Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It's not super rare. Smoke persians have a similar design, with black or dark grey guard hairs and a much lighter undercoat. So your cat might have a double coat of some kind, since it sheds in the lighter color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'll see if I have any pictures of my smoke persian Button aka Senor Poopypants (RIP) in his shaved state, which show his light grey nekkid bum contrasted with his black booties and face. At work and can't check.

Edit: said deceased cat has a song named after him (he makes a non-sequiteur appearance in it) and it just came up on my ipod. Spooooky :tinfoil:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 6, 2007

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bunnicula posted:

I was wondering how often to clean my dog's toys. Do you clean them on a schedule or do you just wait for them to get icky? I have a pom, so he's not slobbering all over his stuff, but I do wonder if bacteria will build up in his stuffed toys if I don't clean them every so often. Also, can you use antibacterial soap on rubber toys or can that be harmful? I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I need to know how far I should go with the cleaning.

If it won't make you barfy, wash rubber toys in the top rack of the dishwasher after scrubbing off any food/solids.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mr. nazi posted:

Adopted a cat 2 weeks ago, and he loves to be groomed/brushed. One thing that is strange is that, so far without fail, after 10-20 good brushstrokes, this cat acts like it must get up and go eat about 5 pieces of food. Then he comes back for more brushing. I've tried brushing him in rooms other than the one his food is kept in, and it doesn't make a difference.

He's not a fatty cat or anything, but this seems like a strange ritual and makes giving him a full brushing time consuming. Is this just a quirk of my cat or do other cats act like they have an overwhelming urge to eat when they get "too happy" from playing/grooming/etc. He loves to be brushed, can hear him purring from across the room.

Sounds like a personality quirk of your cat. Hey may be getting over-stimulated by the brushing and stops to take a little break. Or it could've been something his previous owners did (depending on his age) where maybe they got him to hold still for brushing by giving him food or treats and now he associates one with the other and thinks that he has to have both at the same time :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

c0ldfuse posted:

A short question with probably a long answer:

What is the best way (or how do you) control cat hair?

A short answer: if your cats are longhaired, and indoor only, do what I do: shave the little shits bald :haw:

Daily brushing/combing of even shorthaired cats can reduce the fuzz left on your belongings. If the cats shed excessively, you may want to change their diet as it can contribute greatly to the amound of hair they shed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

c0ldfuse posted:

First comment: I suggested that long ago and was met with eyes showing the fire of a thousand suns from the cat's owner.

Second comment: What dietary changes would you suggest? I'm sort of meh about the idea. As far as grooming, every time I brush her it seems that the amount of hair is inconsequential.

You can check out the pet nutrition megathread for good suggestions on diet. If the owner is feeding something lovely like store brand food, even upgrading to a mid-quality food like Iams will probably make a difference. Using high-quality food has more benefits than less shedding, such as less pooping and a healthier pet overall. If you live in a very dry climate, you can try adding some fish oil to their food to help with skin and coat condition. Also, if the cat is eating good food already but has a terrible coat, there may be other medical issues causing the problem.

If it really isn't an issue with excessive shedding, just having hair all over (which happens when you have a pet regardless of how much you groom), I have one of those corduroy-like lint brushes to get the big stuff off the couch and chair, and then a sticky roller to get the fine stuff and keep my clothes hair free. My mother has a Dyson vacuum and swears by the thing (she has 5 cats).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

maplecheese posted:

Since when do dogs wag their tails because of stress? :confused:

Always, actually. Most people think a wagging tail is a sign of happiness, when it's actually a sign of conflicting emotions. Your dog that wags his tail upon seeing you is probably excited or happy, but also a bit fearful. Not necessarily in a terrified "oh poo poo" sense, but in that of a dog lower in the pack order with some trepidation at approaching the alpha.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

maplecheese posted:

Ok, did some googling here... while the idea that dogs are ALWAYS afraid when they wag seems to still be out of the mainstream, (the "more energy than they know what to do with" and "not-attacking-you signal" also appear to have a number of adherents) the scared "oh god don't hurt me" wag was also mentioned, which I for some reason didn't think of when I saw the word "wag". That's the one where the dog keeps his tail really low to the ground and only wags the tip. If THAT's what your dog's doing in response to the flashlight, then no, he probably doesn't like it. But the best way to tell would be to compare his behaviour around the flashlight to his behaviour when he's excited about something you KNOW he likes, like some other toy or game, treats, or going for a walk. If his posture, expression, and wagging are the same, then he probably likes it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion. Dog is happy but also apprehensive? Tail wags. Ready to pee himself with excitement (overloading his doggie brain, which is stress, but a better kind)? Tail wags. Doesn't know whether to poo poo or wind his wristwatch (can't decide if he should bite you or run and hide under the house)? Tail wags. A dog who is hell-bent on going after you won't wag, nor will a dog who is terrified - the tail will be straight up/straight out or tucked underneath. Most people just equate tail-wagging with happiness, which isn't correct at all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Larva posted:

Did you get him from the pound? If so, it's very likely he has an upper respiratory/eye infection, which can be cleared up with oral and ocular antibiotics. Having to clean out eye gunk every day from a cat does not seem normal to me.

It varies from breed to breed and cat to cat. My white persian has eye gunk like you wouldn't believe, and it's normal for her and her breed. About once a week I pin her down and wash her face. In between washings she rubs her face on whatever she can find and leaves gross skidmarks :barf: . The vet says it's fine and she doesn't suffer from any infections or problems, it's just that her eyes are weepy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kitten Kisses posted:

How long does it take approximately for a lion cut to grow back out? We finally gave up on trying to keep one of our elderly kitties mat free and just shaved it all off tonight. It was our first try at cat shaving, and despite all his squirming the only thing hurt was his pride. He seems pretty happy about it now, but I'm curious as to how long a wait I have before I can stop laughing every time he walks into the room.

That's the fun of shaving the cat :3: Mine takes about 6 months to return to her huge exploding glory. If you're going to keep him shaved, you might wait a couple months, then just trim him with an attachment to keep the fur short but manageable.

My cat doesn't like the shaving, but she does enjoy the results. For the first month or so after she gets shaved bald she's very affectionate and likes to have her back scratched.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

little green jewel posted:

So, my questions.

1. Have the odds increased any since they started treatment? They said the first three days are the worst, but I'm afraid to start hoping just because it's Sunday. I've gone into this hoping for the best but not expecting much. Puppies can go downhill so quickly; anything could have happened overnight. I haven't called them yet today.

2. IF they pull through, will they have any immunity period? Not that we haven't already set to work destroying the parvo in the house, which brings me to my next question.

3. We already bleached the christ out of the carpet where they were sick and the crate they slept in, and we just threw away the puppy bed with most of the puke on it (after washing it off). But there are all kinds of piles in the yard that are solid but unusually dark. This is my first experience with parvo, and my first thought was that something they were fed at the shelter was causing the discoloration. I feel like an idiot now. Anyway, am I going to have to kill my grass too, or is the waste uninfected because it's not diarrhea? I hate to have a pockmarked lawn, but I'd hate to have a yard crawling with disease for months on end even more.

4. I only had them Monday - Thursday. I'm not sure how long parvo incubates. Did they catch it here, or were we given sick puppies?

Sorry man, parvo really sucks.

1. Any treatment is better than nothing. How much it increases the survival rate has to do with how nasty the virus is and other factors you have no control over.

2. Ask your vet about this. Even if they do now have an immunity to parvo, their immune systems will probably be compromised and weak until they fully recover.

3. Clean up all the waste, but you can't sterilize dirt. There's no point in pouring bleach all over the lawn. Should the worst happen and your pups not survive, you won't be able to let another puppy or unvaccinated dog out there for a long time. A healthy, vaccinated adult dog would probably be ok, but nothing very young or old or with a compromised immune system.

4. The dogs were probably sick when you adopted them. You should contact the shelter tomorrow and let them know. Municipal shelters in particular get all sorts of strays that can have all kinds of diseases and a really bad outbreak can wipe out an entire shelter population if they don't get on top of it quickly.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ExtraFox posted:

My cat Bees is about eight months old, and does normal kitten/teen cat type things. She can't stand small objects being on tables and must knock them onto the floor. She loves bags and boxes of all types. She's a licker. All normal.

What I don't understand is why she feels the need to attack posters/art on the walls of my apartment. They don't move, they're flat against the wall. She's torn two posters and knocked down a piece of a paper collage I made, all with great exuberance. We're talking going through the motions of stalking the posters, swishing her tail, hunkering down, and leaping up the wall at them. I punish her in the only way the she'll respond to (loud noises), but she keeps at it. Seriously, attacking posters? Why on earth does she do this? It's not a big deal, but it bugs me because I can't figure out what the appeal is.

She's an 8 month old kitten. In other words, a complete rear end in a top hat. Maybe try putting out some toys that will attract her attention instead of the posters, or work in some interactive time with a laser pointer or the like to satisfy her stalking and killing urges.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MoCookies posted:

Yup. That's the All-American Shelter dog. I've got one, too. I think that's what mutts end up looking like if you've got a mishmash of at least a few different breeds.

Pariah dogs all end up looking similar, no matter what area of the world you find them in, and that's pretty close. They have semi-erect ears, a slightly curly tail, and that head shape. Kind of neat that they all end up looking the same no matter what weird breeds went into making them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

cramps posted:

I found a stray cat and absolutely can't keep him here, we already have two and the landlord says that's all he'll allow. Do you generally have to pay to take strays to a shelter? It's not a problem if I do, I'm just curious. He's living in the basement until we get him taken care of, so he's warm and well cared for, but isolated from our cats because I'm paranoid about strange kitties getting my boys sick.

Municipal shelters don't charge to pick up strays; that's why they are there. Depending on where you live, humane societies and private shelters may not accept strays at all and deal only with owner-released animals. There may be a requirement in your area that you report finding the animal to animal control in case the owner is looking for it, but not necessarily that you bring it in right away.

Edit: changed "won't" to "may not" so it makes more sense.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 6, 2008

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lioness posted:

Actually the limited access private shelter where I worked only took in strays and did not take owner relinquishments at all. :confused:
Some cities contract with private shelters to provide their animal services instead of operating their own. I'm not a huge fan of this approach, since it's sort of like using the local rent-a-cops as your main police force. Do you also have a full-on city or county shelter there? I guess I should've said "depending on where you live, humane societies may not accept strays" since now that I'm rereading it sounds weird.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dubious Merit posted:

I have crappy skin, so I frequently put salicylic acid acne stuff on my face before I go to bed. I've noticed that when I do, I wake up to the cat vigorously licking my face. She doesn't wake me up like that when I don't put on the acne medicine, and she doesn't lick it off my face immediately - she waits until morning.

Am I marinating myself for her?

My funeral plan has always been for the cat to eat whatever parts of my body don't drip away into the mattress, but it's a little soon to start.

The big question will now be: if your acne clears up, is it the cream or the cat spit?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

talk show ghost posted:

What breed of cat is this? It's my friend's cat, and normally I am intensely allergic to cats but around his I seem to have no reaction unless I rub my nose in her belly. That could never happen though.

Kinda hard to tell from the angle, but with that face and coat I'd say Abyssinian.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

talk show ghost posted:

I'll try to take a better picture, she really has short brown hair with specks of black.

Yeah, definitely Aby or Aby mix. They have what's called "ticking" on their fur, and it's pretty much exclusive to the breed. Do a GIS for Abyssinian and see if anything matches.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cow Bell posted:

I would try this, but, unfortunately, the spot the kitten chose was directly beneath the head board of my bed. I've kept it out of my room for the day and just let it roam around the bottom portion of the house, and it's happily used the box to it's desire. However, I let him into my room again, and he beelined right for the same spot again. I couldn't stop him so I had to clean up another mess. Now I'm just confused.

Try getting a hold of some type of enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle, etc) and treating the spot with that so the smell doesn't attract him. If you had cats in the house before, it might have been a favorite napping spot and still smell like the old cat so he's marking there. And maybe in the meantime at least cover the spot with newspaper so if he decides to take another dump it will make cleanup easier.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Is Tuna bad for cats?

Are the big brand-name supermarket pet foods (Iams, Purina, Pedigree, etc.) really as bad as I hear they are?

Has anyone ever used the Furminator? I'm tempted to get one.

Have any Goons here successfully potty-trained their cats to use human toilets?

As an occasional treat, no

Iams is middling quality food (not premium like it's touted), "store brands" are generally crap

I haven't but there have been positive reviews of it in PI

Yes, there was a thread about it here not too long ago complete with pictures. I think search is still broken though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bengi66 posted:

I have had a dog about 8 months however it is still very badly behaved sometimes, especially if i open the front door and she manages to slip out. If this happens she will then run up and down streets going into peoples gardens etc, and i then find it very difficult to get her back (usualyl the only way is to walk down to the nearby field where i take her for a walk)

however wen i take her for a walk she always come back at the end of the walk and lets me put the lead on her.

my question is how can i stop her running around if she manages to escape?

Work on a recall command with her. Get a very long lead and let her run around a bit, then call her to you. Don't pull on it, just let her come in her own time. When she does come, praise her and give her a treat. Do this until she'll immediately come to you when called. If you can find a fenced area practice with her off lead until she will stop whatever she is doing and come to you when called, even in the face of distractions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RazorBunny posted:

Kittens seem to be stinkier than adult cats, and cats in general will have nasty urine if they're not well hydrated. Make sure he's getting plenty of liquids into him.

This is important. Most kittens at 4 weeks are still on a liquid-only diet (mom's milk). You said you have dry food, maybe mix in some warm water with a bit of KMR to make sure she's getting enough hydration. Also, I don't mean to frighten you, but make sure kitty hasn't peed somewhere unwanted, like on the rug. If she poo poo outside the box, she might piss as well and once cat urine has a chance to set it will be unpleasant and difficult to get the smell out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Women's Rights? posted:

So in regards to my wayward ktiten I posted about last week...finally got my hands on a trap. I'd been keeping him occupied outside of the building with good stinky kitten food so that he'd realize that outside the door = food. Trap is currently outside the office. The goddamn kitten is too little/smart to set off the stupid thing! :argh: I've watched him step over the plate to eat the food. How can I get him to actually step on the plate to catch his cute little rear end?

Make sure it's pushed as far back to the end past the plate as possible. If he can still reach it, use a smaller container. If this doesn't work, maybe try a small cardboard shield in front of the plate blocking off the food so he has to step on it to reach over the shield and get the food (or conversely make it floor-to-ceiling with a hole he has to stick his head through).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:woop: I still got game...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Women's Rights? posted:

I would but...well, and this is embarassing to admit, but when I was transferring him from the trap to the carrier, I had the car door open behind me and he ran out.

Tomorrow is another day though!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they usually won't go back in a trap once they've been caught. Now instead of associating it with food, they associate it with horrible frightening hairless monsters.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Women's Rights? posted:

RC (Random Cat) says you don't know what you're talking about :colbert:

My bad, I didn't realize you were hairy like a gorilla :haw:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

trufflepig posted:

What is the best product she can get to remove the smell? Are there any sprays or formulas that will soak all the way into whatever is under the carpet to neutralize the scent of the pee? Even if it's possibly been around for years?

efb but Nature's Miracle, Petzyme, or any other enzymatic cleaner you can get at Petsmart will do the trick. Saturate the carpet in the area and let it dry, you don't need or want to suck it back up with a carpet cleaner. Really hose the stuff down, it needs to penetrate down to the pad beneath. You can try the blacklight trick if it's cat pee to narrow down the area.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

dakana posted:

The question I have is one of civil rights. How much information did she have to give? Is there any time where you can just say "gently caress off" to unsubstantiated claims and withhold private information like your vet information, stables, home address, phone number, etc? That just seems like a gateway for harassment.

Depends, really. If the HS rep has law enforcement powers, then she's required to cooperate and give info. If they're just a private organization then she can tell them to take a flying gently caress and they can't do anything about it. However, to save time and annoyances down the road she's done alright to give her info to the rep, since now if anyone else complains they will have the whole story and can tell complainants they've looked into it and the horse is under a vet's care and gaining weight.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Again, it depends. Some areas have AC which is run by the municipality, and it's run by the police department or other division (we used to be under Human Services :wtc: and then got moved to being under Public Works :wtc: x2). In some places they have no government-run AC and the municipality contracts with a private HS to provide services like a shelter and animal pickup. Generally in these cases since the HS is acting on behalf of the governmental entity they still can write tickets, etc. Some areas like here have government AC and then private HS's that provide services to the public like adoption and spay/neuter, in addition to having an investigations department. However, the HS has no law enforcement powers and cannot write tickets or impound animals, if they find condtions to be bad then they contact AC for that stuff. In some places like NYC, they have AC run by the municipality, and then a separate, private HS with full police powers granted to them by the government (hello Animal Cops).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Is rabies vaccine necessary for a purely indoors cat?

Firstly, it may be required by law. Now we don't all always obey every law, but it can bite you in the rear end later when your cat bites someone in the rear end as Lioness pointed out.

Secondly, even though your cat is indoors and never goes out, there is still a risk of a rabies exposure should a bat get into your home. Bats can get into the teeniest spaces, and if you come home to find a bat in your house along with the cat, it will be assumed that your cat came into contact with it and then it's the 6-month vet quarantine or immediate euthanasia, neither of which are pleasant options.

A rabies shot is only 7 bucks around here, I can't imagine not having one since the peace of mind and safety of your pets is worth a lot more than that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

moron posted:

This has no doubt been asked here before, but....

Is there any harm in giving cats cheese once in a while? One of our cats in particular LOVES cheese, and occasionally we'll give her some. I'm talking perhaps once a week at most, and she only gets a tiny amount...a few little thin pieces which add up to less than the size of a 10p piece (or a quarter, if that makes it easier to visualise) in total. She's never shown any ill effects, but i've been told this can be bad for them....am I a terrible pet owner who's slowly killing his cat?

edit: what about a little bit of tuna every once in a while?? :-/

As long as it's done in small amounts, only occasionally, you shouldn't see any ill effects. This goes for almost any human-food treat like tuna, or sandwich meat. One of my cats is really loving weird, and likes to eat things like Pop-Tarts and cereal, and so she gets those once in a blue moon. I figure the cereal she likes (unsweetened stuff like Kix and Cheerios) is probably better for her than salt-filled commercial cat treats you'd get from the pet store.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Silly Hippie posted:

bad dog stuff

Cranberry juice works in people to help control bladder/UTI's. I don't think it's toxic to dogs. Maybe see if she can get some of that in him, either if he'll drink it outright or soak his food in it.

If worse comes to worse, anonymously report them to animal control. Sounds like they need a good rear end-kicking.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Berri posted:

When I petting my dogs or rubbing their stomachs, my dogs bare their teeth a little bit. When one of them really wants attention, they will come up to me, bare her teeth, and snort. What does this mean in doggy body language? I've only ever heard of teeth bearing in the context of "holy poo poo this dog's about to bite me".

Mo nailed it. I've seen dobies and pits do this most for some reason. Most people poo poo when a doberman "smiles" at them, same for a pit bull, but my friend's dog did this a lot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If your cat won't take the goo in a tube, try getting some fish oil and drizzling it on their food. Or, you can also buy tuna packed in oil and put that oil on the food. Most cats go nuts for it (you can have a sandwich out of the deal too).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Meow Cadet posted:

Durrr, speed dial! I feel so dumb.

If you have one of those "old people" phones with the giant buttons, they usually have the 3 emergency ones at the bottom. Unplug the phone and use it to train the dog with. A paw or nose wouldn't have too much trouble with giantfuckingbutton, and if they're all programmed 911 then you don't have to worry about the dog dialing Aunt Daisy or the proctologist.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drunkboxer posted:

[first PI post]

I grew up around a lot of cats and I've never seen this. My only cat Norman makes soup with his water before he drinks it, I guess. He picks up his food (both wet and dry, I feed him a mix of both) and drops it in his water. Then he licks at the food for a while and drinks the water. He never eats the soggy food he makes. I guess its not a big deal but its gross looking and a little weird. Have any of you seen this? Some mornings it's more like a hearty stew than a soup.

If he's not just being weird (very normal for cats :3: ), you may also want to check the condition of his teeth and gums. It could be that he has a sore or abcessed tooth, and by soaking his food he makes it easier to eat.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drunkboxer posted:

Just coming back in here to say you were right. A few days ago he stopped eating anything and it became obvious that something is wrong with his mouth. I took him in today and he's got some kind of infection, his gums are all inflamed.

Well, glad I could help :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smam posted:

death poo

It's been said, but this sounds like a food issue. If you feed him crappy store-brand food, then he will poop a lot and it will smell terrible. Even some "premium" foods (Science Diet, I'm looking at you) contain a lot of corn which doesn't digest. Check out the nutrition thread for some good suggestions. Other tip: don't switch his food quickly or you'll get runny stinky poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Helanna posted:

I haven't actually ever met an unfriendly Cocker Spaniel :D

You should get out more. 99% of the ones I've met have been little shits.

Now I hear Cavs are really mellow in spite of their silly looks, but I've never dealt with one in person. I've also never met a Clumber, which are also rumored to be very even-tempered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tse1618 posted:

How trainable are cats? I don't except to be able to enroll him in an obedience class and get him to sit, lie down, and roll over with clicker training, but just how much can cats do? I've gotten my kitty Puck to jump up and curl his paws around my wrists when I give him a treat, and jump up and wrap his paws around the edge of his food bowl before I give him breakfast and dinner. But this was easy enough, as he loves to eat and would start jumping up anyway if I didn't give him his food/treat quickly enough. What else can he learn to do?

Anything, really. I trained our cat growing up to sit, beg, lay down, and play dead. Cats don't train like dogs do. They don't have that inherent desire to please you. If the cat is food motivated the job is much easier.

Just like training a dog, you start with the command. Training the cat to sit, you put the treat right over his forehead and move it back until he sits. Repeat command, praise, give treat. If your cat doesn't mind being manhandled a bit, you can also push his bum down to give him an idea of what to do. Begging is pretty natural, just hold it up until he sits up. Laying down I did have to push the cat down into the position I wanted her in (I'd sort of heavily massage/pet her back so it wasn't too annoying). To play dead, I pointed my finger like a gun and touched her shoulder, then proceeded with the pushdown until she was laying on her side. None of these things took more than about an hour. In ease of teaching, it was beg, sit, lay down, play dead. I also used completely different sounding commands; beg was "beg nice," sit was just plain "sit," lay down was "please plop," (she was getting it confused with the beg command), and play dead was just "bang."

Some other things you could probably do fairly easily would be to get the cat to spin in a circle (just move the treat towards their tail and they'll spin around), or high five (keep the treat in a closed fist until the cat touches it with a paw). Shake might be difficult as most cats don't like their feet touched, but if yours doesn't mind, go for it.