Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Disclaimer: None of the pets of me or anyone I know are pregnant!

I know you can have cats and dogs spayed if they are already pregnant but how long into it is that an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

This is mostly going to depend on your vet's comfort level with the procedure, and possibly some moral/ethical issues. I've seen spays done late enough that puppies were given euthanasia solution.

Thanks, the reason I was asking is becuase I was watching some show about animal rescue, and they got a whole ton of cats from some collector and there was a pregnant one in the bunch. Instead of giving her a spay they had her have the kittens. I just was kind of confused because it seems like with a zillion cats that already need places to go, having more cats would be something that especially a rescue organization would try to avoid at all costs...

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Hay guys :)

I've been planning on getting a dachshund at the end of the year (when I get out of school) and I think I've found a breeder that I like, but I'd love to get more educated opinions on their web site. I don't think they seem like a byb or puppy mill... but really I don't have enough experience checking out those types of places to be 100% sure.

Their site is http://www.mcmillansdoxies.com/index.html

Thanks tons!

I'm no expert, but I thought it was a little weird that under the stud sections they talk about how the studs are going to be in the show circuit. I was under the impression that you showed to make sure that the dog was worth breeding and THEN did all that. They are doing it rear end backwards. Further, that's the only place they even mention shows.

Edit; LIONESS! You and your quick replies!!!

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Currently we use covered litterboxes but I've been thinking of switching to the top entry rubbermaid alternative. Is there anything I have to do to get the cats to realize the new thing is also a litterbox or can I just swap them out and it will all be good?

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

baby_starfish posted:

Last night my kitten started playing with a bit of food that had fallen out of her bowl and somehow managed to get it into her water bowl. She tried to get it out by putting her paw in the water but couldn't. This morning and again this evening she has been putting her paw into the water even though there is now nothing in the water. She is getting water everywhere and I don't understand why she is still doing it when there is nothing in the water. Anyone have any ideas?

My cat does this - instead of putting her face in the bowl she will put her foot in and then lick the water off that. I tried a mat but it didn't help to contain the water, so then I got a big plastic serving platter and used that. The lip on it keeps the water in so the platter is movable and I can dump it out.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
The Furminator is really fantastic...if you can get your cat to sit still long enough to actually be thoroughly brushed by it, which mine don't. I just try to brush them whenever I can instead of having brush sessions and it always gets tons of hair off even when I'm not trying particularly hard.

I would recommend getting it on sale or with some kind of coupon because while it is nice, it is pricey for a cat brush. Also I don't know why, but the dog and cat ones are the same except for the color, yet the cat one was about $8 more expensive when I got mine (from Petsmart), so look in the dog section.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

mr. nazi posted:

How do I persuade a newly adopted young cat (~1 year old) not to dig so much in the litterbox? He digs for about 30 seconds prior to the act, then another 30 seconds afterwards. It's kicking up a ton of dust, and he's undoing all the work that the clumping litter is doing. It's also making a mess of the bathroom where I keep the litterboxes. He's very good about using the litterbox he just seems to have way too much fun digging for treasure and I don't want to make him afraid of or scared to use the litterbox.

Things which might reduce the mess but not really change the root of the problem:
- getting a covered litterbox (unknown if the cats would go for it, resident cat has used an uncovered one for the last year)
- changing to a less dusty litter, but afraid cats might decide they don't like it and not use the litterbox

As a result of all his digging, the litter gets all over the bathroom and on him, and when he's done digging around he leaps out of the litterbox, over all the tracking mats I have set out, and then runs full speed across the living room. This of course spreads litter all over the apartment and it's getting old vacuuming so much and still finding litter everywhere because of him. It was never a problem with the resident cat.

You could try a top entry box but I don't know how it would go considering you have doubts about them even using a covered one. But if the little one does take to it he can freak out in there all he wants and nothing will fly out.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Bengi66 posted:

My dog keeps chewing things.

Whenever he is left on his own he will either chew the walls/wallpaper, table/ chair legs etc or even his own bed. I now leave him in the kitchen with the back door open so he can go into the garden whenever he wants, but yet when ever i come back something will have been chewed/destroyed in the kitchen.

He is roughly 9months old and is a mongrel, any advice on how to stop this would be great.

If he does it when you're home keep a better eye on him or try keeping him tethered to you. If it's while youa re gone/sleeping, get a crate. A lot of people think it's mean but it really isn't- it gives your dog his own place to chill out and keep him out of trouble. I will try to dig up the crating faq here in a minute for you.

Edit: http://www.lunarprincess.com/pi_faq/newpuppy-Salival.txt there it is!

MockTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 17, 2008

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Bengi66 posted:

Thank you very much, I am one of those people who thinks its mean im afraid, after all he has had free run of the downstairs for the past 4 months (when we got him), but has only been chewing things the past 2 months. Is there any other method that could work to stop him chewing things? if not I will try the crate.
They make sprays that you can put on non-chewables but I don't know that you'd want to cover everything you own in it.

Honestly I think the crate is the easiest and most foolproof. Someone on here had a dog that they left in an empty room and it literally went to town on the drywall/linoleum. They will find something to get at if they possibly can.

Crating is only mean if you go way overboard, like locking him in there 24/7 while you don't pay any attention to him. Think of it like a bedroom or a cave, he can chill out and have his own private space when you are away and it's better for everyone since you don't get your crap eaten and he doesn't choke on something, eat something poisonous, etc. A lot of dogs will even go in there on their own during the day when they want to rest.

It might take some getting used to for the first little while, but please remember that a dog is not a person, so he's not going to be laying in there thinking about how mean you are and wishing he was out playing like in the good old days.

You could even invest in some Kong toys which can be stuffed with frozen goodies so that will keep him busy with something until you can come home and play.

MockTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 17, 2008

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Bengi66 posted:

By crate do you guys mean a cage?

Essentially yes. It's either something like this made of wire (I know it looks mean but remember the den):

You can get all kinds of suave covers for them too so they aren't so ugly.

Or some people use the carrier type like this:

Even if you do crate him though, be sure to try and wear him out as much as you can before he goes in so he doesn't get all antsy in there, he will just conk out and go to sleep for a while :)

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Kuja posted:

Someone explain to me why animal meals are a problem when it comes to cat food? (or dog food for that matter)

When looking at prey model RAW diets that mimic what a cat would normally eat, one gives the cat raw meaty bones to add in necessary nutrients which are good for the cat (not to mention teeth, though this doesn't really apply in kibble), so grinding it all up in kibble is better than not having those nutrients, right?

It seems kind of like there's a lot of reactionary freakout about animal meals and that we should just give them straight meat that would be fit for a human, but that lacks the nutrition benefits, or so I would think.

I may be wrong but I always thought the issue was not that there are bones and stuff like you were talking about, but that the meal might be a great mix of chicken meat and parts, or it might consist of nothing except skin and chicken anuses and feet. You just never really know what you're getting with it.

MockTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 21, 2008

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
^^ Have you tried the water bottle to the face yet? I agree that a ssscat is a little extreme/gross while eating so maybe try spraying her.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Seventeen-Five posted:

I adopted a kitten 5 weeks ago, and I am just curious as to how neccesary shots are? She is and will always be indoors, so I'm not really sure if I can justify the money. I plan on getting her a rabies shot for my own saftey, but beyond that I am sceptical, to say the least.

What exactly do you plan on doing if/when something happens to your kitty and she has to go to a vet for emergency? I don't think you really thought this whole money situation through, if you can't afford to get your cat what it needs, don't get one.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Seventeen-Five posted:

Pardon? I never said I couldn't afford the shots. Why bother if it isn't something the cat requires? Thanks for your reply though...

Sorry, reading back over this today I realize I was overly bitchy. I had about 5 too many experiences with idiots regarding animals yesterday so when I read "I'm not really sure if I can justify the money" and that you were "skeptical" on shots, I took it as you being idiotic and trying to avoid shots rather than doing your homework on what they all were for, and my brain went onto crazy mode. I hope you enjoy your kitty :)

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Watch out for poop issues if you give meat or tuna a lot since too much rich food can cause that, and I'm assuming you don't want poo-splosions in your house.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

jrr posted:

What are some reputable cocker spaniel breeders in the MD/DC/VA/PA area? (Not planning on getting one for a couple of years, just doing research for now). Preferably breeders that have colors other than solid black or solid buff (not that I have anything against those colors it's just that the those are the two colors that I've had already and I don't want to feel like I'm replacing them. Just a weird psychological thing).

Also, I haven't seen a lot of love for spaniels in PI. What's up with that? There are a lot of posts saying don't get a (insert breed) unless you are planning on (insert working activity), or (breed) is not a good choice for a first time dog owner. Is there such a requirement for cockers? How 'easy' are cockers on the scale from retired greyhound to akita? I've had 2 cockers but one was purchased from a pet store (before I was born) and the other we got when I was 10 so I don't know about how reputable the breeder was. My parents had the first cocker in an apartment for a year before I was born, but again, she was from a pet store so her energy level was probably not typical of the breed.

A question spawned by your questions:

I have never owned a cocker but I don't have a very good opinion of them because I have met several and every one has either been a raging bastard that no one can play with or pees uncontrollably. Are the cockers I'm meeting just really weird?

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

DenialTwist posted:

Crate training question.

Usually dogs don't like to mess where they're living but a lot of times when they spend extreme amounts of time with nowhere else to go they get used to messing their area. If she routinely spent 20 hours at a time in the crate she's probably just used to going in it so she doesn't worry about holding it in anymore.

If the crate is too large this could be another problem. She should have enough room to stand stretch and turn around but not a place where she can chill at one side and go to the bathroom in another area.

I don't have many suggestions about what to do about the anxiety problem. If she is stressing seriously about you guys being gone then I would be reluctant to let her have run of a larger area like a room because sometimes dogs get upset and destroy which could end up costing you big bucks and hurt the dog too. But at the same time, if the crate that's really making her freak (talking about more than just whining about it) then I don't know how much good it's doing for her.

I kind of went on a tangent there about crate vs. non-crate with a stressed dog but hopefully someone else will throw some other stuff out there about solutions for you guys.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
I never heard of CH and while I was looking for it I saw this video and it made me melt... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQG6V1MOVY
<3 Charley :3:

Now that I think about it, there was a cat at the shelter I volunteered at for a while and he was like this. His name was Weeble :)

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Is there anyone who can do a quick rundown of the different types of flea treatments and how effective they are? I am in the market for some treatment and preventative for my cats but I have no clue how to differentiate between the 80,000 brands and forms and what works and what is snake oil. All I know is not to use Hartz brands and beyond that I'm confused.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Meow Cadet posted:

Talk to your vet. OTC flea meds suck rear end. Your vet should know what works best for your area. Revolution, Advantage and Frontline are popular in my area for cats, not sure about dogs.

I talked to the vet but I was skeptical because they were raving about advantage and I've heard that it doesn't work that well. I partly suspect they were just going on about it's greatness because they sell it. I just don't want to make the wrong move and end up having a flea issue because it's such a pain in the rear end.

MockTurtle fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 17, 2009

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
So I've got another flea question. My mother got a couple of those house foggers to try and bomb the place. They are Hartz brand. I know that harts flea and tick drops and collars are not healthy and I told her that, she told me that the ingredient in the fogger was the same as the other brands. Are we all going to die if I use the fogger? If we shouldn't use it, what would be a better kind to get?

Insta-Update: I found this:

quote:

Most flea bombs contain permethrin, a chemical dangerous for cats. There is a chance a cat will ingest the insecticide
Does this mean I shoudln't use any type of fogger? I am so confused.

Fleas suck.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Daemonus posted:

Anyone got any advice on a way to give him some relief tonight? I'm torn between taking him to a groomer and just shaving him (something I have never done, I can only guess it's a bad idea).

I would see if you can get ahold of any capstar, it will kill the fleas currently on him but if there are that many I would be concerned about them getting around the house as well. There have been a ton of flea threads over the summer that give ways to prevent them spreading though.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

fine-tune posted:

There probably isn't a definitive answer for this, but I'd like PI's opinions.

My husband and I are going to be out of the country for a couple of weeks later this month. We can either leave our one cat at home (Wasabi, 1 1/2) and have a trusted friend check in on her (feed, water, scoop, play if she doesn't hide under the couch) and the house every couple of days OR we can take her to the vet and have her boarded for the duration. Other than the car ride, going to the vet's office is a non-event and the vet is cats only. Boarding costs aren't an issue.

Any thoughts on one way or another?

If it were my cat I would leave it at home for several reasons.
1. I would rather pay a friend and help them out than pay for boarding.
2. The house is more familiar and with you gone I think the cat would be more comfortable.
3. You are probably going to have someone watch the house anyways so why would you bother with 2 places.

HOWEVER
If there is crap you think the cat could get into or if it's the type of cat to wreak havoc then I would be worried about them getting into something bad unless someone checked in rather often. But then again I am a worrier.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

Hey, totally dumb question, but what is that scrunchie thing that spaniel or long eared sighthound owners use to keep the dogs ears out of their food called? Kind of looks like A large flat scrunchie that you tuck the ears into. Also, any clue where to buy some? Thanks!

I think it's called a snood.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Zeph posted:

But, I've been having a problem with her lately, every single morning she poops on my carpet outside of my litter box. It's only in the morning, when I get home from work it's fine. I don't really know why though, I clean the litter box twice a day, when I leave it's clean and when I go to bed it's clean. I don't understand why she's doing her business directly outside of the box only in the mornings.
Nothin' like waking up with a turd on your floor.

My cat used to do this, then we figured out that he is semi-retarded and just wasn't walking into the box the whole way. He would have his front half in and just hang his rear end out over the edge. Maybe try something bigger or try uncovering it if it is a covered one. I would be wary about the tinfoil because I wouldn't want to drive her away from using the box.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

I am very likely traveling cross-country via plane (California-Ohio) for college come Fall. I would like to bring my betta with me. What is the best course of action? Ship him or bring him with me on the plane? Is this totally impractical?

I might be missing something, but they don't even let you take snow globes on planes because of the water in them, how are you supposed to take a fish without liquid? Trying to hide him in a package just makes you seem more suspicious which isn't going to turn out well with how paranoid people are.

I'm thinking shipping would be the best option if you have to take him, but I don't know what the chances are that the little fella might die on the way. It seems like it would be pretty delicate. Maybe let him stay home with your family and get a college fish as well if you want.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Salacious R. Crumb posted:

I just bought my cat this harness, and now I'm thinking I should've gotten a jacket instead. :( In any case, I tried to get him acclimated to it yesterday and today, but he seems to walk crouched down to the ground in it. I'm pretty sure it's fitted on him appropriately... not tight or restricting his movement, but he still crouches around. He also seems to just lay down a lot more when it's on. Does this indicate a bad fit, or is he probably just getting used to having something on him? I don't want him to be uncomfortable, I just want him to be able to explore the garden with me.

When I first started taking my cats out, i would sometimes put the harness on them and then just let them chill around the house and get used to it. At first they would just flop down and act like it was the end of the world but later on they start to get more confident and actually go exploring with it on. Even now they aren't ever really "walked", it's more like "I'm holding the leash and I follow them wherever". As soon as you tug they flop right down again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Lackadaisical posted:

Is there any advantage to topical flea medication for my cat over something like capstar?

If I understand things right, capstar will kill all the fleas on them right now but the topical kills them right now AND keeps them away.