Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I AM NOT A SLAVE! TO A BREED!! THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!! THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE, THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE
~*~*~*~*~*~*

Santclair posted:

Any suggestions for paints that will work? I tried mixing acrylic and fabric paint, even watering down the acrylic quite a bit, but it wasn't really happening.

Fabric paint, obviously. Screen printing paint might work better since the fabric paints I've used usually end up stiff and home-made-looking (which is never something I want). But from the looks of it, you just used a regular stitch for the embroidery. If you use a backstitch, you'll get a solid, neat line and it should look nicer. Here's how- http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Crafts/Needlecrafts/Howtos/back+stitch.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I AM NOT A SLAVE! TO A BREED!! THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!! THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE, THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE
~*~*~*~*~*~*

Santclair posted:

HIlariously enough, a backstitch is precisely what I used. it kinda sucks...I used to be awesome at hand-stitching (I even have a baby blanket I helped my grandmother make that was entirely hand-embroidered by the two of us). But about six months ago I broke my wrist really badly and hosed up the tendons and the bone, and basically have no motor control in that hand, which of course is my sewing hand. :(

I'll definitely go look into the screen-printing paint though. Is that available at places like Hobby Lobby or will I have to go online?

Oh that's awful, I'm sorry! :( Screen-printing paint would probably be at an art supplies store, but you might be able to find it at a Michael's or something.

Google Embryo posted:

I have a question for knitters. What do any of you know about knitting something that's supposed to be on dpns like socks on two circular needles instead? I got the SnB day calendar for Christmas and today's useful tip mentions something about it. I HATE dpns and would love to do away with them forever if possible! Has anyone tried this method?

I used to hate DPNs but they really aren't as scary as they seem! You just but the stitching on all but one needle, and use that needle for knitting. The knitting gets rotated around the needles. There is a method called "magic loop knitting" that's done with circular needles, but I've found that it ends up messy with big gaps. http://www.knittinghelp.com/ is a great resource with videos and everything.

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*
Here's a prototype purse I made. That's a shadow, not a stripe. It's actually chocolate brown. I probably should have planned better with the bird, since his little legs are sort of cut off on the bottom of the purse.

and some glove puppies! I'm going to make more Bostons to sell in my etsy shop because I love it so much. The boston is Sgt Stubby, and the jack is Mickey.

and a shot of the stubs :3:

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Latte Wench posted:

I think 50 and 54 are adorable. I'd probably use them on a handbag, or maybe 54 in gold thread on a wrap skirt. They'd make nice little details on a lot of projects.

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*

RichBomb posted:

vs.

sure to be an ugly battle, will post results soon.

That machine is so gorgeous. Did you rig up the motor yourself? How does it work?