Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
why is my dog panting so much?

there's always water in his bowl, he drinks, it's not that hot in my apartment (maybe it's hotter for him) but sometimes he'll just lay around and pant. he's a very svelte mini schnauzer, weighing about 11lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Do all guinea pigs seize to death? I've had three die (one very sick, one had no symptoms whatsoever, and the other had no symptoms but was 5 years old anyway...) and they all seized before taking their last breath. Can't they just go peacefully :(

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
quote is not edit :(

sorry, i'm distressed

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

alucinor posted:

I'm sorry for your loss, but no, this is very unnatural.

What kind of diet and preventative vetcare do your pigs get? Are you also getting preventative mite treatments? Untreated mites often lead to such pain that they cause seizures.

Next time you have a pig die, your vet can do a necropsy to determine the cause. If it's an environmental toxin or a chronic problem caused by diet (such as bladder stones), that will help you figure out how to prevent it from happening again.

No preventative mite treatments :( But that never would have occurred to me, since he didn't bite at himself often at all and he was not losing any hair. I feel like the most likely cause was that he may have gotten an infection in his foot; no matter how often I told my sister she needed to make sure the cage was well padded with towels and newspaper there was a thinner padding than I would have preferred and she didn't trim his nails often (her excuse was that he would bite).
The diet is timothy hay, timothy pellets and lots and lots of fruit and vegetables. There was a slight concern with Chester (the most recent death) not drinking very much but he still ate a lot of fruits and vegetables and so we just made sure they were good and wet with water before feeding him. He wasn't in my care for about a year leading up to his death but I got to see him every so often at my sister's and he seemed like he was in good hands.
He was five years old anyway so it's not like I wasn't anticipating his death, but my sister said that there was bedding all over the floor near his cage which made me think that he seized to death.

About a year ago my brother's guinea pig randomly seized to death. No symptoms whatsoever. He was only 3 years old. And then about three years ago a guinea pig of mine developed pneumonia and seized to death two weeks later. That was an especially painful one because of how sick he was for so long and he had finally seemed like he was doing better...