Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Chaco posted:

If you license your cat (I think most people don't) rabies may be required depending on where you live.

I run a vaccine clinic and we have to ask people if they would like us to register their cat with the health department (about their rabies vaccine) and only like 20% actually do.

I know in TN it's required by law to get a rabies vaccine every year, most states are either every 1 year or every 3 years. Getting annual vaccines is a good time to just get a general check-up done anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I just got a new kitten (5-6 weeks-ish, not sure...mom abandoned it) and she(?) licks me constantly. Is this a sign of affection or due to her being left by mom? Also, I've read that you shouldn't let your kitten bat/bite at your hands like a toy because then they will always associate them with toys and that could be a problem with clipping nails, etc. Is there any truth in this? Sorry, i haven't had a kitten for about 11 years - I don't remember barely anything.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Jack Van Burace posted:

Hey there folks. Got a quick and easy question for ya. I've got a little Brussels Griffon, 2 years old, and I've just moved into an apartment. He's slowly adjusting, but my summer classes start next week and he'll have to be home alone for 4 hours or so a day. I know this is dorky but I'm worried that he'll miss me a lot and get super lonely as he's very, very attached to me. He's got toys at the house but he doesn't seem to enjoy playing with them very much, and buying another dog isn't an option at the moment. I know it's probably silly to ask this, but is there any way I can make it easier for him to adjust to me not being there or will he be okay?

Maybe leave a shirt or something of yours that you've worn in his sleeping area so he can smell you while you're gone. I would think it would be comforting.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Olive Bar posted:

I don't know about the Coatimundi, but I'm almost positive that it is very illegal to sell Kinkajous in the U.S. I would bet the Coatimundi is illegal too, but I'm not sure on that.

Edit: After looking, it looks like Kinkajous may be allowed with a permit, but I'm not sure. You could probably call animal control, or someone like that and ask them. I'm assuming they would know.

They have a kinkajou in our pet store for sale here in TN, along with wallabies and sugar gliders. Maybe it's illegal to sell Kinkajous here. I hope so, it breaks my heart to see the Wallaby in a 5 x 8" pen with no toys, just tile floor, food and water. She just hops in a circle all day, breaks my heart.

Edit: additional thought

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 26, 2008

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

MsJoelBoxer posted:

What does one use to get glue out of pet hair?

Do you think baby oil might work it out? I don't know why this came to mind, but it did. At least if she/he somehow consumed it it wouldn't be deathly.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

So I brought home a new kitten today and she was infested with fleas. I washed her in some kitten flea shampoo. Not even thinking about it. I happen to read the back of the bottle and realized that it's not for kittens under 8 months old. Should I be concerned? I didn't wash her face, and I really don't think she ingested any. The only time she might have gotten a little bit is when she was cleaning herself after, I think i rinsed her well though. She is about 8 weeks old. Now this is the same shampoo I washed my other kitten in weeks ago and she was even younger, she was/is fine. I feel so irresponsible. Should I just watch her? Right now she's playing, but I only bathed her like 30 min ago. When do you it'd be safe to say I'm "in the clear"? I have to work at 9am tomorrow (that's about 10 and half hours away). I don't have anyone that could watch her tomorrow.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

It's very hard for a hermit crab to live out of their shell for very long. The part of their body that stays in the shell is very fragile. Sorry he didn't make it. It's always best to have many shells of different sizes available.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Will a cat really starve themself because they don't like the food offered?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I wouldn't think leaving a collar on would be a hazard, as long as it is fitted properly. A properly fitting collar shouldn't give you worries about choking, and at the same time he/she shouldn't be able to take the collar off. I know cat collars are usually the "break away" kind because a cat could hang themselves on a fence post or tree limb or something of the like. My dogs have had collars on 24/7 with the exception of baths since they were puppies. I've just never had any concern about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

maplecheese posted:

Yeah... you know how we make fun of people who decide they have Aspberger's because of what they read on the internet?

Speaking as an ABA therapist who works with people on the autism spectrum daily, this just made my day. Hilarious.

Edit to add my own question: Can't a veterinarian get a somewhat general idea of how old a kitten is by looking at their teeth? I thought certain teeth grew in around certain times. I work for this vet (portable vaccination clinic) and now that they're my animals she's examining, I'm not sure how much I trust her. I brought her the kitten that was abandoned and asked her to guesstimate an age. She just looked at her and was like 'she's pretty small, I would think around 3 weeks' Now I had already had her a week, and I know she was not 2 weeks old when I got her. Her ears were erect, eyes wide open, could run, would wrestle with your feet, and looked nothing like the pictures of two week old kittens I had seen. After we caught the rest of her litter, I'm almost positive she was/is the runt. Definitely the smallest. It just disturbed me that the vet didn't even look at her teeth, just how big she was. Is this common practice?

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 8, 2008