Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
What would be the best/easiest sorts of snails to breed as food for my dwarf puffers? Would snails need a very complex set up to breed? How many would I want? I figure I want a sort that are hermaphrodites...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

gross posted:

I don't know much about dwarf puffers, but are plain old pest snails all right for them to eat?

I keep a small unheated tank with a couple of floating plants and an under-gravel filter where I toss the pest snails I pick out of my other tanks. They breed endlessly in there whether I feed them or not. I doubt you would need anything more complex than a container of water with a light shining on it - just toss in a cheap, tough plant from a tank at the store that has snails in it, and you will get more snails. As far as I can tell, they just breed faster in warmer water, and grow larger in cold water.

Cool. I'm planning on setting up a simple filtered, heated bucket for raising snails.

Anyone know what kind of snails though? I've seen cheap auctions for 50 ramshorn snails, and one for 50 Malaysian trumpet snails, but I'm not sure which kind would be best as dwarf puffer food.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I'm pretty sure you want the ramshorns. I remember being told that the MTS shells are harder and they don't make great food for puffers - the puffers only eat them if they can kind of pry them out of their shells.

Hm, I thought dwarf puffers didn't normally break through the shells anyway? When mine hunt they watch until the snail peeks out of its shell then they dart in and grab it and suck out all the delicious juicy insides, so shell strength doesn't seem to be an issue.

Maybe I'll get both kinds for variety! :haw: Unless they'd eat *each other* or something.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Is it ok to keep a fish tank in a bathroom?

It's a 5 gallon tank, with a cover, containing one goldfish. On the rare occasions that I would use hairspray or any other type of spray, I will simply step out of the room to use it, so I'm not concerned about contaminating his water at all.

What I am concerned about it temperature changes. It's a tiny little room, which is noticeably warmer after someone showers. How much will that affect his water temperature? Is there any other fishy health issues I'm not thinking of?

You can have a tank anywhere you like I suppose- the big issue here is five gallons is WAY too small for even one goldfish. Ten (with GREAT filtration, I mean like a filter rated for a larger tank) is the minimum for a small goldfish, and adults need 20-30 gallons and even better filtration. This is because they're incredibly messy, and larger tanks and better filters means a healthy fish.

That five would be perfect for a betta though! :)

(And such short term changes of temperature in the bathroom likely wouldn't be enough to change the water temperature much. But if you go with a betta, remember they're tropical and need water around 80 degrees.)

Customer Service fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2008

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

My family got a 10 week old Presa Canario mix from the shelter and I'm interested in eventually getting into some activities with him, like weight pull and obedience- anything that would be good really, since he has the potential to become a very large, powerful dog and the more training he has the better. I'd like to have him trained to even protect one of us if it was needed, and that sort of stuff. But I'm having a hard time finding out how/where to even get started with that sort of thing.

Hell I can't even find any basic puppy training classes- they either only have them on an 'as needed' basis and don't plan any soon, or the ones that are being held are 1-2 hours from me. (I'm in Southern Maryland. I am 2 hours from everything worthwhile.) I'm not sure if 1-2 hour drives would be good for such a young puppy who isn't used to a car yet either, I'd imagine it would stress him and I don't think that would be good for training. Should I just go with something like Petco training or should I wait til October for something better to start closer?

I'm also not really clear how best to start socializing a young puppy who doesn't have all his shots and doesn't seem keen on going for walks yet.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm having a persistent problem that when I walk my parent's dog, he pulls like mad. He's very strong and about 80 lbs, and I have a very difficult time stopping him.

I think it's because my dad usually jogs with him and he's used to going faster. I like to walk at a normal pace, but he wants to go fast. But if I speed up, he speeds up too!

I've read everything that says to just stop in your tracks and praise them when they heel or stop pulling or turn to look at you... but he never does. I've tried over and over, every trick they say. I'll stand there and wait and wait, and he just keeps pulling, or at least never takes tension off the leash. He never heels. At best he'll just sit, but the second we start moving again he's back to pulling.

If I try to turn around and go the other way, he just pulls in the other direction.

He usually ignores treats when we're walking, even if he hasn't had dinner yet and should be hungry, so I have no way to reward him for those brief instances where he's not pulling.

I'm at a total loss. My dad insist he walks perfectly for them, but I think in that case my dad is just fast enough to keep up with the pace the dog wants to go.

Should I look into prong collars or anything? He starts wheezing he pulls so hard with a normal collar and it worries me.

VVV edit: Ooh I totally forgot about those things, thanks. The head collars always looked iffy but that looks like it could work... I'll stop by Petco and see what they have.

Customer Service fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

QueenOfTheEyesores posted:

well, he bought a bowl sold specifically for use with Betta fish. Basically it's just your everyday round plastic fish bowl.

Eh, even bowls 'especially for' are usually way too small. Not to mention a lack of top means bettas can jump right out, which they are known to do (when they're healthy anyway). I'd say two gallons is minimum, five is better.

They're also tropical fish, so they need heating. Usually room temp is too cool unless you keep the room at 78-80 or so.

Not sure what those symptoms could mean exactly, but keeping him at the right temp can help at least.