day-to-day saying their dog's can't have grain for such-and-such stupid reason, or new puppy owners opting out of puppy food because it has grain in it, and I'd like to be more informed on it than just saying, "They're more likely to have an allergy to a protein!"

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there onions in the ingredients? Those are pretty terrible, too.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

InternetJunky posted:

I just noticed that my cat is urinating a bit while lying down. I saw a few drops drip out over the course of a few minutes, and when I went and checked her other favourite hang out places they all were wet with cat pee. Is this a sign of a urinary infection? My cat is quite old (17 years) so I hope it's not just a by-product of old age. Do I need to treat it immediately?

My 17-18 year old cat is having the same issue. I just posted about it in the cat thread, so maybe some answers will pop up there?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

InternetJunky posted:

Wow, reading what you wrote is pretty eerie since it pretty much describes my cat as well. I found a vet that's open on Sundays so in a few hours I'll get some results back at least.

Cool, keep us updated!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

InternetJunky posted:

Everything was normal except for the absolute (literal) poo poo pile of poop in her. :( The vet showed me an x-ray that showed about 50% cat, 50% poop. Apparently she was so blocked up that it's pressing on her bladder and forcing pee out. I feel miserable that I completely missed any signs she was having this kind of problem (she didn't really exhibit any behaviour changes or anything).

So while I'm typing this she's having a cat enema, and has some more scheduled for tomorrow. The good news is all the other tests showed she's very healthy for a 17 year old.

Great :D! So far we haven't heard anything and I'm very worried. Where I work we went through 2 months where every day was constipated cat day. Fortunately it's a fixable problem.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Manually deobstipating a cat is a terrible, horrible process, and I hope you never have to do that and the worst you have to do is shove enemas up a cat's butt.

We did manually deobstipate one cat. We have a doctor who doesn't mind doing them D:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Pistol has an appointment tomorrow to get his gross tongue thing looked at. Assuming they freeze or cut it off, would it be a good idea to stock up on wet dog food for him until it heals or can he just suck it up and eat dry food?

He probably wont be able to eat dry food, but what you can do is soften his dry food with water or broth while he's healing. Just add some water and let it sit till it absorbs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Braki posted:

This hasn't been my experience. My pet insurance (Trupanion) has always said ok to everything I've claimed, and even gave me money when they didn't have to. They also don't exclude things by year, so my cat's asthma medications which cost about $90 every 1.5-2 months is 90% covered for his entire life. Insurance is going to be worth it for him.

Also dog bills can get very expensive, very fast. Horses are expensive, yes, but any animal that has to stay in ICU or need advanced diagnostics will quickly increase the bill.

I hear very good things about Trupanion, so I'm not surprised. On the other hand, I hear VPI is hit or miss about what they cover.