Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

I have a smallish problem: I have two dogs and two cats and I normally use Frontline Plus for flea control. I live in Florida, so we have fleas year round. Anyway, this month I applied the Frontline as usual, but it didn't seem to do anything. On the 10th day after I used it, both cats have fleas and the dogs are itchy. It seems like there are more fleas on the cats than the dogs. Has anyone else had this sort of problem?

The Frontline came from 1-800PetMeds, but it looks totally legit and I've never had an issue with it before. Should I apply another dose to the cats? Or should I just switch to something else? Either way, it's going to be expensive with four animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Thanks for the advice!

I checked the packaging and the product's not ready to expire. Also, it is quite a bit cheaper than the prices at my vet. But, I will buy from them in the future and just pay more for a product that (hopefully) works.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Fire belly newts. Always loved them as a kid, and I ended up with 5 recently (well, I snuck them away from some well-being but totally idiotic fuckers who were going to let them sit in a fish tank, full water, etc, until the poor things died). I currently have them in a 10 gallon tank with about 3 gallons of dechlor'd water, lots of rocks, and an air stone. Water changes every two or three days. They did -not- like the filter I had on (the smallest AquaClear money can buy), so I don't know what else to filter the water with other than constant water changes.

They're pigging the hell out every day, so with what I know of herps and fish (never really had amphibians before), that means all is well with them. What else can I do for these once intended fish foods to make sure they live happy long lives?

It sounds like you're doing good so far. The main thing to remember about FB newts is that they're excellent escape artists. You're going to need a secure lid on that tank, with no potential newt-escape holes. Make sure they have a 'land area' that they can haul out on. They also generally like it cool, so watch out for water temps higher than 72F or so. As far as keeping the water cleaned, many species occur naturally in still water, so will hate filtration. Some species can tolerate it - depends on what type of newts you have.

Check out https://www.caudata.org for specific care sheets. The site's sometimes down (like right now), but they have quite a bit of really useful information. You'll also be able to tell whether you have Chinese firebellies, paddletail newts, or Japanese firebellies.

Also, check out the herp megathread in this forum for more newt talk.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

I'm about to go on a backpacking trip with my dog and a friend who is very allergic to dogs. I'm renting a car to minimize her allergies (mine is infested with dog hair), but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to help her out.

Would giving the dog a bath right before we go help out someone who's allergic to dog dander? Any other suggestions?

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

maplecheese posted:

allergy advice

Thanks for that!

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

FLEAS!!!! :(

I'm having a problem with out of control fleas right now and was wondering if anyone had any tricks I may not have thought of. Some background: Our two dogs are indoor/outdoor - they stay out during the day while we're at work, but live inside when we're home - and are currently on Frontline Plus. Our two cats are indoor only and they're on Advantage Multi. Even with dosing slightly more than once a month and not too many (or no bathing), the fleas are still everywhere. It's very frustrating.

My vet is really no help. His only advice is to spray the yard, which I really can't do because of the yard (one acre jungle - much of it isn't even accessible) and our living situation (we share the house with two other tenants who are anti-chemical). So, is there anything I can do inside to stop the fleas that get in from, well... living? We have hardwood floors with only a few non-plush rugs, and most of the fleas seem to be on the pets :(

Help? :ohdear:

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

maso posted:

fleabusters + capstar = success

What's 'fleabusters'? We did Capstar, but the fleas just came right back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Does fleabusters powder work on hardwood floors? Does it just go in the cracks? It might work if it'll stick around, but I think the fleas are just coming in from the outside.