Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

Brush your teeth for God's sake...
I have a 10 month old kitten. I was wondering if it is ok to start giving her adult catfood. Sad to say I have her on science diet kitten chow (vet talked me into it). I want to switch her to a better brand of catfood. Does she need to stay on kitten chow until she is one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

maplecheese posted:

Super high quality cat foods are generally suitable for both kittens and adult cats. The only real difference between Science Diet Kitten and Science Diet Adult Original is that kitten is 33/23/3 protein/fat/fiber and adult original is 30/20/2 and the ingredients are in a slightly different order. A decent food is going to have more protein than either. But if you're worried, look for one that says "for cats and kittens" on the bag.

Thanks for the info!

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

I don't know what to make of this. My two angel fish have blue fins... I noticed this while I was doing a water change a couple days ago. I thought it might just be due to stress but the fins are still blue. They are both about a year and a half old.

You can see the blue in her bottom fin.

Not the best picture, but you can see how blue those fins are!

Is this normal?

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

Shouganai posted:

Nice angelfish! Looks like a half-black and a gold to me, are they a pair? And no worries, that blue tint is just iridescence from the scales on those pelvic fins. It shouldn't be a concern as far as I know. When I kept and bred angels as a teen some of the types of angels I had showed that nice blue tint, and others didn't- just depended on the colour variation/type of angelfish.

Yep, they are a pair, though when I bought them that wasn't the intent. They were in a tank with about 50 others and I told the guy at the pet store to get me any gold and a half-black one. I got lucky.

The half-black is Silver Bullet (female) and Casper is the gold one (male). Good to know the blue fins is normal! I love my angelfish.

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

So I was petting Elwing and she did th typical "cat turns and sticks her rear end in owners face" move and I see something that does not belong. Its a flat, short, white worm. When it streches out its about 1/2 inch. Obviously I will be taking her to the vet. Would a OTC dewormer work? She is an indoor only cat, 8 months old, fed solid gold, and I have two other cats in the house. I hadn't noticed worms in the poo while cleaning the litter box. Any idea what it could be? What are the chances that my other two cats have worms too?

Edit: I think its tapeworm. She was infested with fleas when I got her from the shelter (July 08). The vet treated her for the fleas, and she was given a dose of dewormer. Maybe that one dose wasn't enough. Is it possible she has had them that long?

VyperRDH fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

I have a question about introducing an older cat to our household.

We currently have three cats (between the ages of 2 and 1) and have been thinking about getting a 4th cat. So far when we have added a new cat it was a kitten and therefore younger then the current cat/cats. Recently we've talked about getting a fourth cat (surprisingly the husband's idea). While the shelter here has tons of kittens I've decided this time it would be nice to adopt one of the older cats at the shelter. They have several cats who are between 5 and 9 who have been in the shelter for months and not been adopted.

How hard would it be to introduce a much older cat to my current ones?

I'm not concerned with Elwing (the youngest one) she loves everyone and everything, dog, cat, human. The older two are the ones I am worried about. While at first Arwen would be angry at the new arrival she has always gotten over it, but then she has always been older and larger then the new cats. She definitely is the dominant cat however. The other two bow to her wishes. I'm worried that she may react more to an older cat.

Elendil will probably be the one who has the biggest problem with a new cat. He's a very nervous/anxious/fearful cat. I'll have him in my arms and my husband will be in the kitchen and make a noise and Elendil will freak out at the sound and scratch me to pieces to get away. He doesn't like new people or new things. We bought a new couch and he was afraid of it for days. After having him for a year he is still afraid of my husband and generally avoids all humans. The other two cats will come over when called, he won't. He does get along great with the other two cats, he obeys Arwen and they all play together constantly.

Do you think an older cat would work? Or would adding a kitten be the thing to do?

Also, any ideas on helping Elendil be less fearful?