Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Saerdna posted:

It has to be a vegetarian since I am

Just out of curiosity, why? Is it because you don't want stinky dog/cat food around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ms. Fabulosity! posted:

I was just thinking because he could see the improvement firsthand. I did this with a relatives dog and all they could do was rant and rave about how much better he looked/acted. But thanks for the answer.

Maybe you could just get some samples and then when the owner comes back say "I noticed you were feeding Iams. It's not terrible, but maybe give some of these a go and you'll be amazed at how much difference it makes." That way they're not shamed into thinking they're a terrible owner (Iams isn't wonderful but it beats the hell out of Ol' Roy) and they'll already have some examples of good food on hand to try out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yeet posted:

pee
Get your hands on some Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner. It will help to kill the smell. You may not be able to smell it but the cat still can.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Try the substitution method. Get some other treat or toy she really likes, and then when you go to take away the first, offer her the second. Do this any time she's got something she might be guarding. After a bit she'll get used to the concept that if you take something away from her it's not necessarily a bad thing. You might also want to use a command in there like "leave it" or "give" so she'll also surrender something to you, which is good when she finds a dead rat or garbage you don't want her eating. It might be that you startled her, or she just really liked the bone and didn't want to give it up. She might have had to fight over toys or treats in the shelter or at her previous home and it's made her possessive.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Anphear posted:

He's never been crated, ever. We live semi rurally and he basically has free roam around the property.

We could start crate training him. but we'd much rather have a dog that we can have chilling next to or in the pool with us.

Is there a particular kind of treat he likes? You could start giving him treats when you get into the pool, and he'll associate you going swimming with good things. Of course, you'd only want to give him treats when he's behaving, not freaking out. You could also try playing ball or some other kind of strenuous exercise before swimtime so he's more tired and less likely to spaz out, then use the treat option.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Women's Rights? posted:

What's the best way to get cat puke stains out of carpet? Professor had himself a time this weekend and I'm STILL finding spots of puke that I missed. It's leaving these yellowy brown stains everywhere that are crazy gross, but I've tried scrubbing them with vinegar/baking soda and the spots remain.

Nature's Miracle works great for puke, too. Soak and then blot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Do you free feed or are you giving her measured amounts? If it's the latter, try giving her just a small amount, then when she's finished that, wait a bit before giving her more. There's also the chance she has hairballs, next time she pukes up check it for cigar-looking things of hair. If that's present, get her on some canned pumpkin or some commercial hairball remover.

Otherwise, your cat's just a pig :) Our cat growing up would do this, but with only one particular flavor of cat food, so we had to take it away after a minute or two to prevent barfage.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Women's Rights? posted:

What the hell is wrong with my cat? I took him in on Monday because he'd been more pukey than normal last weekend (vomitting has stopped), and the vet and I discovered that he's lost 3 lbs in the past 9 months (was nearly 15 lbs in April '08 when I brought him in for vaccines, is now 11 lbs 12 ounces). So far everything on him has come back normal - vet listened to all the major organs and felt for any lumps where there shouldn't be and that was totally fine, they ran a CBC on him and everything there came within the perfectly normal range.

The vet said at this point he wants to wait a week for me to bring him back in to see if there's any changes in his weight, and then after that we'll go with either regular x-rays or barium to make sure everything is working okay in his digestive tract. If that doesn't come back with any results, then I don't know what the gently caress. Professor eats California Natural food with occassional Tempting Tidbits or Pit'R'Pat once a day as a nummy, and he's been eating, drinking, and using the litter box just fine. I haven't been trying to make him lose weight, and 3 lbs is an awful lot in less than a year. He wasn't even fat last year, because I remember specifically asking the vet if I should work on slimming him down and the vet said no, he's just a big guy, that's a perfectly healthy weight for him.

What's in the :barf:? Is it whole food chunks? Semi-digested? Hair? Nothing and it's just yellow spit? If it's whole food, he might be eating too fast. If it's semi digested, he might be sensitive to one of the ingredients in what you're giving him (foor OR treats). Hair's prety obvious, ratchet up the grooming schedule and give him hairball remedy or similar hairball relieving treatment. If it's just bile then hope your vet can figure out what the problem is.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

What are these pies posted:

ferret stuff

Try this method: ask your vet for a syringe, a 5ml is plenty big. You don't need the needle. Squeeze the doze into the top, then put the plunger in. Depress the plunger until the medicine is just about to come out. Run the syringe under medium-hot water, enough to warm it up a bit and make it more runny. Scruff little ferret-face, jam the tip of the syringe into the corner of her mouth, and jam the plunger down really fast. The medicine will squirt into the back of the throat where it'll be swallowed immediately. Takes all of about 3 seconds. I use this on my mother's cat who gets hairballs and won't eat the medicine and it works like a charm. Maybe follow up with a treat or something to encourage the goo to go down.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Do they make RealDolls for cats?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
He's probably getting overstimulated. Some cats do that. One second they're fine and the next CHOMP. It could partially be because he's younger and like most youngsters has some difficulty controlling his emotions. Pet him for a little bit, then leave him alone. Gradually work up the length of time until you notice him getting irritated or excited (ears back, swishing tail, etc) and then leave him be. Usually after a break of a few minutes they're fine and ready for more petting.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Elijya posted:

The post script to this is they were peeing on the bed :( Anyone got any tips for getting that smell off the mattress?

Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner is your friend. The downside is you need to saturate and wait for it to dry, but then again I wouldn't imagine you'd want to sleep on a wet pissy mattress anyway.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jadisan posted:

Random wildlife question -

My partner and I moved to a kinda rural bit of Oregon about a year ago. I put a hummingbird feeder out this spring and we have a nice little group of birds coming to it so I got a couple stake feeders to put in the yard. They're just glass globes on a stake, with a screw in rubber "flower", and the birds have taken to them well.

Last week he went out in the morning and one of the stake feeders was bent over and the globe was about four feet away in the grass. This was a bit loving weird, I had tried to get the globes out before and gave up. Nothing happened for a few nights, then it seems every night both feeders are getting raided. The tops are being unscrewed, so immediately we decided raccoons. Caught the little bastard about half an hour ago. He looks really healthy compared to the city raccoons I've known.

Anything we can do to discourage the theft without freaking the birds out? We probably just need to bring them in at dusk but would prefer not to. I dont mind the dude wandering the yard but I'm tired of rebending them.

tl,dr; I live in the boonies with a diabetic raccoon.
Have you considered landmines? :v: If the coon is bending the stakes, you could try something more solid that he can't bend. Or you could try a hanging feeder. I don't know if those "squirrel-proof" feeder poles would work with a raccoon, but that might be an option as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This is not a question, but I would just like to say gently caress you to my neighbors who got a new puppy and then have left him outside all day barking.

That is all.