Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lopside Fundip
Aug 15, 2001

baby duck hat posted:

If anyone remembers what I'm talking about, do you know what happened to her?

That's Abuelita. I'm her guardian.

That was almost three years ago and she's doing very well. We moved in with my boyfriend last month, so she has another caregiver. It's great because I work nights and he works days so there's always someone with her.

When I think back at the time we've shared, it's not the physical changes that surprise me. Certainly, her health and mobility have improved dramatically but the change in her personality is colossal.

She has become an INCREDIBLY annoying small dog.

She used to be so quiet and so grateful for any little bit of attention. She's still very sweet and mild mannered when we aren't at home. Still gentle and a little nervous at the park.

At home she's a spoiled little monster. She spends her waking hours scuttling around on dog island or in her muffy hut staring sharply at you and barking, grumbling and hobbling around in impatient little circles.

Using a very limited vocabulary of gestures and noises, she very clearly gives the impression that being a tiny adorable dog is very frustrating and it is completely beyond her why she is not picked up and held for every second of the day.

We just got a couch. Her favorite thing is to stand up on it and bark incessantly whenever the cat is visible. It's not much of a hobby but she clearly enjoys it very much.

It is irritating sometimes, but it's really charming somehow. She's like a very old, very grumpy, slightly senile grandparent. I just love her so goddamned much.

I don't have a site, but I have a bunch of photos of her on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/stretchlib

if you are interested.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lopside Fundip
Aug 15, 2001

Shnooks posted:

Does it seem inhumane to keep her in a large crate when we're not home? The crate is big - a larger one to keep maybe 4-5 ferrets in it. It's from our neighbor who does wildlife rescue.

I don't think it's inhumane, it's a smart way to start introductions. People get really wigged out like "OMG CAT IN A CAGE" but honestly, as long as she isn't in there all day long, she's already way better off than the cats at the pound.

Kittens are curious, open the door when you are home to monitor interactions and she'll come out to explore at her own pace. It's better than traumatizing the poor little thing and gives her a place to feel safe while she gets used to the new noises and house traffic.

I don't like to give small kittens full run of the house anyway. They have incredibly bad ideas and no matter how much you kitten-proof, they will find a way to do the dumbest thing possible.

Lopside Fundip
Aug 15, 2001
I've always heard that called the "primordial pouch" but I'm not finding a good source to refer you to.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150341

If it's just a pouch, it should feel flappy and empty. If it's fat, it should feel more like boobs. Some cats have them, some don't. In my admittedly limited experience, there isn't a direct correlation to gender or sex status.

She's young, so it's not as likely to be fat.

If you are worried: make sure she exercises, give her a "tree" to climb, invest in good food, don't free-feed dry and consider giving wet only. Make sure you take her to the vet annually, even if she isn't having problems.

It's easy for owners not to notice a gradual weight-gain. Honestly, your baby is probably fine, but it's good that you want to keep an eye on it. An extra pound or two doesn't seem like much to us, but on an 8 pound cat it has signifigant long-term health effects.