Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

fat kitty feeding issues

A fat cat will continue to get fat on anything that is left out.
My mom has the exact problem that you do: a tiny little picky eater, a normal-sized, active cat, and a fatass. She worked out a system where she feeds them all twice a day, in separate rooms. Willy (the fatty) just gets a tiny amount of food, which balances out the food/trash/dog kibble he inevitably manages to steal. He's lost weight, and is just chunky now, not obese like he was. And he doesn't get winded after 20 seconds of playing anymore!

Tisha (the little one) had trouble adapting at first and needed extra treats, but now she can polish off her plate of food pretty quickly, as long as she's in a room by herself so that she can't be chased away from it. Just try giving your little cat some extra-rich food if she doesn't seem to be eating enough. The last thing you want is her filling up on weight loss formula.

I have a question of my own: Is there any reason why a healthy 1 1/2 year old, neutered male dog should suddenly be regressing on his potty training? We got him at about 4 months old and had no trouble training him. He hasn't had a slip up since, until the past 6 weeks or so. Now all of the sudden he's spraying on furniture, pooping on the floor, and generally being ornery. His appetite and energy level haven't changed, and his poop looks normal. He looked right at me and lifted his leg on a bag of groceries last night.

The following things have been different lately:
-It has been really cold. Too cold for him to spend much time outside.
-We've been spending a lot of time at my parent's with him. Their pets have been known to poop/pee in the house.
-I'm pregnant. (can dogs sense that?)

So what do I do about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

DJExile posted:

So far (knock on wood) Winston has been in great health in his 9 months of life, and is really starting to show just how big Maine Coons can get. He's already about 21" from the top of his head to his butt.

What I'm wondering is when would be a good time to get him checked up. Should this be a yearly thing? Twice a year? Only if something seems wrong? He's eating and drinking just fine, his coat is great, and hasn't seen a vet since he had his neuter/deworm/declaw (landlord's rules :sigh: ) about 5 1/2 months ago. I know eventually MCs are prone to joint problems as they age (especially their hips if memory serves), but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

As long as he's done with his shots, there is no reason to take him in for another 6 months or so. He needs a yearly exam, and to be taken in anytime something is wrong with him. Making sure he is on a good food, getting plenty of activity and maintaining a healthy weight for his frame is all that really needs to be done in terms of preventative care at this point.
Enjoy your healthy kitty.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Should I be upset at my friend who wants to try and breed his chinchilla?

Well it isn't great, but it could be a whole hell of a lot worse. They have at least have homes lined up for the babies and did a little research. I doubt you're going to talk him out of it, so maybe just encourage them to talk to a good exotics vet, and hope that this guy's boss is more responsible than he is. It doesn't sound like they're having much luck anyway, so you may be worrying for nothing ;)

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Question: Are laser pointers a safe toy for cats as long as the laser in not pointed in her eyes?

Perfectly safe. Just watch out that you don't shine it on a reflective surface.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I interviewed at a vet clinic specializing in dental work. They promoted dry food to help with maintaining tooth health. Other vets have told me dry food doesn't do poo poo as far as keeping teeth clean. This leads me to firmly believe that they just don't know. I do question the concept that cats are chronically dehydrated when fed solely dry food. My cats are all on dry food and most have had bloodwork at least before their desexing, and none showed signs of dehydration like an elevated PCV or similar, and none show skin tenting that would point to dehydration. Is there something I'm missing?

I think it just depends on the cat. My family always dry-fed exclusively, maybe a can of wet now and then for a treat. That worked great for several cats, but they now have one who will get severely dehydrated if he isn't given wet food. I guess he just doesn't like water.