Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I noticed my dog (~75-pound mutt) was licking at his rear paw a bunch, did some investigating, and saw he had a scrape on the side of one of his paw pads. It didn't look too bad, and it's on a spot that doesn't hit the ground when he walks, so I just got an Elizabethean collar from the vet to keep him from licking. Getting a full inspection would have required sedating him; he's a rescue and does very poorly with strangers. For the most part though he's been leaving the paw alone, and he doesn't appear to be in any distress.

I decided to take a second look just now, and grabbed a photo:

It doesn't look (or smell) infected, but it does look raw enough that I'm now a bit worried about infection striking. In particular, I'm dropping him off at a kennel tomorrow to start my one-week vacation. I can swing by the vet if necessary on the way in; do you think they'd prescribe antibiotics if they saw that photo? If it's going to get fine on its own as long as he leaves it alone, then the collar is all that's required. If I don't get antibiotics, I'd ask the kennel to keep an eye on him; if they say he's getting worse, I can come in during the middle of my vacation to take him to the vet. The kennel people are pretty good with difficult dogs, but I doubt they could inspect his paw as closely as I can, though, so I'm not really sure they'd be able to tell if he was getting worse.

Bleh. The timing on this is pretty rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, I think I'll still ask the vet for a second expert opinion. Just that bit of extra peace of mind.

One thing I'm grateful for with Pavlov (that's the doggy) is that he's pretty easy to pill. I usually just wipe a bit of peanut butter on the pill and it goes right down; I'm sure he'd swallow pills in a pill pocket too.

Here, have a photo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there anyone besides your mom you could leave the dog with?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I (try to) brush my dog's teeth every morning, with limited success. My dog doesn't hate getting his teeth brushed, though; he just wants to eat the toothpaste. One thing I've found that helps a bit is to hold the top of his snout with one hand (thumb on one side, pointer finger on the other side, gently pinching) while the other hand wields the brush. That makes it harder for him to turn his head; hopefully it slows him down enough that the brush spends more time on his teeth than it does on his tongue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am not a training expert, but I'd guess that your mother's refusal to put in effort is the crux of the issue. Phoebe's learned that when she's on vacation with mom, none of the rules apply, because there's nobody around to enforce them. Fixing that is going to require enforcing rules. If your mom isn't willing to do that, then you'll have to find somewhere else to board her that will. It might help if you could get your mom to accompany you to a session with a dog trainer. Get that outside, expert opinion on how to deal with a misbehaving dog.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Without being able to see the area in question, it's hard to give a firm answer. But as long as the dog never has a reason to go charging towards the balcony, I don't think it's realistically likely they'd fall off. If they do charge around though then they absolutely can just blow through and fall off, because dogs, like small children, do not plan ahead or think about how things might go wrong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You said yourself that Missy's quality of life isn't great. It's up to you if it's not-great enough to consider euthanasia, but in general I'm a proponent of not torturing pets by forcing them to stay alive past the point when they're able to enjoy their lives.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Scionix posted:

Is there a single solitary insurance company that is not horseshit

Considering that their path to profit is to extract fees from customers, and then minimize their costs when customers come calling? It's fundamentally fraught with moral hazard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You got her a week and a half ago. There's no way she's fully acclimated to her new life yet. Give her time.

As for the surgery, my feeling would be that if you're able to keep tabs on her (i.e. she's not hiding out of sight all the time) and she's not messing with the injury, then it's probably fine. You can buy a cone from a pet supply store if you're worried though.

The green dots are a tattoo that the vet puts on each animal they neuter, to make sure that nobody tries to neuter them twice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't see why it'd be a problem. Baseballs are softer than some chew toys. Just don't let the dog destroy it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about specific products, but you could probably use a couple of clamps to non-permanently attack a board or piece of plywood to the windowsill, and then put a regular cat bed on that. Just make sure to protect the windowsill from the clamps, and don't put heavy weight (like, a person's bodyweight) on it, because of leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly, depending on the cat and coworker (and their setup), either of those could be the best option. Can you take the cat to play dates with the coworker, to do introductions and familiarize them with each other? That'd also give you a chance to better evaluate that option.

When you say the coworker has a caretaking company, does that mean that he has a lot of animals at his house? That's another factor to consider.