Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
My roommate has a generally sweet black bear hamster, but I have noticed that since winter has finally shown up, she isn't coming out and running in her wheel, or chewing on stuff as much as she used to. She only comes out a few times at night that I know of to drink and eat. This is a very big change to what she would do during the summer, when she would run in her wheel for what seemed like hours at a time.

What I would love to know is, do hamsters hibernate or go through some version of it? I don't think that the apartment is too cold, in fact most of the time I think it is too hot at home, so I don't know if the temperature is the problem or just the fact that they just slow down during the winter.

Any ideas PI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Helanna posted:

They're probably just smelling the vets on her; when one of my cats was away for a short time, my others weren't impressed when I brought her home; hissing, growling etc.. Keep an eye on the situation (since post-op kitty isn't going to be too great defending herself), maybe pick up a feliway diffuser to help things along if it persists.

Another thing to try is to take a damp cloth and wipe down Millie to get rid of the vet smell, and then rub her gently with something that the other cats sleep on so Millie gets the vet smell replaced by good smells.