Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD
So it has been discovered that while I love sewing, I need to work a bit on hand-embroidery:

Made this as a speech project ('How to make _______'), and it came out decently, except for the sorry-looking kanji...I'm considering ripping it out and painting it on instead. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it!'

Any suggestions for paints that will work? I tried mixing acrylic and fabric paint, even watering down the acrylic quite a bit, but it wasn't really happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

awapplesauce posted:

Fabric paint, obviously. Screen printing paint might work better since the fabric paints I've used usually end up stiff and home-made-looking (which is never something I want). But from the looks of it, you just used a regular stitch for the embroidery. If you use a backstitch, you'll get a solid, neat line and it should look nicer. Here's how- http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Crafts/Needlecrafts/Howtos/back+stitch.htm

HIlariously enough, a backstitch is precisely what I used. it kinda sucks...I used to be awesome at hand-stitching (I even have a baby blanket I helped my grandmother make that was entirely hand-embroidered by the two of us). But about six months ago I broke my wrist really badly and hosed up the tendons and the bone, and basically have no motor control in that hand, which of course is my sewing hand. :(

I'll definitely go look into the screen-printing paint though. Is that available at places like Hobby Lobby or will I have to go online?

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD
I presented the project today for class. It was pretty awesome, everyone else did a little two-minute 'How To Make PB&J' speech and then there's me with my 15-minute 'how to sew a purse and make it look ok' tutorial. I managed to get hired to make one for a few of my friends in that class (as well as the teacher), so it ended pretty well.

akeidolon posted:

I did a design on one of my jackets with acrylic paint mixed with a fabric medium. It came out really good, I wasn't as careful as I should have been with ironing it to set and smooth the paint so I accidentally pulled up a few small parts where it hadn't dried completely and stuck to the baking sheet between the paint/fabric and iron. It held up very well, didn't lose flexibility through being washed or over time.

what ratio of acrylic:fabric medium did you use? I'm thinking this may be part of my problem, that it's either waaaaay too thick or waaaay too thin.

awapplesauce posted:

Oh that's awful, I'm sorry! Screen-printing paint would probably be at an art supplies store, but you might be able to find it at a Michael's or something.

barraGOUDA posted:

You should be able to find screen printing ink pretty easily at your local art store, but it's online too (Dick Blick, for one). Are you planning on freehanding your design, or are you considering actually going through the whole screen printing process? Here's a tutorial from Instructables if you are...there are kits out there but they can get pretty expensive.

Thanks! I asked a painter friend of mine where I would find some here in town, and she was actually able to not only tell me where to get it, but offered me one of her two (!) screen-printers that she doesn't use much, complete with lessons on how to do it. I may take her up on it later, but for right now I'm just gonna paint it on left-handed (I'm ambidextrous, except when embroidering).

Santclair fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 10, 2008