Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Tan
Aug 2, 2007

tan

VikingKitten posted:

My kitten Curtis likes to lick my lips. This is weird, but not especially bothersome. Is that a weird habit unique to him, or do other people have cats that lick human lips?

Oh man -- I just adopted a cat who appears to have this habit (she likes to wake me up that way). I'm a pretty new cat owner, so it still freaks me the the heck out. She's VERY pushy, and won't take no for an answer!

I have a question, as well, although I'm afraid it was already answered in some other thread and I just failed to find it. Aforementioned new cat has thrown up several times since I adopted her a month or so ago, just regular cat food barf. She was found starving on somebody's porch, clearly recently abandoned (she was spayed already, so there's no question of this), and so I figured the problem to be overeating (the food looked pretty much undigested the first time she threw up), and have been trying to regulate her food intake.

The problem seemed to disappear when I tried that, but she did it again the other day; should I be worried? Somebody told me she might just be "a barfy cat." She otherwise seems completely healthy, other than the *very* occasional sneeze, and sometimes sounding like she's snoring when she's asleep. I know the shelter had her completely checked out before I adopted her; she was so skinny, they were stunned she wasn't sick. (She's pleasantly plump now, and a total diva.)

So, since I'm still new to cats, I can't tell whether I'm being paranoid or missing important signs. I know the lady I adopted her from, who's very experienced, tells me not to worry. But any advice would be appreciated -- even just on how to deal with a "barfy cat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Tan
Aug 2, 2007

tan

maplecheese posted:

Sorry nobody replied to you earlier...

What kind of food are you feeding her? Some foods are easier on the stomach than others. My friend's cat was super-barfy on grocery store wet food, less barfy on Innova EVO, and is hardly barfy at all anymore on a mix of low-calorie Innova and Royal Canin Special 33. (their food for barfy cats)

No problem, thanks!

The person who originally rescued her had her on some crappy "junk food," maybe because she really needed some fattening up ... but when I adopted her the current foster home was trying to work her over to Verus dry food, which is what I was feeding my first cat, so after the first day or so I switched her straight over to that. It's supposed to be high-quality stuff (I think), and she's been eating it for about a month now, but maybe she's still adjusting to the new food?

Thanks for the response. I could check with the owner of my little pet store, and see if she can recommend another kind of food for her. My other cat seems pretty flexible, so I could probably switch them both over to something new if I needed to.

Mr Tan
Aug 2, 2007

tan

maplecheese posted:

Verus looks very good to me, so she shouldn't be barfing due to the quality of the food... do you know if she was a barfer on the junk food?

Your local hippie pet food store owner could probably help you find a sensitive-stomach food that's good for you, so I'd say ask! The only one I have experience with is Royal Canin Special 33, and while it unfortunately has corn and wheat in it, (not high on the list, but not super low either) it really did seem to help a lot. The friend with the barf machine cat originally got a coupon for it from a friend of HIS, who's a Royal Canin rep... She'd obviously be only repeating the stuff that makes them look good, but she said that she'd heard a lot of "miracle" stories with that food. V:)V

There's also the possibility that she has a food allergy, in which case Royal Canin probably wouldn't help, and you'd need to go with food that has substantially different ingredients. (Both Verus and Royal Canin are chicken-based, so you'd probably have to go with beef or duck or lamb or something.)

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to investigate as soon as I get the chance... (out of town for the holidays at the moment)

Mr Tan
Aug 2, 2007

tan
One of my cats has recently developed one weepy eye. I only notice a little tear every couple days, so it doesn't seem like a regular discharge, and it's always clear. The first time I figured she just had a bit of dust in there, but since it's come back twice since then, I started to wonder. She's not sneezing or coughing, and she's still eating and behaving normally.

I'm reluctant to bring her to the vet over it, because she absolutely HATES being put in a cat carrier. I still have a scar from the last time I loaded her in one, which was in July. If this is something that doesn't need a vet visit, I'd love to spare her (and me!) the trauma.

Can anybody tell me if this sounds familiar?

Mr Tan
Aug 2, 2007

tan

ChairmanMeow posted:

It might be kitty allergies or kitty eye herpes. That's normally how I know my cat is about to get a break out of pink eye and that I need to get her in for the eye cream. It starts out as a clear but thick tear, if it goes untreated her eye looks a little squinty then becomes red then if it still goes untreated the discharge goes from clear to yellow to green and the squintiness increases. so now as soon as I see a tear I just take her in. I suspect she has the eye herpes but I've never had the test done, she seems to get the pink eye when she is really stressed out.

Ah, that's what I suspected. Thanks!