Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I changed my water in my beta tank last night and I come home from work and they are both dead. Any ideas on what might have caused this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

First, "beta" is a pet peeve of mine. They're bettas, from their scientific name Betta splendens.

How much water did you change? What kind of water did you refill with? Do you use any additives to the water? Did you have the bettas separated by a barrier of some sort?

Is your tank heated and do you have an accurate thermometer on the tank? How big is the tank and does it have any filtration? Do you do any testing on the water chemistry?

I changed a large amount, I realize that I shouldn't have done this and its probably what did it. I refilled it with dechlorinated tap water. Yes, They are separated. No heater because I live in San Diego and its 70-80 almost everyday. No testing of water chemistry.

Cuddlebottom posted:

1) If you didn't dechlorinate, the chlorine/chloramines got them.
2) If you didn't double check the temperature of your water, the shock may have killed them.
3) If you changed a large quantity at once, the shock may have killed them.
4) Having two bettas in a tank (are the both male? :gonk: ) may have killed them.
5) Ambient temperature could have dropped enough to kill them.
6) Your tank parameters may have sucked anyways and killed them.

1. Did that
2. Did not do that
3. This was probably it
4. It has a divider in it
5. It was very cold last night and I didnt have my heater on
6. Possibly.

What is the proper way to care for these type of fish? I did some research and some say they dont need much attention and others say the tanks need a lot of work. What type of tank settings and care do you recommend?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
What would be the best type of filter for a divided 3-5 gallon beta tank?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I am moving next week to a different part of city where the tap water is noticeably different quality than where I am living now. How should I go about water changes for my betta tank?