Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

they were smoking MARIJUANA! in the CHURCH!
What are the signs that I am underfeeding my cats?

Heres the reasons I ask this

I feed my four cats four bowls( about 4.5-5 cups) of their food (Solid Gold Katzenflocken) each day. I do not moniter who eats what, but I have three "teen" kittens and a 3 year old, so I notice the kits eating more than the Gent. My fiancee and I sometimes worry Alfie doesn't get enough food, but at the same time he has a tendancy to get porky, as his previous owners told me. She slimmed him down from 16 to 11 lbs and I don't want him fat again. He also MUST eat everytime I fill the bowl, so I like feeding them ONCE so he doesn't gorge.

Also, please tell me this because my fiancee always fed his cats lovely food before(as that was all his mom would buy) and they ate a LOT more than my kits eat of the super awesome super premium food they now eat so he worries I am denying the herd food they need. I was taught that my SG has tons more protein and good for cats stuff so they don't need as much as they would of Meow Mix. This makes my fiancee overfeed them on treats and I want to tell him that I'm not so he'll STOP.

Ugh. Please tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Not to be pedantic, but a male engaged person is a fiancé, and the female is fiancée.

If he's just eating when you fill the bowl, like a little off the top, get a larger bowl and fill it once, and he'll wolf down food when you first fill it and might leave it alone the rest of the day. This will let the younger cats browse.

A way to know for sure, and put both your mind and that of their "daddy" at rest, is to take them all in for a well-cat visit to your veterinarian and talk to him/her about their nutrition.

I am essentially doing the large bowl approach. They get all the bowls filled once per day. The time vary because I wait for the bowls to be empty. Sometimes it takes them 24 hours to empty the four bowls, sometimes it takes up to 36. This is why I don't think I'm underfeeding. The kits graze, but Olivier still worries.

I've also been weighing Alfie. He has gained a little weight, but I attribute that to him being much healthier due to a now corn free diet(he has corn issues).

I tried the vet approach. I got told I wasn't feeding my cats good food and had I heard about the wonders of Science diet for indoor kitties. WHen I objected I got told that I was putting my cats health at risk by not feeding them a scientificly balence formula. When I told him Alfie has issues with Corn, diagnosed by his previous vet, the vet told me I was overreacting. Ugh.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Frankly, Dru, sounds like time for a new vet.

Oh gently caress yes. I'm just broke right now and theres no point in going to the vet when there is nothing wrong. When I go to the vet again it will be a much better vet who might still push SD, but won't pooh-pooh alfies allergies. I ask only to be able to answer my fiance and his worries about underfeeding. I don't think I am. But he wants to know what the signs WOULD be.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

drat Bananas posted:

If he's opening cabinets you should look into some child-proof cabinet locks for any that contain cleaning products.

This is a great idea. My mom uses this on her cats.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

My cats won't EAT!

Well, yes they will, but they refuse to eat what I give them and I worry they'll hurt themselves. They're all on the thin side anyways due to a recent trauma(lost my fourth cat and they were so freaked they didn't eat and lost about a pound each)

I found a nutritionally good food they will not EAT. Its got all the right things but they turn their nose up at it.

Can I wait them out, should I? I currently pay 43 bucks a bag for my food and this food is 25 bucks a bag(and according to the megathread goes from Ultra Premium to Premium). That money could be spent on other things.

How long can I wait them out before I have to give them wet food?

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

maplecheese posted:

Dude(ette), just let me give you some of the Orijen that we have and you can at least do a 50/50 mix.

Its ok. I gave in and bought a big bad of Orijen. I just wanted them to eat the old food because we HAD it already. I just wanted to see if I could wait them out, which I can't. drat kittens.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

My kitten pees EVERYWHERE!

She's a 4 month old kitten who was not litter trained before we got her at 6 weeks(yes too young but it was life or death). Her sister is the perfect litter box goer, but she insists on peeing in our clothes, or on the floor or anywhere she can get her little but near.

She's BEEN vet checked theres nothing wrong with her but the PEEING.

This is in addition to her annoying habit of pooping on the steps of the Boda Dome.

All my previous cats WERE litterbox trained but this one is driving me mental. Advice? Do these 'cat attract' things work?

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

My cat has no fangs.

Weirdest thing. Na-na is about 2.5, and she's lost both her top fangs. She's not in any pain, her gums look normal, they're just.....gone/ They were super small to begin with, like abnormally small for her other teeth, and now they're just gone.

Anyone else have this before I go drop all my savings at the vet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

Well, kittens do have baby teeth which fall out at some point, but 2.5 seems awfully old for that.

My thought too, but they were definetely her baby fangs. We brush their teeth and would have noticed. Her sister lost one, which we assumed was from some sort of trauma given that she's the one climbing the drapes and making crazy flying leaps