Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
My cat doesn't bury her own poo poo. Which is weird, because she's very bright about where the litterbox is. We got her from a shelter and she has never once not poo poo in there. Even when I had to move her from the suburbs to downtown Chicago and back within 4 days she always right away picked up where the box is. So far I've only tried 2 different kinds of litter so I guess it could still be that.

I mean it's not that big of a deal, whenever she shits I just clean it out right away, but I'm still curious as to why she doesn't bury it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Hey, I didn't know if this had merit enough to start a new thread. I inherited a cat who has the bad habit of peeing on dirty clothes. I was out of town for a full day one time and left some dirty clothes on my bed, when I got back there was piss all over them, soaked straight down through my blankets.

I washed everything except my mattress ( I just sprayed Lysol on it, it's all I had), and everything was good. A few days he just pees on my bed again. He's been peeing on there every so often now when I don't cover the mattress, even though I'm pretty sure I got the smell out of it.

Question is, is there something physically wrong him? I've heard of urinary tract infections maybe or something else, or is it just a mental thing where he can still smell the last time he peed?

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Get your hands on some Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner. It will help to kill the smell. You may not be able to smell it but the cat still can.

Alright, I'll try that. I'll have to take him to the vet as soon as I go home for break. Thank you both!

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
How do you guys feel about laser pointers to play with the cats? Someone told me it kind of fucks with their minds since they never catch.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Kerfuffle posted:

This applies only to dogs. However some cats will just get bored with it after awhile of not ever catching it and not play it with it anymore. You can boost their moral a little and aim on a treat at the end. :)

Oooo that's a good idea! It's just that'd I'd feel kind of bad giving them something to chase after that they'd never get :).

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I don't think this deserves it's own thread so here we go! I was gone for the weekend and had a neighbor come in to feed the cats/empty litter while I was gone. I scoop the litterboxes daily into a plastic box with a bag inside, and them dump that at the end of the day. I told him I still had old litter to be dumped from the day that I left.

Well, the guy did come over and feed the cats and scoop the litter but never dumped it, so when I got home I had like a 10 pound bag of old cat poo poo in my bathroom. When I went to throw it out there were some sort of bugs inside. I read they're most likely gnats, not fleas. I checked my cats fur and found nothing so that's a good sign. Aside from disinfecting the poo poo out of my bathroom should I bring the cats to the vet to make sure?

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh, ew. Thanks, neighbor.

I wouldn't expect fleas to be particularly congregating in a bag of cat poo poo--something that eats/lays eggs in feces or litter would be more likely, and it's prrrobably not something to worry about in terms of your cats' health? Were these small and flying? More like beetles?

Yeah small and flying. I just combed the poo poo out of my cats again and didn't find anything, so I think I'm in the clear.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
In my search for a roommate I found someone awesome. He also has a dog. I have a cat. My cat is very people friendly and doesn't care if a stranger comes in, but I imagine a dog is a different story. The guy has a fifty pound Huskie he wants to bring in. My question is are cats and dogs doomed to hate each other? Can I leave for work without worrying about a murder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

a life less posted:

Huskies tend to have a strong prey drive and many are not good with cats. Honestly unless his dog has a long and clean history with cats I would assume that this is the case with his dog.

You could try inviting the dog over for an afternoon to see, but honestly in these sorts of situations it's better to be safe than sorry.

I did some research on Huskies and living with cats and for every happy post that says they have both that get along great I see 3 that say they're basically cat annihilators. Not to mention I have a pretty small apartment and I work all day, so yeah....this probably isn't the best idea.