Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

HondaCivet posted:

I looked around, there are a few pairs here and there on Craigslist. Not sure how'd you find them on Petfinder, would they be in a single listing? Calling the shelters is a good idea, thanks for that.

I was looking on Craigslist, there are a few pairs but a lot of people ask for a "rehoming fee" . . . I can see asking for some money in order to deter pet hoarders or whatever but on the other hand I hope people aren't just selling their cats. Is this normal? If so, what is a reasonable fee? If I'm going to be paying a fee I'd rather have it go to a shelter than some jerk dumping their cats but I'll deal if it's just part of the market.

Maybe offer to pay the total cost of the litter box, extra litter, and bag of food if they give those up with the cats? That way no one profits and still deters wackos looking for cats.

e: note to self, refresh page before replying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
You can find puppies in shelters, but they go faster so you'd probably have better luck with a schnauzer rescue. It may be difficult anyway, but if you get frustrated because you can't find any and still really really want a puppy you could start looking at breeders. A great starting point is the national breed club, and they have local clubs listed there too. PI is always happy to review any breeder you could throw at us. :)

Schnauzers are barkers by nature, if there is a squirrel in your yard you will not hear the end of it. They are pretty gogogo! too, being terriers... If you want mellow I wouldn't suggest a puppy of any breed though :P

My family has had tons of schnauzers over the years, they're pretty fun and tend to have hilarious personalities :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My Silent Spinner wheel seems to have gotten kind of stiff over the last week or two; sometimes my mouse can turn it and sometimes she can't. So I put her old wire wheel (I know :() in for now so she doesn't go bonkers without any exercise..

Anyway, does anyone know how these wheels are put together? Wondering if anyone's had a similar problem that was maybe able to "pop" it back into place somehow. I'm just reluctant to buy another, they're about $15 and this one's only lasted me ~3 or 4 months.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 26, 2009

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

tse1618 posted:

I think it really depends on the Purina One formula.
Here's the ingredients for their Chicken and Rice dry cat food formula:
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), whole grain corn, fish meal, soy protein isolate, animal liver flavor, etc, etc

And their Salmon and Tuna dry cat food formula:
Poultry by-product meal, whole grain corn, brewers rice, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon, tuna, animal liver flavor, etc, etc

I wouldn't consider their Salmon and Tuna formula acceptable at all, and some of the Iams cat formulas are better than that. I think it's always a lot better to understand the types of ingredients to look for and avoid in a food than just give a blanket statement about if a brand is acceptable or premium or not.

I'm not sure if you're implying that the first food is any good, but in case you are:
1) Having a lone meat name at the front followed by the grains is misleading, as once everything is dehydrated to make into a dry food that meat can actually end up as much as 7 places lower on the ingredients list by weight. "[specified meat] meal" is already dehydrated and therefor is a good thing to see before grain content.
2) The words "by-product" "poultry" and "animal" at all (wow, and they have all 3!)
3) Anything after the "fat" ingredient is pretty minuscule and not really worth taking into consideration.

...at least from what I've found from my own research in dog foods.

I'm not a stickler like many for "ALL CORN WHEAT AND SOY = 100% BAD FOR ALL DOGS/CATS EVER" but those were some of my first thoughts when reading that ingredient list. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

tse1618 posted:

EDIT: If you don't have a problem with some corn wheat and soy, why do you have a problem with some by-products? They at least would naturally be found in a cat's diet.
(From Pet Food thread) "By-products can contain high traces of chemicals used in euthanasia (such as phenobarbital), as well as meat rendered but still tainted with poisons and deadly bacteria. In the wild, most animals would never encounter these things, and would probably die if they did."
I'm not worried about something that'll fatten up the animal a bit, because hey, not everything I eat is bursting at the seams with nutrients either, but I draw the line at something that could contain dangerous chemicals.

A question of my own: I don't live with my dad, but I just found out that they have a flea infestation among their 2 large cats, 1 tiny cat (like the size of a 4 month old kitten), and large dog. They accidentally put the large dog flea treatment on the tiny cat! They came home and she was having seizures, and rushed her to the emergency vet and everything, had to stay overnight, get an IV, all kinds of stuff. Since I don't live there and only got a brief run down over the phone, my mind is racing with nonsense "Yeah, but!! But!! BUT OMG KITTY!!"
Can anyone tell me more about what exactly happened, her chances of being okay, is she out of the woods yet if they sent her home, etc etc etc? Out of all the cats I've ever had she's my least favorite (not a people-cat) but I'm so worried right now! She's the reason I'm a goon! ("halp halp cat is preggers" -> "yay kitten!")

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My dad's dog back home tore some ligaments in his er, wrist?, and needs to keep "inactive" for the next 6 weeks. But he is also a ~10 month old golden retriever puppy aka fireball of energy locked up in his kennel and only let out on leash for potty breaks.

Any ideas to keep him from EXPLODING with energy? He must be so frustrated and my dad tells me he can tell he's feeling better and wants nothing more than to play. :( I feel bad. What can we do for him? Anything?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is it worth it to bring my cat with me to a home I will only be living in for 4-5 months? I'm going to be in college for a semester longer than expected so I'm moving home for the summer, and back to my college town for a short-term lease.

The reason I want her to come live with me is that she and my mom's cat (siblings) are 10 years old and a while back the boy couldn't stand the sight of his sister (Callie) and was hissing up fits cornering her under furniture and going berserk if she ever came out, so we had to separate them. Cat anxiety meds did nothing, slowly reintroducing them (through door, babygate etc process) did nothing, it was bizarre. Mom's house is huge, and while Callie has enough room to live comfortably, my mom spends most of her time in the part of the house with the boy cat. I want my girl to have a lot more people-contact and that's why I want to bring her with me.

Some more considerations:
-It's a 3.5 hour drive, she's only been in cars for vet trips about a quarter mile away. She has also never moved to a new home before.
-The home I'm looking at has a roommate with another cat already. I'm not super worried about it, because Callie was never the problem with her brother - she was just a pushover. She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body, and as I understand it the other cat is cat-friendly as well.
-She's declawed (not my choice) and has never had a litter issue in her life, so I strongly doubt any damages that would take away my deposit.

I just want to give her the daily snuggles she deserves, but as little stress as possible. :(

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
they are cat eggs. congratulations!

(pee)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Background: I noticed my dog's vulva (is that the right word?) being rather inflamed and really dark colored a couple weeks ago when she was rolling around on the ground / scratching her back on the carpet(?). It really alarmed me so my mom agreed to take her to the vet and she was given some antibiotics and a powder to put on her crotch after a warm compress twice a day.

My mom is, put simply, one of the worst/laziest pet owners I know who actually loves her pets. She used the powder maybe 3 times at all, never on the same day, but she did give the antibiotics correctly. She stopped the powder because "it looks better now" and she isn't waddling. Which is great! Except you can't ask a dog how she's feeling, so who knows if it's actually better yet.

I don't have a lot of influence in the matter because I'm in and out of town a LOT, and I'm only living in the general area for the summer between semesters, or else I'd be the one doing the compresses.

ANYWAY, my question is about her peeing overnight. She was doing it occasionally before the vet trip, so I assume those were due to whatever the irritation was. Though she's still doing it a little bit. Could this be remnants from the infection, or her age (she's 14)? She has also peed when it was storming, but that's not too unusual. I don't mind cleaning up messes, I'm more worried about how to tell if it's something serious. How long should I wait before a followup with the vet is a good idea?

If it's an age thing though, has anyone had luck with just overnight puppypads? I saw it on "It's Me or the Dog" and I trust her methods. I mean, she's understood housetraining for 14 years but having "indoor plumbing" for long nights might be okay? :)

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 9, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Power of Pecota posted:

lost dog

You could also buy an ad on Facebook that only shows to people in your city. I saw one while ago and thought it was a great idea. Not sure how much they cost though, I think you can purchase it either by number of views or number of clicks.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

If you mean Petland, please do not shop there. They have a huge animal cruelty record.

Also Nthing the don't buy a pet as a gift/if you're worried about money. My advice would be to get her a toy turtle, and then if she's the big-hearted type, see if a nearby zoo or rescue (are there turtle rescues? I would imagine so) has a sponsorship program and sponsor a turtle for her. Where I come from, you can do that for around $25, and that way it can be "her turtle", which you can maybe take her to visit, but someone else can actually care for it.
Some museums with childrens live animal exhibits do this too :) My local one even puts a little plaque on the cage with your name. 2nding don't buy anything from Petland, they are the worst and need absolutely no more money.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Why does my cat play in her water bowl? I've lived in this house for a total of 3 days and she's already made big water drip-lines in the paint on the wall behind her bowl. She's always done what we call "washing her hands" but now she's taking full scoops of water and just loving flinging it everywhere.

WHY.

HOW DO I STOP IT.

loving CATS.

Also, it's noisy at night. I threw a penny at her.

e: Oh this was addressed like 3 posts up. Oops sorry, thread is a little TL;DR now :/

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 11, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
At what point in not eating will a cat face health problems? (liver failure or something?)

I moved houses with my cat (first time ever) and she's understandably stressed but she's only eating a tiny amount. She's always been free fed until I moved, and I put in her recommended breakfast (1/3 cup), but she only touched it for a couple bites. She didn't finish that so I didn't give her any dinner (another 1/3 cup). Rinse and repeat the past few days, she's only taking a few bites a day. Last night and this morning she threw up (bits of food in it so I know she ate while I wasn't looking, though still not even half of what she needs in a day). So I gave her some chicken to have something in her stomach.

At what point of not eating is it vet time? I assume eating at least a little bit is loads better than eating nothing? And if I took her to the vet what would they do, tube-feed?

I know one recommendation is to put water in her food and microwave it, but we didn't realize our house didn't have a microwave built in so it'll be another week or two until we get one to try that. I have no idea how I'd do it on the stove.

e: She is drinking fine so that's a good sign. She has also pooped and peed!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Crooked Booty posted:

It varies a lot, but cats can get hepatic lipidosis eating anything less than ~50% of their daily required calories for a period of 2+ days (depending on the calories, the fatness of the cat, and who knows what else). What are you feeding her? 2/3 cup is a lot if it's a high calorie food, and 1/3 cup per day may be enough. I would offer her some canned food or something else stinky and see if she eats.

If she refuses some stinky Fancy Feast, I would be worried that it's more than just the stress of moving, but in any case I would take her to the vet. They might syringe feed her. They may also want to run labwork to see how her liver is doing, and to see if something else is going on to make her not want to eat. They can also prescribe pills to stimulate her appetite which work really, really well in a lot of cases if it's just something like stress -- a much cheaper solution than dealing with hepatic lipidosis.

I'm almost certain she's eating this:
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/products/cats/dry_food/senior_cat_hairball_formula/
(I threw out the bag when I poured it into a big food tupperware thing, but I know it's Chicken Soup of some kind)
Which recommends 2/3, but if 1/3 is enough that makes me feel a lot better about the portions she has actually eaten. I'll see what kind of nasty canned food I can find at the grocery store tomorrow. Think I should mix in some of her kibble just so she's getting, you know, nutrition? Hah.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 13, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Crooked Booty posted:

That stuff is pretty low calorie. If she's around ten pounds, she should be eating around 200 calories per day, so 1/2-2/3 cups. Their feeding guidelines actually look pretty accurate in terms of calories. I wouldn't bother mixing in her kibble -- even crappy canned food is nutritionally complete, and it's way more important that she eats something than that she eats something high quality. If she doesn't eat much tomorrow, I'd take her to the vet.

She ate a third of the can of Fancy Feast in one sitting and got bored, so I'll try again in a couple hours. I also have some of her kibble soaking in the broth in the fridge, I'll heat that up tomorrow and see if I can transition her back to boring kibble.

Side note: I knew that grocery store food was poo poo by PI standards, but I've never been a stickler for no corn/wheat/soy in ingredients so I figured I'd find something at the grocery store, but I didn't realize that EVERYTHING has "meat by-products" in it except two that I could find. In case anyone's curious they were Fancy Feast "Fish & Shrimp Feast (Flaked)" and Meow Mix "Market Select with Chicken breast in gravy" (but with added sugar? really?)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I think I have figured out the reason (or at least noticed a peculiarity) why my cat wasn't eating much this past week. I moved houses, so I thought it was stress, but I also started schedule-feeding her. Today instead of giving her a breakfast of 1/3cup, I gave her the whole day's worth of 2/3 cup. She ate over half of it in about 2 hours. YAY WE'RE CURED! but what the hell? Has anyone heard of something similar: a cat who only eats if she thinks there will be leftovers? Is this the cat equivalent of storing cans and water bottles in a bunker for Y2K?

Cats :psyduck:

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 18, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My vet gave my cat a prescription of Acepromazine when we moved and had to face a 4 hour road trip. I got 4 doses for about 15 bucks (but you only need 1 dose per car trip though), and it worked pretty well. You don't want to actually knock out your cat, just have her zonked out of her freakin mind. I put mine in a ball of tuna, but make sure she didn't watch you prepare it and make sure she eats the whole thing.

We gave it 2 hours before we expected to leave, and left her and her open carrier in the bathroom. When we were ready to leave we loaded her up and the most she did the whole way was a pitiful "mew" or 5 every now and then. Also their third eyelid comes up a bit so don't freak out if you get this med and see that. She was also wobbly on her legs for the rest of the day.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I think I want to get a Feliway diffuser, but what's the difference between these two things, other than price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FH708I/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WHUOEI/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

At first I thought one may be a knockoff brand but they both say Feliway!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

GoreJess posted:

The second one has French writing on the box & it does look like they're 2 different brands. The first one is the packaging that I'm used to seeing in the store.

Hah, how did I miss the French? But that one has the same logo as the feliway.com website, so I'm wondering if it is actually the original. I also just noticed that the second one has a refill while the first does not. I think I'd pay $3 for an extra? But it also has less reviews than the other, and averaging a little lower, making me think it's the knockoff. Gahhh.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Cat introductions help please!

The two cats have lived in the same house for a month now, but they still won't go near each other except to sit in their respective bedroom doorways and hiss at each other across the hall.

Feliway hasn't shown to help at all (I'm pissed, I'm DIRT poor and would have liked that $20 back).

Apparently one time they chased each other across the house back and forth, I guess kind of deciding who's boss. No development since then. Body postures seem to indicate the older one is boss, but she doesn't leave my room much still.

Mostly I'm just looking for a ballpark time-range that these things take. Also if I should "force" it along a little, close them both out of their bedrooms and make them hang with us while we chill in the living room or something.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

nitrogen posted:

We used to have a thread in hre ages ago about it.

Best thing to do is lock the new cat in its own room for 7-12 days, with feliway, litter, etc. Let the other cats sniff it under the door for around that time.

This is how I introduced all my cats to each other, and it worked great.

Now, you might just have a persnickety cat.
I already did that.

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's actually at the beginning of the cat/kitten megathread.
It sure is.

"Kitten Megathread posted:

If it drags beyond a week please ask and see if we can make some suggestions to make things go more smoothly.

drat Bananas posted:

The two cats have lived in the same house for a month now

I didn't ask in that particular thread because neither cat is new, both my roommate and myself already had a cat and we moved into a house together.

I was just hoping for some sort of a timeframe and ideas to make it progress further. Ex: Should I lock them out of their respective bedrooms in neutral territory for a while or not?

Edit: there has been no physical contact between them of any kind (swatting, fighting), only noises and puffing up.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Nah, just let things stay how they are provided they're both eating okay and everything. They may eventually reach a sort of hostile truce where they can be in the same room without posturing, but only opposite sides or something. It doesn't always work out :( Good on you for trying though, and try to keep being patient... It has only been a month, which is seconds in terms of cat feuds, unfortunately. Like, I'd expect them to settle into this in maybe 3 months or so?

Now, if you're really inclined, you could try to "force" it by making them associate one another with otherwise positive things. Like give them treats while they're in the same room (they probably won't eat them though if they're this pissy), or simply do the feeding them on either side of a closed door thing. Try to stay calm and not act upset when they pull this poo poo. Sometimes when cats are being all stupid and bitchy it is fun to go up to one or the other and start petting him/her :D This might result in your getting scratched, but if not, it's kind of hilarious to watch them react. "Whoosa pretty baby kitty?! You are! You are my snookums!" "I'M loving BUSY LOOKING TOUGH WILL YOU STOP IT"

Thanks! They've both eaten treats (stinky wet food) in the same room and were pretty happy with that. During the first week they had a hissing fit and I touched my cat, who then hissed at *me*. Now when I touch her when she's in a staredown she promptly turns her back to the other cat in order to get more scritches from me. So at least I don't think they feel threatened by each other, it's probably mostly whiny "YOU WHIPPERSNAPPER"/"OH WHATEVER GRANDMA" bitching. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What are some good links that talk about why dominance training and Cesar Millan are bad, and positive reinforcement/clicker training is good?
Additionally what are some good resources in dealing with a dog aggressive border collie puppy?

A Facebook friend had a status about starting dominance training and needing to be a pack leader, so I offered some info about positive reinforcement. Then she commented about him being aggressive to other dogs in her house, and one of her friends (Cesar Millan's #1 fan) told my friend not to listen to me and dominate and be a good pack leader hurrrr. Sigh.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Are puppy pads acceptable for elderly dogs who just can't hold it as long anymore? My dog back home is 14 and my mom says she's not been as reliable as she once was at not peeing inside while mom's at work or overnight.

She's been to the vet, he says it's not a medical thing, just an old dog thing.

We also can't hire a dog walker or neighbor to let her out because in her old age she has gotten quite grumpy with new people in "her" house and has even snapped at them. She's the absolute sweetest thing at the vet or on walks, though, go figure. :(

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

fine-tune posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for dry skin on a cat? Is there something we could add to her food (feeding EVO dry and Wellness wet)? It's not bothering her (no extra itching, vet says it isn't anything to be concerned about) but I'm tired of my otherwise shiny black cat having crazy, dandruffy looking stuff all over her. Brushing doesn't seem to change it much and while it has gotten worse in the winter (dry air, etc), it was like this when we got her in late summer.

When one of my cats was young we brought up the dandruff issue to our vet and he sold us a bottle of fish oil or something (it was yellow, greasy, and came in a pump, like soap) that we put on his dry food. I doubt that's a vet-only product but if you asked he may know what it is/where to get some.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm surprised the pet nutrition thread is closed, I guess I haven't checked in PI in a while, soooo I hope it's okay if I ask for a reccomendation in here?

My dad is a champion at listening to what I say about what I've learned about pets, and doing the exact opposite. He has a ~2 year old poorly bred golden retriever with absolutely atrocious skin allergies that require daily strong doses of Benadryl, and is also probably an 8, pushing 9, on that dog fatness scale. Out of the blue yesterday he messages me asking if I would do a little research on diet dog foods, admitting that poor Samson is indeed massive and in dire need of an intervention. Also he has terrible manners and knocks people over with his lard when greeting them. In the morning he is fed a big unmeasured bowl of kibble and is not allowed inside until he eats it all. (!) Same at night, I believe.

His exercise consists of a large privacy-fenced backyard with free access to the pool (I know this is dangerous but I'm just trying to tackle one issue at a time). Very little walking, and no dog parks in the area. He LOVES the pool, and decided to go swimming a few days ago for the first time in a couple months. Hopefully as it warms up he will go swimming every day like he did last spring/summer/fall. A good low/no-impact exercise that requires little to no human participation, hooray!

We are looking for something in the similar price range of Canidae All Life Stages (his current food) but in a weight-management formula. Preferrably something found commonly in stores, but the zip code is 75070 if you wanna plug it into a website's locations thing.

So, I guess my points to give to my dad are
1. Stress that exercise is important so more walking, swimming, and fetch.
2. Stress portion size (anyone got a good calorie calculator for dog height/weight/food or similar?)
3. Recommend a brand (need help here)

Thanks, and I'm sorry this turned into such a long post.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2011

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

a life less posted:

The Nutrition thread is closed while the new one gets written. Bam got tired of the back and forth sperging over the value of corn in foods. Hopefully the new one will be up soon.

Here's a decent dog food calculator for you: http://www.goldendoodles.com/care/food_calculator.htm

As you might already be aware, the dog's skin allergies may very well be a reaction to the food he eats. Some dogs have sensitivities to wheat, chicken, etc.
Thanks for the link (goldendoodles.com though, really? hah) I believe the vet diagnosed the allergies to be of the seasonal-outdoorsy variety though. poo poo-ton of landscaping plants in their backyard alone, let alone neighborhood. Also he doesn't chew on his feet, which I've seen almost exclusively with food-allergies. Absolutely no idea if this observation is backed by science or coincadink though, so eh. :)

Edit: Is there a good way to weigh a dog without that lovely vet office-visit fee? I mean, holding him and weighing yourself with a bathroom scale would probably work for dogs up to about corgi-sized but uh. Giant golden. Yikes.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 27, 2011

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My boyfriend and I will be getting an apartment soon and I know he's been itching to get a dog for years. I'm trying to come up with some breeds to look at but I'm rusty. We'll be getting a shelter mix most likely so breed standards won't be set in stone but it'd be a nice starting place. We want:

-~30-40lbs due to size restrictions and we don't like tiny dogs
-No restricted breeds because I don't want to fight that headache
-Not noisy, due to having neighbors (no scenthounds or watchdog breeds)
-Able to go off leash in the park next to the complex (no sighthounds)
-Not terribly intelligent/energetic since it's a small unit (no herding)
-We prefer shedding over combs and haircuts, but it's not a huge deal.

I guess that leaves toys, but I'm having trouble coming up with some bigger toy breeds. Maybe something like a dachshund/lab mix :laffo:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

a life less posted:

Maybe something along the lines of a Cavalier? It depends on your preferences, but I've only ever had positive experiences with the breed. They're very mellow, but a trainer at my school has two and does Comp OB, Rally, etc with them. Maybe some other spanielly type of dog.

Also, FYI, Dachshunds are barky, and Labs are OMGENERGY.

Edit: I also have a HUGE hard on for Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. They come in two varieties: decent couch potatoes, and OMG ENERGY. The best agility/OB dog I know is a super drivey Toller -- you'll probably want to avoid the latter variety. But they're really awesome, and I would love to have one some day.

Can't believe I forgot about spaniels! I don't have any first hand experience with them but that's what I'll be researching for the next couple hours I guess. And I dunno how common NSDTRs are to pop up in local shelters? Ha.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Try to brush her outside if at all possible. Brushing sends all the crud floating in the air, you really don't want that to stay in your home.
I like this article: http://www.petfinder.com/your-pet-and-you/cat-allergies.html

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
In humans isn't pinkeye from getting poop-bacteria in your eye or something? If that's the case she could have stepped in poop and maybe scratched her face soon after. Though with how much dogs are in and around poop you'd think it'd be super common. I don't know though, just thinking out loud.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Has anyone tried having a sort of planter-box of grass on a patio/balcony for letting a dog out on? The dog we will be adopting was houstrained years ago so I'm not too worried about "confusing" her, but we've got a nice spacious 4.5ft-fenced-in patio and we've gotten enough hailstorms this spring to worry me about taking her out in bad weather. It's not in place of normal walks and sniffing around, but in case of weather, woke-up-way-too-late mornings, or if we're all just chilling on the balcony on nice days.

I was considering a DIY box of real grass, but if there are reasons one of the artificial doohickeys would work better I'd consider it.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
How often do you guys bathe your dogs? Or just whenever they roll in something gross?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

WolfensteinBag posted:

What breed's your dog? It makes a difference. :)

Beagle, but it was just a general question out of curiosity. Back home I have a corgi/shepherd that my mom just drops off at the vet about every 6 months (or as often as every ~2 in summer) when she's blowing coat for a bath, good brushing, and nail trim. I also have an acquaintance with a lab/border collie mix that he bathes at LEAST once a week, drying the hell out of her skin and then assumes the itching MUST be fleas (that he's never seen) instead of the constant baths or lovely grainy food. But for science :science: how often should one bathe a beagle?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Docking the ears of a cocker spaniel just strikes me as the saddest thing. I love their ears :smith:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Post-tick question. We pulled a tick out from behind our dog's ear probably a week ago, but aren't sure if the head got left inside. Now we're thinking it did, because he has a sort of tiny bulge at the tick spot with a little black dot in the center, kind of like a pimple/blackhead kind of thing. I assume his body is just doing what bodies do when there is a splinter/other shallow foreign object and slowly pushing it out by itself. My plan is to wait for it to run its course, keeping an eye on it to make sure there are no signs of infection (redness, super sensitivity, warm to the touch, pus/discharge, am I missing any?), then otherwise calling the vet.

Good plan of action? I've never dealt with ticks before.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Let's talk dog breath. Roger had a wellness exam today, and I wanted to know if they could see any problematic teeth because his breath is just plain rank. The vet said that his teeth and gums look good, and he wouldn't necessarily recommend a cleaning since Roger is so young and has no forming problems. He has tartar which probably causes the smell, but no real health risks for now. If I wanted to, they were running a special on teeth cleaning through October: 40% off, making it $200 before extractions etc (!). So that's sitting on my "probably not now" pile.

He also told me there are some disinfecting dog breath mints that kill the bacteria in the tartar but are safe to chew, and last a couple days at a time. I'm stupid and forgot to ask what they were called, anybody know something like this? The "Puppermints" in the Petsmart checkout line were a joke.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Kiri koli posted:

Have you tried Greenies? They aren't breath mints, but they are gummy and are supposed to clean teeth while the dog chews them. I give my dog one once a day as a crate treat and her breath seems better for it.

I have some, but how quickly he eats them worries me. If the pieces swallowed are too big, Greenies can cause intestinal blockages. I haven't given him any in a couple weeks.

Re: Raw bones: Along with Greenies, my vet said that tartar is so rock-hard it's not something you can brush/chew off. I think the bones might work a little bit better than Greenies (if at all), but it won't get rid of much of the bacteria living in the grooves of the tartar. I was more interested in something that kills bacteria in the mouth. I might just have to call back up there and ask what he was talking about.

vvvv I'm not sure, but he's a really squirmy guy so I wouldn't be comfortable trying that for fear of hurting him!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 2, 2011

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
^^^ :3:!!

Cassiope posted:

Found a stray dog on the side of the highway today. Seems like he was dumped by negligent owners but he is still the sweetest, gentlest, most loving animal.
My question is: my dog is all up to date on vaccinations, flea meds, tick preventative, all that jazz. Is there a likelihood that she could catch something from him if they interact?

Obviously keeping them separated for now, just curious.

I believe bordetella/kennel cough can still be spread to dogs with the vaccine (due to the difficulty of vaccinating against different strains I think?), so there is some risk, especially if you don't know the strange dog's vaccination history. Another thing is that bordetella vaccines are typically given yearly, but dogs who interact with strange dogs (boarding, dog parks) are recommended to get it every 6 months to be safe(r). When did your dog have her last bordetella?

I'm not sure if I'd let them interact. Just repeating the things I've learned while trying to get my dog prepared to go to doggie day camp this past weekend. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does dog pee glow under a black light, or is that just cat pee? I smell it faintly in the living room but can't figure out where exactly it's coming from.

e: if no, other ideas on finding it appreciated. (other than getting on all 4s and taking big whiffs at nose-level with the carpet)

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 6, 2011