Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Crocobile posted:

Fabric.com. I've ordered from them and had a good experience, but I've heard they can be inconsistent and check your yardage when you receive it.
Fashion Fabric Club . Haven't tried them yet.
I'm a big fan of Fashion Fabrics Club. Sign up for their email list, they change up what fabrics get marked down all the time. But a great resource for cheap apparel fabrics. I've bought a lot of knits and shirting and twills there. You just have to know what you're looking for, since the pictures and descriptions aren't so hot.
[/quote]

quote:

Hell YES.
I just finished up a rough sketch, and it looks like "a million" is a little exaggerated. I'm looking at about 142 spikes.

Now I just have to decide if I'm doing the black/pink/gold colorway, or tan/green/blue, so I can buy my fabrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Funhilde posted:

Spandex World is awesome

Spandex House as well. And now you can actually order through their new website, instead of having them call you for your CC #.

Update: I've got the leggings and leotard drafted and the spike placements figured out.

My fabric just arrived, so I'm heading into spike making hell now. 121 is the final count, in two sizes.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

*cackles*

My dream of becoming a weird cactus rock person architect man is coming together. This is going to be slow going though, like the waffleshirt there's a lot of trimming/clipping involved, and it hurts my hand. So I'll do an arm, wait a week, do another piece, ect.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

cloudy posted:

Just wanted to say that I don't post in here much, but I love your art-inspired pieces Goldaline. They are an inspiration <3

Ah, man, thank you so much! This is just dumb old cosplay though! Somehow I can't really justify it as 'real' work so I feel a bit silly spending so much time on them. But it's fun I guess, and I get to wear them at conventions!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
That is a Good Zipper for a first zipper! Heck, I'm still kind of bad at zippers, and will use any excuse to avoid them.

Status Update: The Spikening is about halfway done, 60 out of 121 inserted.

In this picture only one sleeve is stuffed, the rest are damp, but since then, they've all been stuffed. Now I get the pleasure of cleaning up the back:

(sorry for the Instagram pic)

Then I can finally get the leotard put together, then move on to the leggings! It's slow going, but I'm happy with how it looks so far.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

I am becoming the cactus man...

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I use it a ton for all my weird appliques, plus things like buttonholes, bartacks, and attaching belt loops. If you're even thinking of touchīng a piece of spandex, the zig zag becomes your best friend.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

NancyPants posted:

I saw a tutorial somewhere that showed the difference between a regular presser foot and a walking foot for zigzags on knits. The walking foot made it almost as flat as a professionally serged seam. Is it possible to get that result on a regular machine with a standard foot?

I keep trying on knits and I'm sure it takes practice, but I can't figure out what to actually do to improve my results.

I don't have a walking foot, so I can't speak to that. But, if you're having a problem with your machine "dragging" knits around when you zig zag them, you might want to make sure your presser foot pressure is much lower than when you're sewing wovens. And for edge finishes/putting my pieces together, I do use a serger, a zig zag never seemed sturdy enough for me.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

theflyingexecutive posted:

I think you should source all of your material from thrift shops.

Yah, this would be my thought as well! Get some big old pants/coats/old upholstery fabric and cut it on up.

Dumb cactus pineapple crop top is finished, and boy I did not enjoy using that scuba knit. It looked like a lumpy mess until I nearly killed it with my iron.

Shorts not a part of the costume, just didn't want my booty hanging out.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

It's coming together!! I'm finally out of Spike Hell! Now onto Poofy Shorts Hell.

Goldaline fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 1, 2017

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I'm sorry to nearly double post, but I am rolling on this hell project. Long story short I couldn't find a floral print that I felt was a good enough match to the shorts in this picture:

So I said, "gently caress it, I'll just make the print myself." Fabric paint would have been the easiest solution, but it wouldn't stick to the 100% plastic scuba knit I was using. So I said "gently caress it." again and decided to applique/embroider it.

Halfway through now and....questioning the wisdom of my decision.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

fart simpson posted:

That looks way better than fabric paint
I agree, I just wish it didn't take so long! that's probably about 15 hours right there. If anyone is interested in the process I post (and sometimes livestream) incessantly on my Instagram while I work.

there wolf posted:

Again I ask how you don't just run around town in all this stuff? Become one of those "fashion men hate" ladies, but with weird anime outfits instead of couture.
I'm a really boring dresser in real life, it's all blue oxfords, flannels and jeans. I like making weird things more than wearing them. Probably part of the reason I started making cosplays instead of just original costumes is because at least there's some kind of venue that I feel comfortable wearing them to (conventions) My other costumes really only get worn for photos.

Goldaline fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 10, 2017

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Theokotos posted:

Goldaline, that looks dope af (as do the spike parts!), just for future reference, there are online services that do custom prints on fabric (though not sure if you could have gotten the specialized fabric in this case). My mom uses one pretty extensively for her work and has been happy with the quality of cotton print fabrics, and she hasn't mentioned them being prohibitively expensive, plus they'll send you swatches for color proofing before finalizing an order.

Ignore me if this is already known info, can't wait to see the finished costume :)

I did think about using Spoonflower, but by the time I drew, painted, scanned and generated a print, got it made, cut it out Broderie Perse style and appliqued it, I don't think it would have really saved any time. And it would have been expensive. I blew most of my budget on the spandex, didn't want to sink too much more into it. Cheap Secret: The fabric I'm using for the appliques is just old t-shirts from the thrift store Dollar Room. Cheap, and easier to find lots of different colors than trying to order a bunch of jersey.

Don't know if there's any fans, but I'm also working on Yuri Katsuki's short program outfit from Yuri on Ice, lots of fun fabrics to struggle with there!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

animeluva1 posted:

You will need to cross post progress shots in ADTRW. I expect passionate katsudon! :swoon:

Okay back to lurking this wonderful thread.

Haha, we are forums opposites, I post here and lurk in the Yuri on Ice thread. Mayyybe once I make some headway with it I'll post it.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I love my 1034D too! The only thing I'll say it's not *great* at is flatlocking. I tried a million tension settings and it was never quite right. But for general serging, it's been a beast, and it's crazy easy to thread compared to other sergers I've used.

Speaking of serging I just whipped up another cosplay, which involved a whole lot of it:

I am the Gay Ice Skate Man! Lemme tell you that working with a layer of power mesh and a layer of fishnet is a real pain, the spray adhesive didn't want to keep them together, so I had to baste the edges of all the pieces together.

Oh, I also made his casual gear because why not? The jacket made me so mad though, it's pattern made no sense, no one would put a piped seam all the way across a back yoke and down both arms. But that's how it was drawn, far as I could tell. I made the shirt from scratch too, but the pants were already pants, I just replace the white in them with teal (which was probably more time consuming than just making new pants.)

Still grinding away at Yotsuyu with two weeks left until Katsucon, aughhh! I thought the hashtag #katsucrunch was a joke, but it's very real.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

effika posted:

That's really amazing! You are giving me inspiration to go beyond hemming my pants.

Can you come and hem mine? I have a pile of like four pairs that have been sitting there for months.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

NancyPants posted:

That jacket! :shlick:

I need it in my life. Did you work out the patterns from scratch?

It's really comfy, and I'll probably wear it after the con, no one needs to know how dorky it is.

For the patterns I used my patented "I Was Never Taught How To Do This" technique, of taking a garment somewhat close (in this case, a hoodie that was on it's way out) and drawing new seams and style lines on it, then cutting it up and using that to draw out the pattern.

The yellow bits are the old hoodie.

My cleaned up pattern. Wtf at that sleeve construction, but it really did seem to have shoulder seams and like, half a raglan sleeve.

I was so mad about the giant piped seam.

Same thing with the body suit, where I had to move some seams around, always hide your construction seams in the applique design if you can!

And I just bunged my legging pattern onto the bottom.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

NancyPants posted:

It looks so good, though. Being able to make cool looking workout/casual clothes is the whole reason I wanted to learn to sew.

It might have been a bitch to sew but that piped seam and unusual construction looks so cool I want to marry it. Once I can sit again you can bet I'll be attempting something similar to that jacket.

I make a lot of workout clothes and t-shirts, it's really easy and so satisfying to be able to make something in a couple hours that I wear all the time. I don't really post about that stuff because it's not very exciting. It wasn't all that hard to sew, really, I was just mad at how weird it was. I was also working off many janky screen caps that all seemed to show slightly different placement of the piping, so that was just sort of my 'gently caress it!' solution.

coyo7e posted:

hold off on your purchase. read up on serger theory (no joke) and once you are familiar enough to eyeball a serger on-sight whether or not it's ample, the start hitting estate sales.. It's almost spring so yard sales and estate sales are coming in hot!

Otherwise expect to drop a grand on a machine you don't even grok (I saw the receipts from my hand-me-down serger and gently caress - I'd never buy one unless i had intended to make sewing stuff into a legit income ASAP)

Mostly lately I'm spending all my time learning CAD software tools, and realizing how amazing using something similarcould be for sewing projects - does anyone have recommendations? I've been learning in :barf: autocad but it sounds as though sketchup or autodesk inventor may be more viable for making patterns (especially in 3d)..?

Adding a true physical load to the emotional connotation of the character here was brilliant, imho. From a design perspective - why the gently caress should someone in an anime/etc costume not be able to perform real tasks and have their kit not split on them? :3:

Your posts own. Even though I can't stand anime or come close to matching your steady hand and technique, I love seeing you work through the solutions to making insanely-awkward outfits and how clean and straight they turn out. You're one of my heroes, seriously.

Haha, thanks. It's a really just a silly reference to the character needing to lose some off-season chub at the start of the show. It was the best picture I had on hand of the top.

My goal is always to make my costumes as close to real clothing as possible-line it, put real pockets on it, basically use all the same construction methods I would to make normal clothes. Using 'real' fabrics is also a big factor I think. Certain fabrics have immediate 'costume' vibes to me. It's why I use a lot of twill, sweatshirt fleece, activewear materials-they have a certain innate 'integrity' This was easy to do that with, since it was all sports wear based. Yotsuyu (the spiky mess posted further up) is really pushing it for me, the metallic spandex means I can't even machine wash it, which sucks. Sometimes I think this 'realism' makes my costumes a little less...impactful? Dramatic? But that's OK, I'm not here to win contests, I just like the process of translating things into clothing.

Sorry, I started drifting into Artist Statement stuff (though really it's just me justifying spending time making silly stuff instead of 'real art' by trying to give it some relation to my other work)

Anyway I wanna do this next/soon:

Oh, and I think I've seen people use pepakura programs to make sewing patterns? I dunno, I'm a very 2d thinker/pattern maker so that's very out of my expertise.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Hello I've been making Very Weird Underwear lately (I mean, also cosplay but I've been posting that in the cosplay thread)

I guess I'll link it since there is some butts and some nip and my weird ol' body so click at yer own risk.

:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:

Stained Glass Bodysuit

https://imgur.com/6H7C7Jh
https://imgur.com/2TCRw0X
https://imgur.com/8kkmJul

Drippy Drawers

https://imgur.com/RRDFyo0
https://imgur.com/6wArr89

Celestial Set

https://imgur.com/rruAD49
https://imgur.com/maOARp1

I've also finally managed to get a decent professional website set up, so you can see my work without digging through my disaster of a social media presence.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Thank you guys! I didn't know if it was just too weird to post those here so I'm glad you like 'em

Sage Grimm posted:

I appreciate the half moon on the half moon.

LOL I had to do it. I wanted to do a key hole on the butt and the moon shape was just...too perfect. The rest of the design came from there.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I love the Celestial underwear so much.

And those wrestling unitards! ...I see these and think "maybe I COULD make my own bike jerseys," and then look at my sewing history and get realistic again.

Spandex is really not that hard to work with and I find the stretch really forgiving because I'm not a super precise sewer. As long as you have a serger I don't see why you couldn't.

cloudy posted:

I know! I am consistently impressed with how artistic and well-designed your work is, Goldaline. I know a lot is cosplay inspired which is really cool as well, especially because that forces the design to get pushed to these extreme places you don't normally see! I've even randomly seen you on twitter, maybe because we are just in the same kind of circles/demographics but I find that SO COOL! YOU ARE DOING SO GOOD THE WEBSITE LOOKS AWESOME!!

Yeah it's been a bit of a loop, I was doing kind of 'art garments' and regular clothes, then got into cosplay (where I was informed by the traditional techniques I'd previously learned) and then went back to doing original pieces like this (informed by the experimental techniques that I'd figured out trying to do some really stupid designs in cosplay) I'm kinda just starting out on Twitter but a couple things have blown up a bit? I'm trying to understand social media a bit better but I don't think I'll ever be very good at it.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Theokotos posted:

All the stuff you posted is boss as hell, I really liked the stained glass body suit. I’ve been altering pre-existing clothes to fit me, and making repairs for years, and am just now dipping my toes in making my own underwear. It’s hard!

I also suck at social media, but at least with instagram/Twitter I’ve had success with planning my posts out ahead of time, as in saying “I’ll post twice a day” then planning those out a month in advance. Like meal planning, but with posts.

Underwear is tricky, but at least the time/material investment is small! This all started because I end up with lots of small off cuts of spandex from my cosplays and wanted to use them up.

I post a lot of WIPs which people seem to enjoy, but I work on things at...non peak hours (no one is online at 8AM but me I think) and get too excited to wait to post.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Funhilde posted:

Yeah I'm totally loving the custom undergarments. I have had some ideas but my Spandex sewing skills are still very lacking.

It's really not difficult to work with I think just very different! I use a combo of Pellon 542, EZ Steam and spray adhesive to keep everything together and stable...I'm hoping soon to do some video tutorials on it, I finally got a camera capable of video.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
These are slightly less nsfw so hopefully it's ok to just post them inline...after seeing a lot of cosplayers struggle with really improbably thigh high designs, I decided to put my mind to making a one-piece legging with a mesh top that would give the *illusion* of a thigh high without any of the struggle of them falling down/cutting in. The art nouveau style garter and matching velvet underwear was just for fun, this was mostly a "proof of concept" to drum up commissions.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Funhilde posted:

I really need to come up with something to commission you to do.

Hahaha, I mean, I've got tons of ideas that I can't justify doing otherwise if you can't think of anything. Do you want a parquet inspired bodysuit??

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That sounds rad as gently caress. gently caress yeah I wanna feel like a fancy floor!

I found two shades of wood print spandex and I've been fixated on the idea ever since. I'm also playing with ways to insert 3-D shapes like stuffed spikes or studs and I think mixing the 3-D optical illusion you see in parquet with actual 3-D shapes could be wild.

You could also do something utilizing the sheer stretch mess to have a pattern start to "come apart" or "explode" around the body which could be very cool??

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I've done a fair amount of servicing on my machine--including removing old rotting belts and re oiling and what not, but I have a very basic old Bernina that only does straight stitch and zig zag and it's very much set up to be easy to open up and repair.

I've been mostly doing cosplay sewing so I haven't posted too much here lately? But I've also done some commission and applique work...

Commission for a pair of leggings I got after someone saw my stained glass bodysuit. I love the jewel-tone colors they went with.

DMMD iron-on patch commission, I know...nothing about this series but it was a fun design to make.

Badges for my Gappy cosplay, I've started playing with dimension in my applique work, there's some interesting effects...

Another commission in progress for a Jolyne badge.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Get them Schmetz for cheap from Wawak. Actually buy all your thread, elastic and notions from Wawak.

**not sponsored by Wawak they just rule and are far cheaper than normal sewing supply places.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

FISHMANPET posted:

What's a good place online to get good zippers? I'll probably be needing a black invisible zipper longer than the 22" I can get at joanns. Also I find their zipper selection lacking and kind of expensive, so wondering where people get their zippers.

Wawak, the answer for notions is always wawak.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Also double posting but I'm back on my Weird Sports/Swim/Underwear bullshit. Pretty SFW even if it doesn't look like it at first glance? Thinking about the contrasts between fabric meant for ease of movement and the appearance of a restrictive garment?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Yeah it's really just so you can get your head through the neck hole? Usually the pattern will advise the zipper length too.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I continue to make weird underwear, it seems to be finding me a niche audience and I get more commission requests than I ever have before, wow.

Linked for just barely not quite :nsfw:

Gift Wrapped set for the Holidays
https://imgur.com/1NaXykZ
https://imgur.com/JY6mIHM

Angel Set because....I love weird angel poo poo.
https://imgur.com/ei3Q1SZ
https://imgur.com/xnx8r4n

I'm back to cosplay for the moment though, working on Chrom Fire Emblem at the moment.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

BonerGhost posted:

Awesome as always. Btw, your makeup kicks rear end.

How'd you get the leggings to stay up? Is that a spandex band?

Thank you! I'm slowly getting better at make up, I've never really worn it until I started to do cosplay. And the thigh highs are definitely toupee-taped to my legs or else they'd be falling right down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Hutla posted:

Can I ask where I should order some all purpose thread online? Amazon seems overrun with questionable quality variety packs and my local sewing shop is closed until ??? I don’t really want to drive an hour+ for some thread. I just want to hem some stuff up on my machine and I only ever bothered to hand sew repairs before but it’s stretchy material so I figure I should zigzag it. There are too many options!

Wawak for all your thread, button, zipper and other notion needs you will save so much money.