Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
My cat had two mast cell skin tumors removed last week. He's fine but has two large shaved areas (one one back, one on neck) and I can the itching is driving him crazy but he seems otherwise OK

They gave me antibiotics that are to be delivered for 10 days, twice a day. I have a syringe that squirts the antibiotic into his mouth. I'm currently on Day 5. Each attempt at giving the antibiotic results in BIG DRAMA.

Obviously the vet thought it was important enough to give him this antibiotic for all ten days and I intend to do so, but after Day 7 I need to go out of town for the christmas holiday for a couple days. I've dug up a friend to pop in twice a day to finish off the medication but my friend is not used to pets and certainly not keen on experiencing the BIG DRAMA that results (the demonstration I gave him only made him more wide-eyed; didn't inspire much confidence).

So my question to the experts: how important is the three more days of antibiotics? If it matters, the cat is 100% indoors.

I've tried getting a pet-sitter but apparently in this area you need to plan ahead two months or more for the holiday (I didn't get plans made until two weeks ago). Same with boarding him. So the friend is last resort but I really don't know if he'll be able to deal with applying antibiotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Chaco posted:

Have you tried wrapping the cat in a towel to make him more manageable? The other idea would be mixing the liquid with something he'll eat easily, like wet food or meat baby food, though some cats see right through that trick.

I can get him to take the antibiotic OK, it's my friend I'm worried about. I guess what I'm worried about is if my friend doesn't succeed in getting my cat to take the antibiotic for the last 3 days of the prescription if there's a chance of infection or whatever.