Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pointillism
Jun 29, 2005

A thousand points of light.
I've scheduled an appointment for tommorow at the vet so this question is going to be more for satisfying my own curiosity.

For the past couple of weeks, my cat has been sneezing a bit and - somewhat more alarmingly - there have been a few times when, for a couple of seconds, she will pretty much take a bunch of shallow, rapid breaths that sound incredibly phlegmy. Sounds like she's got another upper respritory infection yet apart from these two symptoms, she was as normal as could be - the same extremely active, vocal, ravenous eater as always. I figured, I'll give some time for things to work themselves out.
Of course, I grew more concerned when it appeared that she was beginning to shed - I'd pet her and there would be a nice collection of hair at the end of the pet (but nothing major, no huge clumps of fur missing) which seemed a bit odd given that it's wintertime. After I found a strand of mucous coming from her eye (today) I decided that it was only getting worse.

This is just a standard URI right? If so, I guess there is a chance that my other cat has caught the bug as well (he has been eating a bit less but there are absolutely no other signs). Are there any preemptive measures I can take to keep him healthy (apart from seperating the two - though they had not been seperated for all this time until now).

edit: one other thing. In the next couple of days, the apartment complex is going to have its fire alarms tested meaning plenty of extremely loud beeps to freak the hell out of my cats. Is there anything I can do to make the experience somewhat less traumatic for them? (they did surprisingly well during a minor earthquake a month or so ago) Is there any chance they will have some sort of hearing damage from this?

Pointillism fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pointillism
Jun 29, 2005

A thousand points of light.
At what point should I be concerned about catfights? For most of the day, my two cats (both about 1.5 years old, one male one female) are pretty well behaved - as well behaved as a sleeping cat can be. While I know cats are going to go crazy at night, I do start worrying when their normal jabbing at each other escalates into a full on, rolling on the floor type fight.

So far, the worst that has happened is that one cat will end up with a mouthful of fur - one cat has rather long hair and as it warms up, he is going to shed, but how worried should I be? They don't hiss at each other or do show much rage at each other apart from tail swishing but I am a bit concerned - especially about how the male is coping since it is usually the girl - who is already a bit more rambunctious - that gets things started.