Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I have a kind of off the wall question. I was talking to my boyfriend and an old memory came up and I'm wondering if this is even possible or if I'm remembering it wrong. One of my friends growing up had a hamster, one day she want to check on her and all was not well. She had chewed a giant hole in her stomach and essentially eaten herself to death. Can they do this? Do they do this?

If anyone has any little questions that they feel don't deserve a thread of their own, feel free to drop it in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Ooh, I have no clue, but it's really cute. Sorry.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Unagi posted:

That is very odd, while it's not impossible, I doubt that was the real case. A lot of little animals get tumors or abscesses from small infected cuts. With many rats who have tumors, it's not uncommon for the rat to eat it's own tumor off, and then die from blood loss. It's very gross, but they basically cut themselves open, and rip it out. I think that this is possible with hamsters as well. It's possible that your friend's hamster had an abscess or tumor and chewed at it, then died from blood loss.

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, I didn't think animals were capable of suicide. Thank you.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

wannabenomad posted:

-I'm pregnant. (can dogs sense that?)

I don't know how to stop the bathroom behavior unfortunately, but I do know that one day our German Shepard kept laying his head down on my mom's stomach and suddenly got VERY protective of her. 8 months later I popped out. So he knew before she did. I think there's definitely something to that, I think they can smell the hormones or something. He continued to lay his head on her stomach every chance he got through the whole pregnancy.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Farewell Horizon posted:

Question:

Hektor, my Siberian kitten, has been shedding an awful lot lately. Like, chunks at a time. The problem with this is that its goddamn minus 30 out already, so you'd think he'd be hoarding his fur. This only started about two weeks ago. We started noticing great wads of white fur on the blinds, or the area rug.

While I'm not sure this is entirely related, his breath is AWFUL, even for a cat. He is about 10 months old now and his gums appear a bit red and inflammed, but the smell could kill a full grown man from close up. He was napping in the crook of my arm this afternoon and yawned, and I cringed as the scent hit me from more than a foot away. What is going on here?

This happened to a very lovely cat that my friend had, it turned out that he was having kidney failure from another infection. You should really take your cat to the vet and have him looked at. Also, he had some ulcers in his mouth from the crap that his kidney's were spilling out, so please, if you don't think he needs a vet, watch him very closely.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I'm definitely no expert on this, but I would say that if it isn't escalating into anything then it should be fine. This is how we've always been with our dogs. Just make very sure that the dog knows what is okay and what isn't.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I was under the impression that Bengals are illegal, was I mistaken? I mean, I guess if the vet saw it then it isn't, but do you need a permit to own one?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Maximusi posted:

not a bengal tiger, lol. A bengal domestic cat. It's a cross between a domestic kitty and an Asian Leopard. They're legal.

Haha, well I know that! Why would anyone in their right mind keep a tiger as a pet? I just thought they were an exotic. I think I got Bengal mixed up with Ocelot.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
My cats like to make that sound right before they puke. So maybe your cat puked and just swallowed it back down again?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

ThirstyGirl posted:

Why does my dog shoot clear liquid out of his butthole when he barks? It's so gross.

Ew, good question, um... could he be shooting anal gland fluid by any chance. That's my best guess.

Edit: drat, I need to reload pages before I respond to them.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but when my cats get the "zoomies" we call it the barneys, it's the Bermuda way of saying retard. For instance, "Wow, Kitty has a serious case of the Barneys." This mostly comes from the fact that she tends to either get stuck to things with her claws, or run into walls.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Yarrbossa posted:

I've read about cats urinating places, but what about repeated defecating?

We have 3 cats. We've gotten two decent sized litter boxes and keep them relatively clean, and in the past month or two, one of our cats(haven't gotten it pinpointed, but we have a good idea which one) keeps running off to the back corner of the basement under one of our shelves and making GBS threads. We've made sure the cat box is clean, and the culprit still does it.

I recently moved one of the cat boxes under the shelf, and the cat just poo poo next to it. What is going on? We haven't changed litter or anything of that sort. Any suggestions on how to get my cat to keep using the litter box all the time? It's getting tedious cleaning the cat box and running around trying to find all the extra piles of poo poo.

I'm not sure if it could be a sign for something but I do know that you don't have enough litter boxes, I think the rule of thumb is one for every cat plus one extra. So you could try buying two more litter boxes and see if that helps at all.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Sometimes they'll clip the ear, or take a circle out of it (hole punch style), sometimes they'll tattoo the ear, it's pretty common from what I hear.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I don't know about the Coatimundi, but I'm almost positive that it is very illegal to sell Kinkajous in the U.S. I would bet the Coatimundi is illegal too, but I'm not sure on that.

Edit: After looking, it looks like Kinkajous may be allowed with a permit, but I'm not sure. You could probably call animal control, or someone like that and ask them. I'm assuming they would know.

Olive Bar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 26, 2008

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Hmm, if I were in your position I would call the e-vet to see what they think, and if they don't think it's important enough to be seen tonight then make a vet appointment for the next day. But the refusing food part would worry me, so I would definitely give them a call.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Plus, keep in mind, cats can go downhill VERY quickly, and can be extremely hard to nurse back to health, if it is something like renal failure or diabetes, you really need to get him into the vet. I would definitely try to move up his appointment.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Okay, I may be crazy, but my boyfriend saw this too, and was actually the one who pointed it out to me. But yeah, if I'm crazy feel free to let me know.

I was at my friend's house and they have two wonderful dogs(or so I thought), both mutts mixed with some amount of german shepherd. We were hanging out in the back yard and everyone went inside but me. All of a sudden the hair stands up on the back of my neck and I start freaking out, I couldn't figure out why, and I started looking for the dogs. In the past, dogs have usually protected me, small girl, not very threatening and all that, they usually love me, especially big ones. Right then my boyfriend comes out and freezes in place, he looks at me and starts telling me to move towards him slowly, so I do. Well it turn out the one of the dogs was sneaking up behind me while the other was distracting me from the side. They were freaking stalking me! Now, these are pretty big dogs, so I of course went right inside and started asking the owners if they had ever done something like that before. No. They hadn't.

So I just pushed it out of my mind as me being overly paranoid, until I went back again. Once again, I went outside alone (no smoking in the house) and I notice that one of them is slowly walking up to me in the front, so I turn around and sure enough, there's the other one sneaking up from behind me, so I freak the gently caress out and run into the house.

My boyfriend thinks they may have been doing this because I am very sick all of the time, I have several chronic conditions and he thinks they can smell the sickness on me. So as pack animals I guess it would make sense for them to want to attack me, but nothing like that has every happened to me before, it was very frightening, and their movements were VERY threatening.

So tell me, am I crazy? Were they just playing? Can they smell sickness? I'm just wondering if this is something I'll have to worry about in the future when I get my own dogs. Also, they are fine with me when other people are around, and during the day, they only do this at night when I'm alone, if that makes a difference.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Helanna posted:

I've never seen dogs behave like that :3: I'd definitely be cautious around them since they sound like they were freaked out over something at least. It could be something as simple as your perfume maybe.

Hmm, I don't know, I don't wear perfume but yeah, it just really freaked me out. I'm on the top of the food chain dammit, I don't like being hunted. But I refuse to be alone with those dogs anymore. There is always someone with me there now.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Seventeen-Five posted:

I adopted a kitten 5 weeks ago, and I am just curious as to how neccesary shots are? She is and will always be indoors, so I'm not really sure if I can justify the money. I plan on getting her a rabies shot for my own saftey, but beyond that I am sceptical, to say the least.

I would say definitely get her shots. If she somehow escapes one day as cats tend to do sometimes, you'll want to know when you find her that she doesn't have FIV or something like that. Also, if you ever need to board her for some reason, you won't be able to unless she has all of her shots.

Edit: Must remember to refresh pages before I post :[

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Skinote posted:

I've had her for about 5 weeks now, and was attempting to feed her about every 14 days. Usually for one or two days in a row once that larger time period had passed. So you recommend just holding out and sticking with F/T until she comes around? As of this post, she hasn't eaten for about a month.

If I'm not mistaken most snakes if healthy and fully grown can go 6 months without eating. My cornsnake once went off of her food for about 5-6 months and she was fine, started eating again out of the blue like nothing had happened. (Yes, she was taken to the vet quite a few times, no worries, I wasn't neglecting her.)

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I don't see any reason why a shelter would have an issue with that at all, in fact I'm sure they'd be thrilled to find a good home for a disabled cat. And let me just say, I (he's actually my dad's, but I love him too dammit) have a cat with CH actually, and he is the most awesome cat I could ever have, I'd say he's just as awesome as my Siamese. He just moves funny, has a cute retard meow, can't jump, and tends to throw his head around a bit.

Olive Bar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 28, 2009

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
The invert thread is kind of dead so I figured I might ask this here: I am working on keeping my G. portentosa colony in check and I was wondering if I put all of the males in their own tank will they murder each other? If not, how many could I keep in say, a ten gallon tank? I don't mind if they are noisy, I just don't want them to destroy each other!

EDIT: Answer found! (They won't kill each other)

Olive Bar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 16, 2011

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
One of my cats is super easily spooked. Trash bag on the floor across the room? Gonna die. Shifting mail on the table? Gonna die. Sit up from the couch? Gonna die. Pour the food into her bowl too fast? Gonna die. There's nothing wrong with her, she's just super jumpy. She won't even walk on black surfaces because I assume she doesn't know there is floor there. When we redid my floor she REFUSED to walk over the black laminate and would just stand there crying pitifully until someone carried her over it. Other than that she's lovey and the princess of the house! Just a bit paranoid.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
My guess is your cat is tarding out. My cats do something very similar on our clothes.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I'd heard over the years that micro-chipping does not work, as different vets use different micro-chipping systems. Finally putting some effort into reading, I found mostly good things.

So was wondering what the PI experts have to say. Yay or nay for getting your dog chipped?

A while ago I was at the store and saw a cat that looked awfully lost to have been a stray. When I went over it came right up to me and sat on my lap (and refused to get off), at this point I was sure it was someone's pet so I took him home and quarantined him. In the morning I went to my local vet and asked them to scan for a chip, he was in fact chipped and I placed him back in his very concerned owner's hands an hour later. Chips work.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Yes, it's fine for her to pant after running around as long as it doesn't go on forever after, and if you're concerned about the laser pointer obsession, a good thing to do is at the end, point the laser at a treat so she can "catch" it. Everybody wins!

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I'm not sure when a thread is too long to keep alive, but if this one is anyone is more than welcome to put together a nice question OP and start a new one.

As far a cats with cerebral hypoplasia, I have one, and he is amazing. He can't jump, and sometimes he just kind of falls over, and if you try to have him track something he just kind of throws his head all over the place, but he is the sweetest, derpiest cat ever (and also in no pain whatsoever). I'd also like to add that his "battle face" is AMAZING, unfortunately this must be seen in action though.

Olive Bar fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 21, 2011

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Oh jeez, I should know so much better, it is cerebellar and not cerebral, my bad.

Grooming question: Fatty is getting up there a bit and has always been extremely lazy and is having some grooming issues, what is a good brush for cats that will help with matting issues?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Braki posted:

Furminators and similar brushes work well in my experience. Anything that has those really fine combs that get out a lot of fur. Also, putting him on a weight loss regimen (I assume Fatty is self-descriptive?) would help him groom himself.

For his overall length he is actually only a touch overweight, but extremely dopey. He has no coordination at all, he can't even jump (no worries, vet has been consulted). However, he is a freaking black hole for food (hence the name), it seems like for the last decade all he has done is eat, it's quite impressive really. As much as I call them my cats they are really my dad's, and he insists on feeding crappy food because "there is no difference except the price." And any challenge to this is not met very nicely on his part. I'm sure his coat would be a lot better off with just a food change, but any time he tries to groom his lower back he just kind of rolls over and misses due to his dopiness. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

click click posted:

Nope, my cat's an American short hair. Still trying to figure out a cure for poopy butt. Maybe I should like take a wet paper towel sneak up and poke the poopy butt with it?

Maybe try the burrito method? Burrito cat > wipe butt.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
See, that's why rats are better, jaw lockdown at level 5. Psh, your baby eater has nothing on my herd of angry rats.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Without getting too much into it, I have definitely dealt with that. The only thing that I found works is therapy, even then I still have nightmares about it. Good luck, and I'm sorry your parents suck. Just remember that you were a little kid, there's nothing you could have done at the time, and you can't change what happened. My advice is to just love your pets extra, that's what I do. It helps.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Double post because my phone sucks. I'll be getting my internet hooked back up in the next week or two, would it be a good idea to start a new thread? I see a lot of the same questions popping up. I'd like to make a new OP that addresses these questions. I'm not even sure if that's allowed.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I find if there is any concern at all there is no reason to not call the vet. My vet is more than happy to answer any questions I call with, no matter how stupid. The first time one of my rats had the hiccups I thought it was dying, and I'm sure my vet laughed after taking my call, but the reassurance that my animal was fine made the call worth it. Never hesitate to call your vet with questions!

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
What is the difference between a ground squirrel and a chipmunk, they look the same to me is it just a regional thing?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Not too much information at all! Thank you for the fantastic answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
My personal rule is the first time is an accident, the second time makes me suspicious, and the third time gets a vet visit for peeing in bad places.