Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
I have a question about my fatty cat.

I was feeding both of my cats Blue Buffalo light cat food. Unfortunately, this gave my skinny guy diarrhea, and I changed him to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. Now my fat cat has decided she really enjoys stealing his food when I'm not looking (she never steals it when I'm around, but she has remained delightfully pudgy while her food dish remains full).

My question is, should I just give in and start giving my fat cat the sensitive stomach food so that she's eating? She's pretty much refusing to eat her own diet food for her fatass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Actually, skinny's dish is up on the counter, while fatty's is on the floor. She's pretty sneaky about snatching his food--I just caught her quietly eating out of his dish. This morning, she sniffed her food and walked away like I had offended her.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Camembert posted:

I just wanted to pipe in and say that I switched my cat to Innova Evo, and after a little while she became a little barfy and had diarrhea. My vet prescribed some sort of med to help firm her stools to be given for a week, plus a switch to the Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food. I wasn't too happy with the food quality, and after discussing it with my vet, she suggested that I could try switching my cat back to Innova Evo, and if that didn't work, try switching her to a different food entirely. I gradually made the switch back to Evo and my cat hasn't had problems since. Maybe your cat just needed a more gradual transition to the Blue Buffalo, or maybe you should try switching brands (gradually). That way, you can still feed both your cats the same food and keep it of a good quality. You should probably consult your vet though, just in case.

Interestingly enough, my cat started on Innova from his foster home. Innova is only sold at a local vet's here, so I decided to switch him to Blue Buffalo for convenience. I did it very slowly and he seemed to really enjoy his new food, but he had diarrhea for a month solid :downsrim:

I realize that Science Diet isn't the greatest quality, but I guess I just don't have the wallet or the patience to keep trying new foods on him. Either way, fat cat still steals his food and has gotten to the point that she absolutely will not eat her own food. I really don't know if I should put her on the same Science Diet or a whole new food altogether. (She just had to do this right when I bought a brand new expensive bag).

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

You know you can buy small bags, right? It's an expensive pain in the rear end to find the right food for your pet, but it really is your responsibility to find the food that is the best for your pet (even if it's not the highest quality - whatever gets the best results with your pet's health). If you can't afford good food, you can't afford the pet. Just like if you can't afford vet care.

No, I can afford it. I actually used to feed my cats Purina CatChow until I discovered Pet Island here on SA, and switched to Blue Buffalo when I realized that CatChow poo poo. But since my skinny cat loves his sensitive stomach Science Diet, I don't see a reason to try him on some of the "heavier" foods like Innova if there's a chance that it might make him sick again.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

I had a sort of stupid question regarding my corgi (Cable, 3 1/2) and the Westie (Maddie, 10) I'm babysitting. Cable and Maddie know each other from frequent babysitting exchanges I do with my boss.

Normally, Maddie wants nothing to do with Cable and find his energy irritating. Cable has this weird thing where he'll let out a high pitched whine while he tries to lick her face, ears back. Maddie growls and holds her head up, then walks away when she's had enough. This only typically happens when Cable attempts to greet her.

Today, I caught them playing - which NEVER happens. Here's the game: Maddie bites Cable in the neck, then bounces back, then Cable bites her neck, submits by laying on his back, and lets her bite his neck. Over and over. They were running in circles playing this game for over 15 minutes.

What does this body language tell me about their relationship and attitude toward each other? Cable is young and loves to play, but really doesn't have a lot of interest in other dogs most of the time. Maddie is old and grouchy. I guess I just don't get why they were playing today.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

I hope this isn't addressed somewhere else, but I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with belly bands. We just moved to a new apartment (we unfortunately have moved a lot in the last few years). My 5 year old corgi has decided that our bedroom is a great place to pee - on the side of the dresser, the corners of the bed, sides of my laundry hamper, etc. Basic marking behavior.

He is crate trained so he doesn't have the opportunity to do it when we're not here, but when we are here he sneaks off sometimes to mark. A Petco employee mentioned belly bands and I wondered if they were effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

This behavior isn't necessarily new for him, as every place we move into he starts marking. He has a clean bill of health from the vet for his yearly exam, so I'm not worried about that.

The Petco girl told me that the belly band would train because the dog would 'give up' after trying to mark and not seeing any results. It wouldn't really be that great if it didn't train, though.