Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Pure wool is made out of just wool and an acrylic-wool blend is made out of wool and acrylic? That's like asking about the difference between a strawberry smoothie and a strawberry-banana smoothie. Or do you mean how are the properties different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm thinking about getting into quilting. I understand a lot of design/garment-y stuff because I knit, but I haven't sewn since home ec, except to fix hems and buttons and tiny, tiny stuff like that. How realistic is it for me to make a full-size quilt -- what's the learning curve going to be like? Is there a quilting version of Ravelry? What percentage of quilters aren't smug women who go by MommyofKaylee2007 and spend more time talking about what their DH said to their DIL? I mean, uh, are there any good resources I should check out as a beginner?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

handbags at dawn posted:

Craftster isn't too bad - there is a small amount of that kind of crap, plus too much "I made a Mario quilt for my boyfriend!" for my taste, but you can get some good tips there plus an active community that can answer questions.

I'd say a full-size quilt off the bat would be a little much, especially if you're planning on quilting it yourself. Crib or lap sized quilts would be what I'd go for at first.

As far as learning curve, if you know how to use your machine and stitch a straight seam, it's just a matter of learning a new set of rules.

edit: I got the majority of a quilt top done when we had snow earlier this month. Now I just have to piece the border:

That's an awesome optical illusion!

And yeah, I know I need to learn a lot. I guess I was under the impression it was mostly about piecing, and then you brought it somewhere to have it sewn to the backing, but it turns out oh hey, there are other steps too! What is this pressing business!

madlilnerd posted:

I made a pretty much full size single quilt as my first quilt. I went to the Quilter's Cache, which is a site full of block patterns (and awful auto-starting music if I remember correctly).
"Aw, a 1997 website made by some crafty little old lady." Two clicks away -- Kansas Trouble indeed :stare:

quote:

You can search by difficulty, I started with the maple leaf block. It all depends how fiddily you want to get, but I say find a design you like and jump straight it. That's what I did. My first quilt wasn't great because I didn't press enough, so my advice to you is PRESS YOUR SEAMS LOTS. From my experience, I would say it's easier to start with blocks, then if you gently caress up, you've only ruined one block.

Oh, and get a book on quilting out of the library and have a good read, don't splash out on super expensive fabric and have fun. If you get frustrated with it, take a breather, it's supposed to be fun.
My library doesn't have any books, but I tried to ILL a few. I'm not really sure which are good, though.

I'm pretty sure I want to do a Flying Geese design, something like this (I would need to reorder the pieces, and I'm sure I'll wind up using totally different fabric, but the general idea is white, tone-on-tone black, lots of grays/silvers with some cobalt blue):

So the fact that you did a real quilt right away is reassuring!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Does anyone own/have experience with knitting machines?

I've seen the cheap ones in craft stores, but they seem gimmicky. But maybe there are nice ones? What can you do with them? Anything beyond making custom sweater-knit fabrics? Worth it? Model recommendations?
We have a knitting thread, and there tends to be some crossover between handknitting and machine knitting, so it's worth asking there. The cheap ones are definitely cheap and not worth it imo. The nicest ones allow for much more control, obviously, but there are still a bunch of handknitting techniques that I don't think they're able to do that would be important for a nice garment. If your goal is to crank out scarves, sure. If you want to make really custom-fitted sweaters, I think you'll still have to take shortcuts that would make it not worthwhile to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know if you knit, but there are a ton of resources there about this stuff. The obvious general rule is to make something that fits and flatters when it's being worn. It will probably look weird on a hanger, but who cares.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm really not looking forward to summer being a million degrees this year. Can you recommend any summer patterns for a relative beginner? I'd love any other tips -- the coolest kinds of fabric, where to source them, which are appropriate for which pieces, etc. I'm in NYC if it helps.

My main problem with RTW is that I need office-appropriate stuff: top/dress sleeves either near the elbow, or like a cami intended to be worn with a cardigan, and dress/skirt length past the knee. I just want to avoid death by heat stroke!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I just sewed a rayon challis tank top -- my first garment! -- and when I put it in the washer, the fabric shredded. I was using a top-loader, short/gentle cycle, cold water, and I washed it alone so it didn't get tangled or messed up by anything sturdier. I hung it to dry, but by that time the damage was done.

How do you wash what you sew? Do you seriously handwash everything? I want to make wearable everyday clothes, so I don't see that happening...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I know this one by hard won experience. :(

Fabric shrinks, rayon can shrink by 20%. What happened was it shrank and the stitches pulled the fabric apart.

You need to pre-wash and iron all your fabric before you sew, and then as you go along use an iron with the steam off (I use a travel iron) on all of your seams to set the stitches.
At each step I ironed more than I have ever ironed in my life, cumulatively :qq:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What really shredded was the bias tape on the neck and armholes. You would think an edge frayed until it tore out of the seam, but it didn't! The fabric in the center of the bias tape (so top after application) just shredded. The seams are okay. :iiam:

I also left raw edges on internal seams, those frayed like a beast and I'm not gonna leave them raw again, but at least that's something that seems avoidable in future.

Fwiw I also have a bunch of RTW rayon challis tops of comparable thinness that have held up great in the same washer, less carefully handled. Does Cotton + Steel have lovely weak fabric or??

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The hula hoop version (with panels like a hot air balloon's) would be pretty collapsible. It's a popular costume, so you can see a bunch of versions and methods online (protip: -site:pinterest.com)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, it's a sphere for the Violet Beauregard costume.

Ignore the waist measurement if you want it to go out from the hips. And you want to be thinking surface area rather than circumference. Also, you're better off laying out the actual shapes in a drawing, because A, seam allowance, and B, you don't want to be playing tangrams with fabric because you bought the exact number of square inches it requires.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Still voting for vertical panels

Anne Whateley posted:

The hula hoop version (with panels like a hot air balloon's) would be pretty collapsible. It's a popular costume, so you can see a bunch of versions and methods online (protip: -site:pinterest.com)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This style of shaver. If you go slowly and work on flat/taut surfaces, it's very difficult to gently caress up the piece. With the sandpaper block style, I totally ruined a pair of jeans, and a razor is too risky imo. I use my shaver for things I've knit, so my #1 goal is not loving them up.

I actually have a much smaller one for detail. While it'll be inefficient for anything as big as a blanket, it makes it much easier to focus on the spot you're working on, raise it slightly over a line of raised stitches, etc. Because it is cheap af, it occasionally pauses until you unscrew the cover and poke out the small fuzz glob, but if that's the worst it does, sign me up

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 2, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
In case people only subscribe to this thread, I just wanted to let you know about the new DIY discord that we can use as a backup

1) join https://discord.gg/UuS3ehc
2) get your userid https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/206346498-Where-can-I-find-my-User-Server-Message-ID-
3) post it in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929094

Once you're verified, you can see everything going on. I'm hoping there can be a knitting/sewing channel

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That seems like an excellent thing to order from a professional and get your money back if they gently caress up. Customink.com is a big name, but you can just search "custom sweatshirt no minimum" for lots of options

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can do whatever you want sewing, but yes those conventions are usually followed in basic RTW. Check out some basic dress shirts next time you go to the store and see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You could pop in a drawstring pretty easily if you wanted