Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

An easy way to reduce the fun of toilet paper is to put it on backwards so that the paper dangle from the back, that way when the cat bats at it its rolling up rather than out.

Its hard to explain, but just trying putting the paper on backwards and roll it the way a cat would and see what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

On the topic of weaning from the crate - its the kind of thing that I wouldn't plan and count the days until its accomplished.

PI can be crate nazi's but there's both sides to consider. Thousand and thousands of dogs do fine inside the house without a crate. Many of them do fine their whole lives. Some of them get into something and cost their owners thousands of dollars or it costs them their lives (read several threads in the past year of suffocation risks). There is no one way, but I would personally say just wait until it really seems like a non issue.

One of the main benefits of a solid crateable dog is that they're good for emergencies and travel. Crate any time you have no fear that they're going to pitch a fit. On the lamb and have to stay in a not-pet friendly hotel? Crate magic.

Dog is sick and needs to rest from surgery in a crate? Crate magic - no stress when they're sick.

Emergency trip out of town and you can only get a dog walker? Crate that puppy, and say your sorry when you get back.

Have to babysit your aunt's cat and you need the dog confined? Have a friend over that's allergic or fearful? etc. etc. You want your dog crateable anytime without any reintroductory period.

Personally I have one dog I crate and one I don't. The one that isn't crated I crated from puppyhood to 2 years. I never had the goal of not crating her, but at some point after her 2nd birthday I started having these ridiculously short errands to run and the dog was off sleeping somewhere and I just didn't bother to call her downstairs to stick her in the crate. Over time it developed and I generally don't crate her unless I have a reason.

She occaisionlly gets a bout of the runs and its easier for me to clean up her and the crate than the places she would spread it all over the house. I was doing a delicate craft project for the past few weekends and she's just too clumsy so I crated her so I wouldn't have to kill her when she destroyed it. I was having a party the other weekend and everyone was all dressed up and I crated her so we wouldn't be brushing dog hair off ourselves the whole time.

So now, I could crate her anytime I needed to but I often don't and I think that's the best anyone should shoot for. I really wouldn't expect an adolescent of any kind to not gently caress something up every once and a while, but with regular crating I'm proud to say I have literally never once cleaned up a mess created by a dog outside of maybe 3 explosive horrible diarrhea episodes outside the crate in my 2 and a half years owning a working/showing line GSD, and that's pretty drat good. If you're compelling to risk your possessions and your dog by pushing it early you're welcome to give it a shot.