Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
Would it be possible for my 2 1/2 year old dog to have arthritis? He's a mix of lots of breeds and he's built very oddly...big strong body and long, skinny, weak legs. Ever since he was a puppy, he'd have these episodes where he'd wake up with a limp, sometimes it would last several hours, sometimes a day or two.

We've taken him to the vet at least 4 times for this and each time the x-ray shows nothing and they send us home with some pain meds, saying he probably just stepped down wrong or strained something.

Anyway, he's having another limping episode right now and this one has lasted about two days. He looks like he's walking with a peg leg and I've noticed that it's definitely worse in the morning which I've seen is one of the symptoms of arthritis. I won't be able to get him to the vet until the day after Christmas, but I was just wondering if arthritis would even be a possibility at his age and if so what the treatment would be. He's so very young. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

Need some advice...we adopted a puppy 2 weeks ago; she is now just under 3 and a half months old. She received her second set of whatever appropriate vaccinations at the shelter the day we got her, but they said she was too young yet for a rabies shot.

Anyway, I let her and my dog Murphy out to use the bathroom this afternoon and she killed a loving squirrel. I'm positive it was her, as Murphy has never killed so much as a bug in his three years. She doesn't look as if she was injured by it but she has super thick black fur so it's hard to tell for sure. They were only out there for 5 minutes; I can't believe she was that fast.

I'm just wondering how worried I should be about her contracting rabies or some other disease...the vet's office was already closed but I do plan on calling them first thing in the morning.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

Why does my dog shoot clear liquid out of his butthole when he barks? It's so gross.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

I was looking around Craigslist this morning and came across this post http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wan/864883671.html

quote:

Help Our Puppies

Reply to: sale-864883671@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-10-03, 12:03PM EDT

http://www.babydoxies.com/donate.html

All donations are appreciated. It doesn't have to be monetary, any of the items listed are also appreciated for donation!

After clicking on the link, you'll see that it's a BREEDER, and a very irresponsible one at that! Giving away their pups at 6 weeks old for one thing.

Now, I don't know much about breeding, but I really want to email this lady and give her a piece of my mind. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this "CKC" where the dogs are registered-I've never even heard of it. And they have a dachshund with one blue eye and one green eye and they want to breed her? :confused:

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

Looking for advice/reassurance/etc. even though this may just be a judgment call...we are going out of town for 5 days on Wednesday and our usual house/dog sitter just canceled on us. We have two lab mixes (one 10 months old, one 3 years old). It's looking like we may only have two options, and one of them is boarding the dogs at the vet.

I may be anthropomorphizing(?) Murphy somewhat, but I'm afraid he won't be able to handle being boarded. He doesn't mind going to the vet for a checkup, but he's a very skittish and sensitive dog. He mourns for days when I leave him, and I'm worried boarding him will make it worse...I feel like he'll think I've abandoned him or taken him back to the shelter or something, and I'm afraid we'll come back and he will never be the same. I want to cry every time I think about it. :( Am I being too sensitive myself?

The other option would be for them to stay at my parents' house, which will be empty. They'll have a doggy door, a hall/laundry room area indoors and a large backyard to run in, and my brother will come by and feed them each day-but they will be alone for 23 hours a day and even though they spend tons of time there visiting, I worry that something might happen to them.

I guess I am probably being an over-protective mom here, but I'm just unsure of what to do. Does anyone else here board their dogs when they go away? Have they ever had a bad experience? Did they forgive you for leaving them? I apologize for my silliness. :)

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

My friend adopted this little girl last weekend. She's about 10 weeks. Any ideas on what breeds she might be?

Oh, and if you can't tell from the picture, her eyes are green.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

G0d0t posted:

I don't know where to post this, and I didn't want to start a new thread.

My 4 year old cat Schrodinger just died today. Suddenly, out of the blue. He had a heart murmur.

Goodbye Big Fat Kitty, I'll miss you forever.

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

After reading the last page about buying Frontline on petco.com I went to check it out and I see that there is a section called 'wormers'. Are these the same kind of thing as the Heartgard that I get from my vet and give to my dogs every month? Or are they just used to treat dogs that already have worms, and I should keep buying the pills from my vet? And does everyone here use a worm preventative every month?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

I recently switched my dogs to Royal Canin. They had been staying at my parents house for a month eating Purina One (:() and before that were eating Nature's Recipe. I've heard that switching to a super high-quality food can cause some digestive issues at first as their system adjusts, but it's been 8 days now and one of the dogs is still having diarrhea. Could this still be her adjusting or should I accept that Royal Canin just doesn't agree with her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

Unfortunately, I didn't mix foods. I guess I should have bought a small bag of Purina One to go along with it. So, it's been 8 days of nothing but Royal Canin.