Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
A short question with probably a long answer:

What is the best way (or how do you) control cat hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Mother Rucker posted:

A short answer: if your cats are longhaired, and indoor only, do what I do: shave the little shits bald :haw:

Daily brushing/combing of even shorthaired cats can reduce the fuzz left on your belongings. If the cats shed excessively, you may want to change their diet as it can contribute greatly to the amound of hair they shed.

First comment: I suggested that long ago and was met with eyes showing the fire of a thousand suns from the cat's owner.

Second comment: What dietary changes would you suggest? I'm sort of meh about the idea. As far as grooming, every time I brush her it seems that the amount of hair is inconsequential.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Myok posted:

The FURminator grooming brush is said to be great for cutting down on shedding, though I just bought one and can't vouch for it yet. One of the cat rescues I work with swears by it.

My massive Honeywell 50250 Air Purifier which I bought to catch dander also traps a considerable quantity of cat hair. It has a permanent HEPA filter so the only maintenance is to vacuum the filter occasionally and replace the carbon wrapper every three months or as needed.

Regularly vacuum anything in your house that has carpet or fabric. Somewhere around here there's a vacuum recommendation thread.

Thanks for the brush link, I just ordered one.

The air purifier is something I was thinking of as a decent catch-all solution (not a bad idea overall in old houses anyway ala mold). How much improvement did you see in the surrounding area?