Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

sam.freak posted:

I've got a cat that's all black with a layer of white fur underneath.

How rare is that? She's been neutered so I don't intend her to breed or anything like that, I'd just like to know more about this since neither I nor anyone that's met my cat have seen something like that.

Oh my god I thought I was the only one with a cat like that! Poko has fur exactly like that. He looks black when you see him, but when he moves you can see the white fur underneath. I get mad because everyone assumes that he's bald in the pictures I take...he's not bald dammit! That's just white fur.

I don't know how rare it is, but you are the only other person I've known to have a cat with fur like that. So you and your girl are not alone.

Does Kooky shed grey? Poko does. He leaves this halo of grey fur wherever he lingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Rin used to be an aloof sort of kitty. She was sweet and she liked getting petted and stuff, but her attitude was always "pet me or not, whatever." She was fairly independant up until about the past two weeks when all of a sudden she's become a huge clingy mess. She has to be in my lap all the time, if I'm in the bedroom and she's in the living room she cries and cries until I come get her. She stands on my pillow at night and whines until I snuggle her.

There's two other cats in the apartment, so it's not like she's lonely. She gets along very well with her brother Professor, and doesn't mind Poko at all. The only major change that's gone down in the past 2 weeks has been a food upgrade - they used to be on Science Diet, now they're on Nutro Balance. I can't think of any big trauma that would've caused such a drastic switch in personality. I don't think she's sick or anything (eating, drinking, playing, using the litter box are all normal), and while I don't really mind her being such a huge mama's girl I just want to know if I should have her looked at or not.

Franziska Von Karma posted:

Does anybody have any tips to try to get the cat more adjusted to people (i.e., me)?

Next time you see him eating, just hang out close by. Don't approach him and don't force it or anything. Gradually get closer and closer. Try to reach out and pet him while he's eating. If that's too much for him, maybe take a towel and rub it on yourself or your mom, then set it close to the food bowl so that he can get used to your scent and associated with good things like food.

Also be careful about just leaving food out like that. We used to do that for a stray in our neighborhood when I was a kid, but it attracted raccoons who very much enjoyed the food. They got into a fight with our real cats and poor Tommy had his cheek torn to poo poo by them. Raccoons like cat food and they don't like competition.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Rin's been driving me up the drat wall recently. She's just really bored around the house, and because Professor has turned into a lazy piece of poo poo and Poko doesn't play anyways, she's forced to entertain herself. And by entertaining herself I mean demanding attention 24/7, clawing at the furniture/my bed/the carpet, jumping up where she knows she's not supposed to go, etc. I try to play with her more, she gets 30 minutes of hardcore laser pointer playtime split into chunks throughout the day (Professor gets in on this too because it gets his fat rear end some exercise), I try to give her as much attention as I possibly can, but it doesn't seem to help at all.

She has a variety of cat toys...feathery dangly things, cat trees, jingly balls, this ball spinny thing. She likes them, sure, but she gets bored with them easily. Right now I've been keeping her entertained with a toothpaste cap in the bathtub (it's apparently the absolute funnest thing ever), but she'll get bored with that soon enough. Help me keep this cat entertained!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Kitten Kisses posted:

How long does it take approximately for a lion cut to grow back out? We finally gave up on trying to keep one of our elderly kitties mat free and just shaved it all off tonight. It was our first try at cat shaving, and despite all his squirming the only thing hurt was his pride. He seems pretty happy about it now, but I'm curious as to how long a wait I have before I can stop laughing every time he walks into the room.

It takes my brother's persian about 2 months until you can't really tell she has a lion's cut, and then about 4 months until she's back to where she was before she got cut in the first part. Lacey loves it though, she prances about like the prettiest girl in the whole wide world and it's cheap entertainment because a cat with a lion's cut is hysterical looking.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I have to give my kitty Rin eye drops, as she has a little infection. I'm trying to do it in a way that stresses her out as little as possible, but I'm obviously doing something wrong as she hates me now and is hiding all the time. My current routine is:
1. Wrap Rin in a towel because she's not shy with her claws and I like my skin intact thank you.
2. Place her in the bathroom sink so I don't have to bend over too much.
3. Squeeze out some of the medicine from the tube.
4. Hold her eye open and very very gently squeeze it in.

I think I'm doing it right but she's just so upset about the whole thing and I have to do this 3-4 times a day. Is there a better/easier way that I can give her her eye meds, or will I just have to accept the fact that she's going to totally hate me for awhile?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

DJExile posted:

I came the Oprah thread and figured I wouldn't derail it. Always kind of wondered, what exactly defines (and differentiates, if anything) a "puppy mill" and a "backyard breeder"?

All I know is both are pretty drat sick.

A Puppy Mill is a place designed to breed as many dogs as they can as quickly as they can. Quality be damned, it's quantity they're after. The dogs are kept in horrific conditions, inbreeding is prevelant, and they ship the puppies out as quickly as they can to avoid anyone noticing how sickly the dogs are. These bastards don't give half a poo poo about the dogs and cut every corner that they can, from food to pens.

Backyard Breeders are the people who go "OMG my labradoodle is so cute let's breed him to your peekapoo and we'll have labapoopeedoodles!" They pay no attention to genetics, breed confirmations, or any sort of standards. They breed their dogs frequently with the full intention of selling off the pups. These are the people who promote "hybrid vigor" like it's an actual thing. These people aren't AS bad as puppy mills, but they're very misguided and are in it to make money as opposed to trying to better the breed.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Okay so I was completely not paying attention while I was painting today and walked off to go make myself some dinner. When I came back to put away the paints and toss the rinse water, I found my kitty Professor headfirst in the cup drinking the brush rinse water. I estimate he drank about a quarter of the water that was in the cup before I caught him and shooed him off.

He's acting fine, and I'm watching him closely, but should I be really concerned about this? There was definitely paint in the cup, but it was watered down. It's model paint if that makes a difference, I don't know.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

drat Bananas posted:

After more googling, this number is apparently 24/7 and free: 1.785.532.5679 but it warns you "Be patient. The person answering the phone may have to take a few minutes to consult the vet on duty."

Thanks for this, I called them up and apparently the brand of paint he drank is considered non-toxic for people and (probably) animals. So long as he's eating fine and not showing any symptoms I should consider him a-okay, though he might have multicolored poo for a few days.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Regnevelc posted:

My puppy has a green snot looking substance that comes out the side of his eye. It has gotten a bit worse, where I can tell that it is there and not when I look hard for it. It just started doing that today, what could it be, and is it something I should go to the vet for?

Rin had that for a couple of days and I took her into the vet. It was a minor infection and they gave me some cream to squeeze into her eyes. She hated it and by default me but that cleared it right up, so your guy probably has an infection too. Get it taken care of sooner than later because it could spread to the other eye (it did for Rin).

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Second, is it standard procedure most places to keep the dog overnight after a neuter? The only reason I ask is because the veterinarians we took my dogs to when I was growing up usually sent them home the same day.

For a spay, they usually keep them overnight. But a neuter? I've never ever had an animal need to spend anymore than a few hours at the vet afterwards. Hell when I got Professor done, I dropped him off at 8 am and they said I could come get him at anytime after 12.

It rather sounds like they're trying to scam you out of some extra cash by keeping him overnight. Unless something goes seriously wrong I can't imagine a neuter needing an overnight stay, it's a pretty quick procedure.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

HyperGlitter posted:

Okay, thanks, this is good to know. My next question I guess is it always worth it to introduce the second cat? I know it's impossible to tell if an animal can be socialized for sure but she warms up to strangers pretty quickly and is increasingly affectionate with me despite being a stray (pregnant, aborted! who I found in a shelter. She is fixed.

In my experience, it's pretty rare to have two cats who despise each other to the point of one being a real danger to the other. As your cat was a former stray, there's a chance that she might have a *slight* increase in pissiness towards the new cat, but that's about it. The worst I've seen is two cats who end up being more or less indifferent towards each other, and at best they become snuggle buddies. You should always take care in introducing new pets, of course, but honestly it's always worth it to get your kitty a friend. The chances that she'll completely and utterly hate the new addition and try to hurt them are pretty low.

quote:

I'm not away from my place that much and give her loads of attention, but should I feel bad for working 6-8 hour shifts and desiring someone there to keep her company?

Cats are pretty independant animals, unlike dogs. Yes they love company and yes they love snuggles and being petted but they don't often get the high anxiety that dogs can when being left alone. A friend is always a good thing (plus you don't get kitten piles without friends :3: ), but it's not as big a deal to leave cats alone for stretches of time.

quote:

edit: Upon reasoning how independent cats are and how she hasn't been exhibiting any bored, sad, or destructive behavior yet, I've decided against this for now; unless someone says that cats love having another cat around, it's not exactly necessary.

Ultimately the decision is yours. However, two cats really aren't any harder to handle than one cat. You'll go through more food, sure, and have to get double the vaccines, but some vets (you'll have to call yours to check) will give discounts if you bring in multiple animals at once. Cats do get bored and lonely, but some react differently than others. For my kitties, I know that Poko would be perfectly fine if he was the only one in the apartment, but Professor would be so bored and sad that it would be cruel to leave him alone.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
What's the best way to stop cats from begging? Every time I open a can of tuna I suddenly have all of the cats swarming at my feet and crying like they haven't been fed in weeks. Spritzing them with water irritates them but not enough for them to give it up, same with shaking cans of beans and adding vinegar to the water. I have no idea where they picked this up, I never ever let them eat people food of any sort due to Professor's tender tummy.

I just want to eat a tuna sandwich in peace :(

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
There's a kitten just outside my office. He looks very young - 9 weeks, tops - and is extremely skinny. I saw him digging through the trash for food, but he won't come too close for me to pick him up and take him. I don't want to leave him outside, it's very warm today and he's just so small, but he's skittish. What's the best way to get a kitten to immediately trust me at least enough to get within grabbing distance?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Helanna posted:

A trap is probably the best way, but failing that you could try putting out a bowl of stinky wet food, or kitty crack like the solid gold tuna food that everyone thinks is great ;)

Unfortunately a) the kitten got startled by a large truck and ran off and b) there's no good pet stores near my office. But I did go out and get a little tin of Fancy Feast (best I could do :( ) to let him know where a source of food is. Tonight I'll dart up to the store to get some solid gold and see if I can get him out again tomorrow.

He's just so little and scraggly looking, I want him to be okay :smith:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
So in regards to my wayward ktiten I posted about last week...finally got my hands on a trap. I'd been keeping him occupied outside of the building with good stinky kitten food so that he'd realize that outside the door = food. Trap is currently outside the office. The goddamn kitten is too little/smart to set off the stupid thing! :argh: I've watched him step over the plate to eat the food. How can I get him to actually step on the plate to catch his cute little rear end?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Make sure it's pushed as far back to the end past the plate as possible. If he can still reach it, use a smaller container. If this doesn't work, maybe try a small cardboard shield in front of the plate blocking off the food so he has to step on it to reach over the shield and get the food (or conversely make it floor-to-ceiling with a hole he has to stick his head through).

The paper shield over the plate worked! I caught a kitten!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Helanna posted:

Pictures needed, now :D

I would but...well, and this is embarassing to admit, but when I was transferring him from the trap to the carrier, I had the car door open behind me and he ran out.

Tomorrow is another day though!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they usually won't go back in a trap once they've been caught. Now instead of associating it with food, they associate it with horrible frightening hairless monsters.

RC (Random Cat) says you don't know what you're talking about :colbert:

he's older than I originally thought he was, and is currently chilling out in the bathroom. I'm calling the shelter and vets tomorrow, but I really don't think he has an owner - he doesn't like me getting near him at all. I'm also fairly certain he has fleas, and his one eye is a little gunky, and he needs a bath, but all of that can wait until he's settled down a bit. Vet appointment is tomorrow.

P.S. KilGrey you are not allowed to look at my kitten pictures.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I haven't the foggiest if he's actually a he - could very well be a girl. I tried to take a peek yesterday, but RC is just so shy and is already pretty freaked out that I don't want to stress him out any more than I have to (I'll leave that to the vet :D ). It's a completely arbitrary distinction.

Tomorrow comes calling the shelters and vet just to make sure he doesn't have an owner, but if he doesn't have a home he's found one. I also found out that he's probably got a cold, he's got a snotty nose but isn't wheezing or anything. Poor kitten...but god drat if kitten sneezes aren't adorable.

Edit: Alright good thing he's cute because the little bastard just pooped on my bathroom counter <:mad:> Perfectly good litter box not 5 feet from him.

Women's Rights? fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 8, 2008

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Is rabies vaccine necessary for a purely indoors cat?

I don't know where you live, but here in IN we had to get special permission from the state to not give Lacey her rabies vaccine. Lacey has a nasty reaction to it, but we still wanted to get her registered with the state and they won't do it if you don't have proof of a rabies vaccine. Also, many of the boarding places in town won't take a pet if you can't provide proof of vaccination, so if you have to run out of town in a hurry and have no one to look over your cat you could be in a pickle if your boarding places are the same.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
One of my cats has started drooling quite a bit out of nowhere. She was just at the vet on Friday, and yeah her teeth have a little tartar on them but no absesses or infected teeth or anything nasty like that. She's acting completely fine - eating like a pig, playing, snuggling, using the litter box - but she's just drooling a lot. I don't have any plants in the house, no cleaning products left out, and she doesn't go outside so I don't think she could've gotten into anything poisonous. Is this just a "keep an eye on it" thing, or should I make an appointment?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

KilGrey posted:

Is this aggressive mean or just being to playful?

It sounds like a combo of being playful and your cat saying "I'm the one in charge" to me. Just asserting her dominance over the new kitten. I wouldn't really worry too much about it if it's happening without any other signs of aggression like hissing, growling, getting puffy, etc. If no one gets too upset about it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Okay this may seem like a really weird thing to ask about, but I always get nervous whenever any change in the cats occurs...good or bad.

Over the last week and a half or so, Poko's fur has suddenly become very soft and very shiny. There's been no change in his diet (California Natural, which he's been on for about 3 years now), no supplements have been added, and he doesn't get any treats. He doesn't eat people food, as I don't share with the cats when I'm eating and any leftovers get put away or dumped safely out of kitty reach. He's 13 years old and has been fixed since forever so I don't think that hormones would be playing any role in it.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I'm just curious as to why all of a sudden he'd have such nice looking fur. He has terrible eyesight and has some sort of neurological condition that makes it hard for him to groom hiimself since he has almost zero balance, so I'm used to him having slightly greasy fur...hell I kind of miss it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
My mom isn't a goon, so I'll ask for her!

My mom has 4 cats. She used to have 5 but one of them, Mikey, ran away back in July and hasn't been heard or seen from since. Mikey was best buds with Miroku, who went through a period of "my friend is gone :(" and has now snapped out of it.

Despite there being 3 other cats in the house, Miroku is bored as poo poo during the day. He plays with the dogs at night, and that's fine, but during the day none of the other cats will play with him and the dogs are crated so he just hangs around getting into all kinds of poo poo that he shouldn't. She regularly comes home to find the curtains clawed up, or stuff knocked over. It's not his fault, he just has no one to play with during the day...he used to play with Mikey, but Mikey's gone.

Dad has put down a strict "No more loving cats" law on the house, so getting him a more playful friend isn't an option. But the poor cat is just going crazy...what are some options to give him something to do/play with during the day that will keep him occupied.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Alright, here's a reverse of the normal ringworm question - I picked it up from my boyfriend who got it from his cat. I'm off to Redi Med tomorrow to get some cream, but what can I do to prevent my own kitties from getting it? Or should I just call up the vet and see if they can get me some ointment for them? I read on wikipedia that it's contagious before you get any symptoms so they might already have it :(

Edit: Nevermind, they got it. I checked this morning and poko has a splotch on his tail.

Women's Rights? fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 19, 2008

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
One of my cats has suddenly decided that she wants to beg for food when I'm eating. I don't know why it started out of nowhere - Rin never really pestered me before and I never feed the cats table scraps or let them be in the kitchen while I'm cooking or anything. The most people food they get is the rare moments when I cook myself a steak, and even then they only get the little fatty bits cut up into tiny pieces and placed in the food bowls. Never off of my plate and never from my hand. But Rin has suddenly decided that whatever I'm eating she wants to eat and has begun crawling all over me, the table, and my plate while I'm eating. Just pushing her off and saying "NO" loudly isn't discouraging her enough, and I don't want to keep a ssscat can near me while I'm eating. What can I do to further discourage this behavior?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I havent' tried the spray bottle, as I've been reluctant to because I thought the point of the spray bottle was to keep it semi-hidden so they don't associate it with you and instead with the activity. Kind of hard to hide it when she's in my lap trying to squirm between me and the table to get to my food. I'm willing to give it a shot though.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Toussaint Louverture posted:

why do cats do the head bump thing?

Because they wuv you :3:

I don't know an evolutionary reason for it, but whenever a cat headbumps me it's always been a "Hey buddy!" kind of thing. Some of them go overboard with it (my brother's cat Homer will incessantly headbutt your forehead, shoulders, arms, back, whatever he can reach until you pet him for at least 20 minutes), but most of them are just saying hello and reminding you that their ears need a good scratchin'.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
There are live traps that you can borrow/rent from your local shelter. You place the food in the back of the trap, set it, and then check on it every so often - I checked the trap every 45 minutes when I was trying to catch JJ. They're idiot proof - I'm one of those people that couldn't nail two boards together without instructions and I figured it out. Sometimes you get a smart cat who'll step over the trap, but there are ways around that - initially JJ would step over the plate, so someone here in thread gave me the idea to cover the plate with a piece of folded up paper. It worked like a charm. Sometimes there's a waiting list on the traps though, so the sooner she calls the shelter about it the better. I had to wait about a week to get my live trap.

In the meantime, I'd keep leaving out food. It may not be Ginny though, and your friend needs to be prepared for that. Lost pets are a terrible thing to go through :(

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Ambellina posted:

Okay, question.

We have a 19 week old kitten, and we've had him for a couple weeks. He usually uses the little box, but every now and then he pees in the bathtub. He peed on our bed one time, and we have since banned him from the bedroom.

This evening I look over at him and he is peeing on the carpet.

Is my kitty broken? I don't know why he isn't using the litter box. We have tried the squirt bottle and telling him "No", but neither of those things are working. I don't know what else to do and I don't want my apartment carpet to stink like kitty pee.

Help!

How often are you cleaning the litter box? Some cats are extremely prissy about a dirty litter box - Rin will pee right infront of me if I get lazy about it out of protest, and my brother's cat Lacey will howl at him until he gets up and cleans it.

Have you taken your kitten to the vet lately? Peeing in odd places can be a sign of sickness, and cats hide their sickness really well.

How many litter boxes do you have, and what kind do you have? Some cats hate open litter boxes, and some cats hate the closed ones. Is your litter box too deep or too shallow? Are you using scented litter?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Whenever the kitten gets the claws out, let out a short, high pitched yelp. It's what other kittens do as a "Too hard!" cry, and it should startle her enough to make her stop. Locking her in the bathroom isn't really an effective punishment because kittens don't really understand the "time out" punishment, so she's not even aware that she's being punished. When it comes to the furniture, you can always cover the edges and corners with either tinfoil or saran wrap - cats hate the feel of those and will avoid scratching or clawing at them at all. You can also redirect her to a more appropriate scratching surface by bribing her with catnip or treats until she gets the idea that scratching here = good.

Kittens are dicks though, so good luck with it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Arcanist posted:

I have a random dog behavior question.

My 7 month old adopted puppy has a weird habit when she goes outside with me to potty (I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment so I need to take her out on a leash). When I tell her "let's go potty" she goes over to her favorite rabbit toy, picks it up in her mouth, and goes out the door with me. She goes to her potty spot, does her business, and comes right back inside - all while the toy is in her mouth.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My father's lab Cinder has her favorite toy - a stuffed football on a rope - that she carries around with her everywhere while she's in the backyard, including when she's going to the bathroom. She gets so upset that we won't let her bring it into the house, but that thing's been dropped in mud and worse over the years and it's just nasty.

Your puppy should be fine if she likes to have a toy in her mouth while she does her business, just make sure that she doesn't accidentally drop it in the business when she's done.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
What's the best way to get cat puke stains out of carpet? Professor had himself a time this weekend and I'm STILL finding spots of puke that I missed. It's leaving these yellowy brown stains everywhere that are crazy gross, but I've tried scrubbing them with vinegar/baking soda and the spots remain.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Nature's Miracle works great for puke, too. Soak and then blot.

Thanks, I've got about half a bottle of that. I'll give it a shot.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

mistaya posted:

I was more curious how long it takes to get them to respond to the new one. Also, I'm a first time cat owner so I'm a little overexcited. :)

My cats don't care what I call them so long as I say it in a cutesy voice and look at them when I say it. If I call out "Hey stupid!" 9 times out of 10 I get a cat come running up to me like "Yes? Do I get treats now? Tummy rubs?"

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
It's not worth it's own thread, but my cat is very sick and I need help making her not hate me so I can treat her.

Rin has a stomach infection, and hasn't eaten anything in 3 days. At the vet this morning, they ran a blood panel and her liver has already started to break down because her bilirubin(sp?) numbers were really high. He said that she needs to eat starting right now because otherwise it doesn't matter if the infection clears up or not, she won't make it. I got an appetite stimulant from them, but it doesn't seem to be working so I have to force feed her. She hates this, and me, and is cowering behind the toilet every time I get close to her.

I need either some tips to make her not hate me so much when I force feed her, or some tempting tidbits I could try to please make her eat. So far I've tried california natural (her standard food), solid gold wet food, tuna, butter, cheese, and some hamburger. The vet said that, at least for the next day or two, he doesn't even care WHAT she eats just so long as it's something, so normally forbidden people foods are okay to try. Rin is one of those cats who doesn't even really like people food so I don't know what else I could try that might perk her up. I'm currently forcing small amounts of hills prescription a/d food into her but she doesn't really like it at all and spits out half of what I give her.

Edit: The stimulant they gave me is cyprohepatadine, 1/2 tablet twice a day. She's also taking amoxi drops for the infection and metoclopramide syrup to help soothe her tummy.

Women's Rights? fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 14, 2009

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll pick up a few cans of shittier food to see if she'll go for that.

Kitten Kisses posted:

What our vet recommended and what ended up working the best for us was getting him some jars of baby food in whatever flavors of meat your kitty tends to like best.

Rin does like chicken, I bet I could find something with chicken in it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Rin didn't make it. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I lost Rin last week, and now Professor is grieving pretty hard. He keeps climbing under the blankets looking for her (Rin was real big on sleeping under blankets/clothes/piles of laundry) and it's really quite heartbreaking to see him wander around looking for his sister. He's looking for a playmate and Poko's completely useless with that. What can I do to help distract him from her being gone that doesn't involve getting another cat? I've tried giving him extra laser pointer time/tossing balls/treats and snuggles time but he's still searching for her.

On another note, it's really creepy that Rin died in the bathroom and now neither of them will go into the bathroom anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
What the hell is wrong with my cat? I took him in on Monday because he'd been more pukey than normal last weekend (vomitting has stopped), and the vet and I discovered that he's lost 3 lbs in the past 9 months (was nearly 15 lbs in April '08 when I brought him in for vaccines, is now 11 lbs 12 ounces). So far everything on him has come back normal - vet listened to all the major organs and felt for any lumps where there shouldn't be and that was totally fine, they ran a CBC on him and everything there came within the perfectly normal range.

The vet said at this point he wants to wait a week for me to bring him back in to see if there's any changes in his weight, and then after that we'll go with either regular x-rays or barium to make sure everything is working okay in his digestive tract. If that doesn't come back with any results, then I don't know what the gently caress. Professor eats California Natural food with occassional Tempting Tidbits or Pit'R'Pat once a day as a nummy, and he's been eating, drinking, and using the litter box just fine. I haven't been trying to make him lose weight, and 3 lbs is an awful lot in less than a year. He wasn't even fat last year, because I remember specifically asking the vet if I should work on slimming him down and the vet said no, he's just a big guy, that's a perfectly healthy weight for him.