Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless
I have two young chinchillas that I've had for about a month. When I was setting up their cage, I bought a water bottle for them to use, but since their setup at the rescue where I got them from included a bowl of water, I put a water dish in there just until they found and got used to drinking from the bottle. Problem is, it's been a month, and they still haven't found the water bottle. I'd really like to get that water dish out of there, because I'm afraid that one of the times when they're rough housing they're gonna end up landing right in it. Any tips on getting them to use the water bottle instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless

RazorBunny posted:

Or they might just not be enticed to figure it out, since they have dishes. I've never kept a chinchilla, but we had a rabbit who wasn't bottle-trained. I think my folks picked him up and bumped his nose against the bottle until it wet his face a little. He figured it out pretty well. I bet you anything the various chinchilla websites will have advice on this. And if they never take to it, Housecat's crock idea is good.

I'm so glad my rats came knowing how to use the bottle. They make such a mess with a dish.

See, I considered that, but chinchillas really seem to dislike being held. They're both quite happy to jump into my hand and stay there while I pet them, but if I actually need to pick them up by putting a hand around them, they freak out a bit, so I don't know if I'd be able to have enough control over them to get them to notice that the bottle has water in it and isn't just there for decoration. The good news is that other than the occasional piece of alfalfa, they don't really get anything in their water dish.

And no, I checked various chinchilla websites before posting here. Maybe if I registered at one of their forums and asked someone would have a clue, but no luck just browsing faqs and tips.