Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
I adopted my dog Ukiah from the shelter about 2 months ago. When the shelter brought her in she was seriously under weight and infected with a bunch of parasites which they treated. I've been feeding her about 1.5 times her recommended amount of food, but she hasn't gained much at all. I suspected something was up and had the vet check her stool for worms, but they warned me that tapeworm eggs can be hard to detect and her test came back negative.
So today I was out walking her in the park and decided to look at her poop, and sure enough she was nursing a happy colony of white wormy friends in her intestines. On the way home I picked up some dewormer (safe-guard) that I'm going to administer either tonight or tomorrow.

I was hoping to get some advice on what to expect in the deworming process. The package warns of vomiting, and I can handle that, but is there anything else I need to know or be ready for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
I scanned the last couple pages and couldn't find anything, and I figure with flea and tick season coming up it's good to bring the information up anyways.

My dog Ukiah and I are outside a lot, and she's already gotten 2 ticks this year. She's not on any tick meds right now, but I'm going to get her some in the next couple days. So what's the consensus on flea and tick meds?

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
My dog has a medium-length two-layer coat and I've noticed that as things warm up she's gotten a bit more lethargic. I was wondering what the consensus was on shaving her down.

I know that generally the advice is to do the belly hair first, but she doesn't have much down there naturally, so I don't think it'd do that much.

I am a little worried about clipping down all her guard hairs because she loves running through brush and woods, and I want her to have all the protection possible.

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

DONT' DO IT!! What kind of dog is it? How long have you had her, and how old is she? (i.e. Is this your first warm season with her?) It's natural for ANY dog to get lethargic in the heat. Double-coated breeds have those coats because they're natural protection from the elements, and that includes heat. It actually helps them cool down and keeps the sun from hitting their skin. The best thing to do if your dog is blowing coat is to keep up on the shedding by brushing and combing your dog, and bathing your dog every 4-6 weeks, either yourself or by taking your dog to a groomer, until all the undercoat is gone (of course, you're always going to want to keep up on brushing, regardless ;) ) If your dog has a medium coat, I'd say there's no reason to shave it down all together, getting rid of the winter undercoat should be enough.

Thanks for the advice, I've left her coat on and luckily it's been consistently gorgeous around here for the last few weeks so she's been happy. She was blowing coat (in a relatively minor sense, not husky levels or anything) for a while, but it's mostly finished by now. I shed her with a brush pretty regularly, and that does seem to help. She's part of a noble line of the brown-dog-mutt breed:

If she keeps complaining about the heat I'll just tell her to stop being such a baby about it.