Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gross
Jan 7, 2006

Well, here's your problem!

Customer Service posted:

What would be the best/easiest sorts of snails to breed as food for my dwarf puffers? Would snails need a very complex set up to breed? How many would I want? I figure I want a sort that are hermaphrodites...

I don't know much about dwarf puffers, but are plain old pest snails all right for them to eat?

I keep a small unheated tank with a couple of floating plants and an under-gravel filter where I toss the pest snails I pick out of my other tanks. They breed endlessly in there whether I feed them or not. I doubt you would need anything more complex than a container of water with a light shining on it - just toss in a cheap, tough plant from a tank at the store that has snails in it, and you will get more snails. As far as I can tell, they just breed faster in warmer water, and grow larger in cold water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gross
Jan 7, 2006

Are there any Danio experts here?

I've had a school of zebra danios in my community tank that seem to come down with something every 3-4 months, but none of the other fish are affected. They appear to be good and healthy for a while, and then they start slowing down, hiding, and wasting away slowly. No flicking that I've seen, but the larger ones can become more aggressive and dart around a bit.

The water quality isn't a problem, and I've tried a few copper-based medications that haven't made much of a difference as far as I can tell. I know these guys are prone to certain types of parasites. Has anyone had a similar problem, or found a reliable treatment for it?

Edit: If it's "velvet", I haven't seen any of the visible signs except for the fish just not looking well.

gross fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 14, 2008

gross
Jan 7, 2006

Kusaru posted:

My fishtank bucket, new and never used outside of filling the tank and aging the water, had some orangey goo sitting on the bottom of the bucket today. It had been sitting out about 2 days... could it be rust from my pipes or what?

Could be that or something else, depending on where your tap water comes from. Do you have a well, or has there been any heavy rain recently? The city water where I live tends to get a bit of cloudiness and slight odor any time there's flooding, due to an increase in algae growth, but it's still treated and safe to drink.

It's also a good idea to fill the bucket with cold water if it's going to be sitting around anyway. You're more likely to pick up extra crap from the pipes and heater tank (if you have one) with hot water.

gross
Jan 7, 2006

The Hoobit posted:

Simply put, most rescues are pains in the rear end because of people like your friend and your sister. It's to keep them from getting animals they've adopted out dumped back onto them because the adopters didn't think their situation through before taking in that animal. People surrender dogs and cats for lots of reasons, so rescues give you the run-around to help cut back on that - they want to make sure you own the house, have permission from landlords, know a good vet, don't live in a pig-sty, have realistic expectations, and aren't expecting major life changes in the near future (having a baby, new job, moving, starting/stopping school). Granted, some rescues are much more anal than others, but that's typically because they've been through many of the same scenario that causes people to give back their adopted pets, so they tighten their requirements accordingly.

I know this is a few days old, but thanks for the explanation on rescues. I figured some of the ones we looked at before we adopted our last cat were just run by borderline hoarders who didn't really want to give the pets up, because holy poo poo were they a pain in the rear end. I completely gave up on a couple of them before we went to the local humane society, which was only slightly less difficult.

It felt especially ridiculous since our first cat was one of those "Hey, you know anyone who wants a free kitten?" deals where a friend of a friend had a bunch they couldn't take care of. Drive over and pick it up, done deal. We thought it would be nice to adopt an older cat from a shelter the second time around, and ended up with weird ladies asking for interviews and character references, wanting to come over and pick apart our house, etc. like they were doing us a huge favor letting us adopt a cat someone else had given up. It's good to know they're not just doing it because they're crazy.

Edit: It's probably a factor, but at least it's not the only one.

gross fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 11, 2008