Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
How often should a cat poop? I've lived around cats growing up but never was responsible, and now that I've adopted one I'm slightly concerned because he has only pooped in the litterbox 3 times in the last week. He's definately eating, but not a lot. Maybe 1/3 cup of premium dry food a day (natural balance chicken and something). He did have a hairball that he puked up earlier today, would that cause him to not digest things he eats until he pukes it up?

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Ok good to hear. When he has gone it has been firm and normal looking to me. And I posted that from work, I came home and played with him a bit and he went and did his thing so maybe that's just how often he goes. I've given him about a tablespoon of tuna twice in the last week, wetted down with about that much water because he wasn't drinking very much the first couple of days, and he tried to "bury" some wet food that I got him at the store (it was iams chicken flavor wet) so I just wanted to trick him into getting something to drink.

He's been acting normal outside of an occassional sneeze here and there, which I am keeping an eye/ear on. Here's two pics of Buddy for answering my questions :) :

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Yeah you can see it there on the right barely in the first picture. It's a freshflow, and he does drink from it now, it just took him a few days to get used to it. He still kinda plays with it to figure out how it works before he drinks, every time. It's funny to watch.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I have a little spray bottle. When I use it, I think it smells like the "no-scent" Oust type spray.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Adopted a cat 2 weeks ago, and he loves to be groomed/brushed. One thing that is strange is that, so far without fail, after 10-20 good brushstrokes, this cat acts like it must get up and go eat about 5 pieces of food. Then he comes back for more brushing. I've tried brushing him in rooms other than the one his food is kept in, and it doesn't make a difference.

He's not a fatty cat or anything, but this seems like a strange ritual and makes giving him a full brushing time consuming. Is this just a quirk of my cat or do other cats act like they have an overwhelming urge to eat when they get "too happy" from playing/grooming/etc. He loves to be brushed, can hear him purring from across the room.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

How much "eye gunk" is normal for a cat, and what color should it be to be 'normal'?

My cat is white and his skin is pink so it's pretty easy to see when it goes outside of his eye and is sticking to his fur. That's when I clean it off, and I'm cleaning it off of both of his eyes, by his nose once a day (using a qtip gently swabbed away from the eye, not into it, and warm water).

I've had him just over a month now and it's my first cat and he's had this eye gunk buildup daily since I got him. Normal for him, but does that sound normal overall?

He's about 10 years old and he might be allergic to something in my apartment because he sneezes a couple times after waking up and throughout the day a couple sneeze bursts as well. In case that might factor in.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I need to do a full apartment vacuuming, I know places like under the couch and behind desks are pretty dusty. I'll take him to the vet just to be sure, if after I clean the place real well the goopy eyes continue.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I took a couple pictures, many treats were sacrificed to bring you this information (about eye gunk). This is about what it looks like once a day. Yeah he looks pretty serious all the time too.

edit: just very thoroughly vacuumed my entire apartment, under and behind everything, if it's dust that was bothering him this should help a lot (I put off vacuuming whenever possible, I hate doing it)

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 29, 2008

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Can someone provide a link for me to the large rubbermaid containers that they use for "top entry" style litterboxes? I want to get one but would like to know the dimensions to see if it will fit in the current litterbox area.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

randomity posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's like this thing: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd150024

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately it looks like it's too big for the litterbox area I have in my apartment. :(

Ginger Ninja: you'd be surprised how little room cats really need, I have a pretty small apartment as well and have been thinking about getting a second cat and that very issue has crossed my mind. Then I remind myself that, at least at the no-kill shelter I go to, these cats are just fine in a 4x4 foot room with 3-5 other cats for sometimes months and my apartment is like a mansion compared to that. The only thing stopping me for now is litterbox space, I don't know if I'd have room for a second one anywhere and all the advice I read says the number litterboxes should be the number of cats + 1 so I'm already behind.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I've been having some issues with my cat attacking my hand/arm after I pet him.

The first time it happened I was in bed mostly asleep and he jumped up and started headbutting my hand (signal for pet my neck around the collar area) so I pet him half-asleep for a bit, then retract my hand to go back to sleep. He lunged at my hand and bit it, scratched it with his teeth but didn't break skin (no puncture just scratches). I made the "don't do that" noise that I make when he's up on counters he's not supposed to be on. Then I laid back down and as I was moving my arm under the pillow he lunged again, this time biting around my elbow, and he did break the skin that time and I had to clean up the (minor) wound. Made a KSSSSST noise at him again and he didn't attack my arm anymore that night. edit: I made the kssst noise right after he bit me, not after I cleaned up

Second and third and now fourth times it's been after petting him a little bit. He's not a lapcat so I pet him when he comes up to me and wants to be scratched (he headbutts my hand). Second and third times it was unexpected by me, but in hindsight he did get big pupils, wide open eyes and his ears went back shortly before he lunged at my arm.

The most recent time this happened was immediately after he headbutted my hand, and I started scratching his neck area. He was enjoying it one second then was biting into my arm the next.

I do not let him play with my hands, only found one toy that he likes to play with so far and I use that to get him some exercise and mental stimulation for at least 20 minutes at a time, usually twice a day.

I adopted him from a no kill shelter, he is 10 years old and is a pretty mellow cat except for this. He seems afraid of my hands if he's not aware that I'm about to pet him, so I've taken to sorta wiggling my fingers in front of him until he recognizes that I'm reaching my hand towards him. I don't know anything about his history, but if I had to guess, I think a previous owner made him afraid of hands.

How do I go about either correcting this or adapting to it? The bites don't hurt that much but him attacking my hand/arm randomly isn't something I want to continue.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 24, 2008

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

My girlfriend just got a cat a couple weeks ago and we're both still learning about cats. We're just starting to get him on a routine where he doesn't spaz out at our feet all night long, but now he likes to sleep by our heads, on our pillows. We both get allergies when he does this since we're breathing his dander all night, so what can we do to dissuade him from sleeping there? We have a pet bed for him that he just isn't all that attracted to that we'd like him to sleep on.

I have the same problem minus allergies. I just really hate cathair getting on my face when I'm sleeping.

I've tried pushing him off, "fake"rolling onto him to make him move, physically picking him up and putting him in the catbed within arms reach of the bed. He just hops back up and sleeps on the pillow I'm not using.

I've only "solved" it in the sense that I just use the same pillow all night, and he sleeps on the one I don't use. Not ideal but a compromise.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Dubious Merit posted:

It seems to be a standard cat thing, but what is the name for this behavior?

Spontaneous temporary insanity.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

FilthyWalrus posted:

cat :words:

Would you diagnose yourself over the internet and decide you have asthma, then let it go untreated (assuming you were correct?) without at least advice from a medical professional? Sort of a loaded question but the answer to it should decide your course of action.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

I realize this is something of a vague question, but can someone give me a good idea/breakdown of the costs of having a cat? Month-to-month costs as well as "startup" costs, if it's not too much trouble.

I want a kitty! :3:

Startup costs for me was around 100 dollars in supplies because I had nothing. I bought a litter scoop, litter tray, litter, breakaway collar, cat brush, food, some toys, a cardboard scratcher, food and water dishes (ceramic or metal not plastic), some treats (can get a free sample of feline greenies off their site!) and a small garbage can for what I scoop out of the litterbox. There was also the adoption fee, and a couple weeks after adopting I took him in to the vet for a general checkup. The checkup was like 35 bucks, adoption fee was 50 I think.

Month to month, with one older cat who doesn't eat very much (only like 1/3 cup of premium food a day) I'd say I go through about half of a 16 pound container of litter, and one 6.6 pound bag of food per month. That works out to around 20 bucks/month.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Helanna posted:

Possible UTI, emergency vets or good to wait til tomorrow?

Doesn't sound like an emergency to me. If both of you can stand it, put her in an 'easy to clean up' room with a litter tray and food/water overnight till vet appt, so she can't leave you any more surprises on your clothes or bedsheets.

edit: to be clear, get her to the vet, infections require antibiotics or whatever other treatments a vet would prescribe, just doesn't have to be OMG RIGHT NOW

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

MortarBored posted:

bird

Sometimes nature seems cruel to us. You gave him more of a chance than he would have had, if he stayed stuck in the garage.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Are hypo-allergenic, fragrance free baby wipes safe to use to clean my new cat's butt? He either isn't cleaning himself enough (it looks clean back there and I see him groom himself there) or something else is going on.

I saw pet wipes at petco but if baby wipes are safe they're much cheaper.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

KilGrey posted:

Is your cat long haired? Something I did with mine was trim around his butt and down his legs so there was less hair for it to get caught in. If it was bad he got a bath from the waste down.
He's a shorthair but does have a little bit longer hair around his butt for some reason. It does not look like it would get in the way of business, and it is all clean looking. I'd give him a bath but it took him about 3 days to get used to and stop running away from me (adopted him a week ago) and he's still really skittish. I'd hate to set back the progress he's made if it's not needed.

He still has diarhhea hopefully from making the adjustment to a premium food, the shelter just mixed up whatever has been donated. Hopefully this is all temporary or I'll have to rename him stinkbutt.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

How do I persuade a newly adopted young cat (~1 year old) not to dig so much in the litterbox? He digs for about 30 seconds prior to the act, then another 30 seconds afterwards. It's kicking up a ton of dust, and he's undoing all the work that the clumping litter is doing. It's also making a mess of the bathroom where I keep the litterboxes. He's very good about using the litterbox he just seems to have way too much fun digging for treasure and I don't want to make him afraid of or scared to use the litterbox.

Things which might reduce the mess but not really change the root of the problem:
- getting a covered litterbox (unknown if the cats would go for it, resident cat has used an uncovered one for the last year)
- changing to a less dusty litter, but afraid cats might decide they don't like it and not use the litterbox

As a result of all his digging, the litter gets all over the bathroom and on him, and when he's done digging around he leaps out of the litterbox, over all the tracking mats I have set out, and then runs full speed across the living room. This of course spreads litter all over the apartment and it's getting old vacuuming so much and still finding litter everywhere because of him. It was never a problem with the resident cat.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Lakshmi posted:

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but does anybody use anything like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751261#RatingsDetail

I was just wondering if you have to buy the replacement "refill odor barrier bags" every time you dump what's inside. I'm hoping you can just dump it every week or so, and then replace the bags every two months or so like it says. I'd only be using it for poop, since I don't use clumping litter. Anyone have any thoughts?

I just bought one of these, and in the instructions it shows that whenever you dump it (you can dump it as often as you like but it indicates how "full" it is by the tension in the winding mechanism) you just cut it with the enclosed bag cutter. Then you tie a knot in the new fresh opening and attach it to the winding mechanism and give it a half turn.

Basically, you can empty it as much as you want, but doing so wastes maybe a day's worth of bag.

edit: I bought it because I got a second cat and had to keep him in my bedroom for about a week till they got along. No matter what I tried I couldn't seem to seal any trashcans tight enough for a middle of the night scooping to leave till morning. This solved the stink issue immediately.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 17, 2008

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Lakshmi posted:

Alright, good. Because $10.99 for each refill bag is a lot if I have to buy them all the time. Otherwise it seems really convenient. Thanks!

It is setup in the directions for maximum stench eradication/disposal. If your litterboxes and litter bin area aren't required to remain stink free constantly you could stretch the use of the bags I think. Just fill the top part till it's "full" then turn the crank to seal it off.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Those of us with cats know that 'cat about to puke' huck huck huck sound, and one of my cats pukes about once a week.

However, my other cat makes a different noise for about 10 seconds once or twice a week and at first I thought he was trying to puke up a hairball but not succeeding but I'm not really sure.

When he does it, it looks really close to what the attached picture looks like (that's a random cat from image search. not my cat) , his head and neck will stretch out in front of him and he'll lower his head/neck/chest parallel to the ground and breathe out forcefully while maintaining that pose, for 10-30 seconds. He never actually pukes up anything though which is making me wonder if that's what he is even trying to do.

Hairball or something else, what do you think?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I'll make an appointment first thing monday, with that as the reason that I'm going (his posture/noise/frequency) and be sure it gets some attention, sounds like it has the potential to be serious.

edit: that picture of zeus is the pose he makes, but way closer to the ground, and he breathes out really hard a couple times (sometimes 8-10) and it sounds like it would if you or I breathed all of the air out of our lungs while making noise doing it, it tapers off at the end in like a wheeze/sigh

he's going to the vet no matter, but does that additional detail match up?

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 5, 2009

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

An update about my cat Orson who I couldn't tell if he was trying to puke up a hairball or possibly asthma or something:

I called the vet to make an appointment monday and they talked a little bit with me on the phone. The lady answering the phone said it sounded like he was just unproductively trying to cough up a hairball; she said she would have the vet call me so I could describe it to the vet to see if she thought an appointment was necessary.

It took two days before I talked to the vet on the phone, and I described how I've never seen him actually puke up (nor have I found remains of) a hairball, and 3-4 times a month he will get super low to the ground neck stretched out and it was sounding like he was pushing all the air out of his lungs.

The vet said she wasn't concerned, and that she was pretty sure it was just attempts at loosening or spitting up a hairball. She did say that if the sound he is making changes, or if the frequency increases to bring him in but what I described to her did not sound like a medical concern.

So, yay for sticky hairballs!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Petromalt? Vet suggested I give him anti-hairball treats or this stuff that comes in what looks like a deodorant stick, that the cats can lick and it has mineral oil(?) in it.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Worlds Best Grandma posted:

My cat Poop has had an unusual amount of "eye-boogers" ever since he was little. Is this most likely a drainage problem in one of his ducts? If so, is it harmful? He doesn't seem to mind it.

Same with one of my cats, in only one of his eyes. Ask the vet next time you go to be sure, but mine said it wasn't a big deal at all. I just wet a cotton ball with warm water and clean the eye boogers off when I notice them building up.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Scrotos posted:

I have a really skinny cat can anyone suggest an easy treat to fatten them up?

It is a kind of older cat and I asked the vet and he really said any treat, but I am nervous about feeding him just any random fat treat.

Maybe he doesn't like his food? Check out nutrition thread and get some sample bags till you find one he'll scarf down. Shouldn't take too long to find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

ChairmanMeow posted:

I have the drinkwell premium and the thing is huge, it probably holds like a big milkjug of water and it's very very heavy when full. I have 2 cats and have never had to refill mine, I wash it once a month and just fill it back up then.

Does that have the reservoir attachment? I have the normal Drinkwell fountain and it holds about 4 pint glasses' worth of water. Mine also starts to get a little dirty after 2 weeks so that's as long as I let it go before cleaning it out. In between cleanings I just dump a glass of water in every other day or so (one of my cats never drinks from fountain only from bathtub tap he's wierd).