Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Shortymrbig posted:

spade
Spayed. A spade is a shovel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

floramarche posted:

My mother will be caring for a friend's cat for an indefinite length of time. The cat is pregnant and due in 2-3 weeks. She would like to know:
1. How should she best prepare things for the cat to give birth?
2. How long should the birth take? What are some signs of trouble to look out for?
3. How much of a vet deposit should she ask for, in case the cat needs medical attention?
4. If the mother cat can't nurse, how and what should she feed the kittens?
5. Is there anything special she should do for the mother cat and kittens in their first few weeks?
6. Anything else we're forgetting to ask?
Besides "emergency spay," the answer to 1-6 is: call your local vet and ask. These are all things they can tell you with much better clarity than PI. Make sure you also get their emergency/after-hours number, in case poo poo hits the fan.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Admin Understudy posted:

My question is what's the correct course of action here?
Have you called around any vet's offices in the area? They're another good place to check for lost dogs, and they might be able to scan him for a microchip.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

KilGrey posted:

Basically my mom is an idiot and still isn't understanding that it's not 'breeders' I had an issue with, just her original one and now I feel like she's going to make another stupid choice. I just really wanted her to go out and adopt a damned dog, not find a mystery dog on the internet for $900. I didn't think this was that hard. :(
Maybe direct her to Petfinder (I'm on the other side of the country, but I've seen a few CKCS up) or a CKCS rescue? $900 is definitely way out there, though considering she's spayed/chipped/vaccinated, money to cover those expenses would be more reasonable. I agree that an amount that high is much more of a "price" than a "fee."

For comparison, the two Cavs my family adopted from Lucky Star Rescue cost about a $500 donation each. (Might have been $600 since they were puppies.)

(It's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, by the way. ;) )

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

pioneermax posted:

Recently posted about my pup marking the bin. Hes scheduled for the chop but what can i do to stop him peeing on well what seems everything now while i wait?

Ive tried sprays but hes just fresh marking once ive sprayed things down. Oh an ive shut off the kitchen, scolding him in the act is not affective.
Keep him leashed to you - hard to piss on things if he's right with you all the time. Give him extra walks, so he's got less in his bladder. Finally, if he's small enough you can use a belly band temporarily. It's basically a little belt you wrap around his waist with a maxipad - if he's just marking (not full-on pissing) it'll soak it up and at least save your furniture.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Egad! posted:

Why are German Shepherds called GSDs and not just German Sheperds. It seems like the D in GSD is a bit redundant, mostly since I can't think of anything else you could confuse them with.
GS looks silly as a plural - GSs? Wikipedia actually has a real answer:

Wikipedia posted:

The breed was named Deutscher Schäferhund by Von Stephanitz, literally translating to "German Shepherd Dog". The breed was so named due its original purpose of assisting shepherds in herding and protecting sheep. At the time, all other herding dogs in Germany were referred to by this name; they thus became known as Altdeutsche Schäferhunde or Old German Shepherd Dogs. Shepherds were first exported to Britain in 1908, and the UK Kennel Club began to recognise the breed in 1919.

The direct translation of the name was adopted for use in the official breed registry; however, at the conclusion of World War I, it was believed that the inclusion of the word "German" would harm the breed's popularity, due to the anti-German sentiment of the era. The breed was officially renamed by the UK Kennel Club to "Alsatian Wolf Dog" which was also adopted by many other international kennel clubs. Eventually, the appendage "wolf dog" was dropped. The name Alsatian remained for five decades, until 1977, when successful campaigns by dog enthusiasts pressured the British kennel clubs to allow the breed to be registered again as German Shepherd Dogs.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Helanna posted:

Is there anything I can do to make it better?
Earplugs. Really the only thing you can do is ignore it, take her out on a pre-set schedule and don't reward her for whining. Fortunately the vast majority of puppies figure this out pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Bubbs posted:

My 3 month old puppy developed a red lump in the bottom right corner of her right eye. It's not really on her eye though; kinda just in that area. She moves it just fine and it's not bothering her. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this before and can offer some advice, because I can't get her into the vet until later this week.
Doesn't look like this, does it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_eye? If so then it's something you should take to the vet, but it can be fixed with a relatively small procedure. Otherwise seconding the compress idea, watch out to make sure the eye isn't otherwise discharging or painful looking.

mastershakeman posted:

We're having a few problems with him-one is that he's really shy/fearful and tends to run away instead of barking at strangers (we want him to alert us to people on our property) and the other is we're having problems training him properly to obey voice commands.

Some background-the dog is never on a leash, and although right now is inside the house a lot, over time he's going to end up outside most of the day/night.
Look into clicker training, it's a very useful technique to teach pretty much anything to a dog. As for general obedience, honestly I think many tricks are easier to teach if you're on a lead to begin with (especially down and come) - you may actually find a regular training class useful. We actually have a few PIers (Lasandar has been mentioned, Superconductor is another) who have working outdoor dogs, this might be something you want to start your own thread for. In general, PI is very pro-indoor dogs, but for working animals there are quite a few people here who would be happy to help.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 6, 2009