Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

RichBomb posted:

But in the mean time I have a 7 by 7 airplane munitions box that I need to convert into a cutting and ironing table. I've been told that plywood with 1 - insul bright 2 - cotton batting (for extra padding) 3 - cotton twill will do me well for the ironing bit and just to get cutting mats for the other side. Any suggestions?
I was going to say this sounds great to me but I'm a quilter, not a tailor, and so I only cut on cutting boards with a rotary cutter (making the mat necessary). I see that the grain board squirellypoo has linked is a padded gridded surface, is that more for tailors? (I almost said seamstress and thought better of it!)

Click here for the full 420x604 image.

This is a quilt top I finished recently. The colors are a little off in this picture, and I just realized when I took it I didn't have the side borders put on yet, sorry. I'm in the process of quilting it at the moment, and am really regretting my decision to stitch in the ditch. There's a lot of ditches.

I've finished about five quilts of varying sizes. My family is very warm.

I also made a "tea wallet" for a friend of mine at her request, apparently it can hold tea bags:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

And then I got carried away and changed the dimensions a little and the wallet holds credit cards:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

RichBomb posted:

Anyways, new sewing studio on the way, currently building the cutting/ironing table. I bolted my industrial to the ground the otherday which was loving righteous.
Be sure and post pictures of the setup when it's done, I love seeing that kind of stuff and I know I can't be alone.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I have to say that is the manliest sewing area ever - you are lucky to have that much room!

Plus you need to tell me where you live so I can come steal that Singer, dang.

ps Nice label :)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

meche posted:

Any other quilters out there? I've just had a hand quilting lesson, so am eager to try this out on a project. I love the simple/naive look of the hand quilting.
Yay! Love the fabrics, it looks really nice. I'm too impatient to hand quilt - I do have a nice, small, almost invisible stitch, all that needlework in my past paid off there, but I do have a completed top that I'm thinking of quilting in perle cotton with big stitches. Something like this, where the stitches are meant to be visible:

What are you binding that quilt in, because a red would look really nice.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

moana posted:

The sewing part is making the top layer of fabric (sewing together all the pieces to make the pattern). The quilting part is putting that fabric together with batting and backing material, and sewing all of that together - that's the wavy kind of stitches you can see on the quilt. It's the part that's not-as-creative, but still difficult to do correctly.
Actually people usually say "pieced" and "quilted" because really they're both sewing. And quilting can be mad creative: http://i43.tinypic.com/kamjcy.jpg

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Acc-Risk posted:

On a side note. A serging question... Every time I use it, there's always an extra string that ends up caught underneath somewhere. So when I finish, I have six strings. The stitches are perfect though. It's just an annoyance. Any idea what may be happening? It's not a terribly expensive serger (Kenmore)
I don't have a serger myself but have tinkered with my mom's a little, so all I know to ask is have you threaded it in the correct order? Crafster.org has a good forum for these kinds of questions if you don't get an answer from someone here. (Sewing in General/Sewing Machines: Discussion and Questions)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
God no, that's not mine (the whole cloth quilt). I'd never have the patience to do even a small bit of that. The other picture I posted I'd had bookmarked because I have some of that same fabric and am trying to get ideas.

Now that I look at your quilt again, I think that blue was a good choice, because the blue does stand out. I just like red a lot. :)

I am in the process right now of making a very loud red white and blue bargello quilt. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/3453998962_9286149cb2_b.jpg

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Actually, it's kind of a fooler - you sew these huge panels of strips together into a tube, cut the panels apart in those widths, and then pick the tube apart at the color you want on top. So there are no tiny pieces, just loooong strips to sew together.

The quilt rack is my mother's. (You can see her longarm quilting machine behind the rack.) She owns a shop that has quilting stuff in the back, which is how I got into this in the first place. I went from taking a class to humor her in Jan 08 to now where I have 6 completed quilts and 3 tops ready to quilt. It is a disease.

What kind of machine did you get?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

meche posted:

Ah, that doesn't sound too bad - great effect.

I got a Janome 6600 - not a professional one, but good enough for me! I got a good deal on it because I bought it at a craft show. I did have a tiny little Brother which did me well, but I couldn't do any quilting on it. The new one is massive and metal! I was surprised how heavy (and big!) it was.

I agree, it's a disease. My mum suggested I should make quilts to use my piles of fabric, and I've just kept going! She's created a monster.
That looks like a great machine - a friend of mine has a Janome and she really likes it. Did yours come with the table attachment? I have a Brother 6000i which is not as good as that at home, but my mother has started selling Baby Lock machines at her shop, so I get to use the floor models, which means I have been sewing on an Espire that has a huge table and a deep throat. (that part always sounds suspicious) I haven't gotten up the nerve to use her longarm quilting machine yet.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

meche posted:

It did. and I didn't use it straight away, but now I can't live without it! That's awesome you get to play with machines! I'd love to give a longarm a go - they look scary, but a lot of fun.

Can I ask, am I the only one who has to have multiple quilts on the go, or else I get bored????
I have a very short sewing attention-span, so I have about ten projects of varying sizes going on. Which is good, because if I want to work on something hard I have a project, if I want a no-brainer I can work on some placemats I'm making. Having way too much fun.

district 12 - love the skirt and love the idea of gloves being containers, for some reason I'd never thought of them that way. :)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I like making quilt blocks, but I hate all that cutting out- I measure and use scissors and end up spending 45mins cutting and then 10mins actually sewing. Are there any shops that sell it all cut out ready for you to piece? Or is there any other way I can reduce the cutting time?
Rotary cutter.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

wwjebusdo posted:

I LOVE making bargello quilts...even though I really don't like the way they look. Its one of the few times for me its really about the creation process and not the end result.

(yours looks great though, don't mind my irrational prejudice)
No, I know where you're coming from. This was a class, I don't think I would have chosen this pattern myself. I don't like the way the pieces change width - I think if I do another one, the widths will all be the same.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
That is sweet. Especially all the feet! And in such good shape. I am so jealous. :)

edit to add: my daughter made a chicken pincushion today

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

kanteyluip posted:

What did she stuff it with?
We just stuffed them with polyfil halfway down, then the bottom is plastic pellets (like beanie babies). They don't need dense stuffing to hold pins, because they are made of quilted blocks. I ended up making four of them, she ended up making two. (god only knows what I am going to do with four chicken pincushions) You can see from the picture that previously she's been making things with beads and floss - all her friends have multiple bracelets and chokers. I also finally taught her how to thread the machine and wind bobbins. She's almost 11. We're having fun.

So jealous at these old machines. I've had opportunities to get a couple, but I never do because of space concerns.

edit: here is one of my stupid chickens http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3540352187_323c5f4c6a.jpg

handbags at dawn fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 18, 2009

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Ozma posted:

Troubleshooting:

I'm putting together a fleece blanket/quilt thing for a friend, and I ended up with some thicker batting than what I usually use in this sort of thing. I have two problems:

a) Because the fabric is so thick, I'm not putting the presser foot down. Though if I do, it doesn't seem to matter- what happens is, every couple of inches, I get an extra little loop of bobbin thread on the underside.

b) Even with a denim needle, it's cramming up and I'm getting bunched up bobbin thread until it clogs the machine and I can't do anything anymore.

It's a workhorse of a machine otherwise- normally I have very little trouble sewing through thick things (I made an Amy Butler overnight bag- notorious for being extremely thick/annoying- and had no issues really).

I've adjusted tension. I guess the one thing I haven't tried yet is just covering the feed dogs. Would that make a difference? Is there just a bobbin issue that's not even really related to this? I have noticed when working on another quilting project (just putting the squares together, not actually quilting yet) that the seams aren't even. But when I mess with the tension either way, nothing is happening. :(

It's a singer, I can't remember the model offhand though I'm sure that would make a difference.
On the bobbin thread looping - does your bobbin have a little case that it goes into, like this? http://visual.merriam-webster.com/images/arts-architecture/crafts/sewing/bobbin-case.jpg Because a lot of those have their own tension you can set besides just the machine's tension.

On the thick quilt - You could put the feed dogs down as if you were free motion quilting, you would just have to watch and keep your speed regular because the feed dogs aren't doing that for you. The feed dogs are trying to do their job but they can't do it right as they aren't getting the pressure from the foot on top of the fabric. That's why lots of newer machines won't even let you sew unless the presser foot is down. Or you could get a walking foot - it has feed dogs on the top so the quilt "sandwich" gets pulled forward from the top and bottom. http://www.sew-stitch-learn.com/images/walkingfoot.JPG You may also see it called an even-feed foot. Mine was only $14.99 and was worth so much more. My only gripe with it is that you are pretty much limited to straight stitches, maybe a tiny zigzag but not much more.

As for the seams not being even on the other project, do you have a picture to show what it's doing? I don't know what you mean.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
poo poo, I didn't even notice the denim needle part! Yeah, switch to a universal or quilting needle, you'll be much happier.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You people are loving killing me with these machines, I swear to god. I can't help you with the machine. I just had to get that out of my system. :sigh:

I made a bag:

It was the easiest thing I've ever sewn, sewing the handles on creates the outside pockets.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Ozma posted:

Everyone was desperately awaiting my update, but I switched out the needle, took apart the bobbin casing and made sure everything was clean/OK, and tried again--- everything is back to normal, and the quilt is finished.

Then, 5 minutes after finishing it and putting it on the floor to examine, the cat ran over it with her razor sharp back claws and used it as some sort of launch pad and ripped two huge holes in the goddamn thing. gently caress.
I was awaiting your update, but it didn't have the ending I wanted! :cry:

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Viet Timh posted:

But I've been using tropical shirt fabric for pocket material on all my pants for the last few years.
You get definite points for the pocket material - why not have a little fun if you're doing so much work? :)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You might also ask local jewelers - they might not do that kind of work, but there's always the chance they know someone who does.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
He looks absurdly happy to be included in your camping trip! :3:

Wish me luck as I am teaching a sewing class to six 11-year-old girls tonight. They will be making the little bag I posted a picture of up at the middle of this page. Hopefully they will not eat me alive.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Yay more quilts being made :) Ozma, I have the banana fabric that goes with those monkeys.

I took a class last month and learned how to make these blocks:

And my daughter made a fleecy bunny-thing pillow yesterday:

I am currently making what may be the world's loudest quilt, a nine-patch affair made with Kaffe Fassett and batik fabric. If it doesn't break my camera lens, I will subject you to a picture of it.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Ozma posted:

Granny got it, but I've seen similar prints at the smaller fabric stores here (I actually found something very similar for another scrap quilt I made recently). I'll dig around my scrap bag for the edges to see if that sheds any light on the deal.
It's a several-years-continuing line put out by Moda - "Funky Monkey" by Erin Michaels.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/Funky-Monkey-Fabric-Sock-Monkey-Fabrics-Moda.asp

They (Moda) use the sock monkey as kind of an unofficial mascot on some advertising stuff.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/images/images_499/FunkyMonkey-15070-12-450.jpg

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
If you don't have access to a quilting machine and you're making a blocky-type quilt, tying may be the way to go for you. http://home.howstuffworks.com/tying-quilts.htm It's not so good for intricate blocks, but for a quilt like Ozma showed with the monkeys or one like in that link, it's a quick way to quilt. Just pay attention to the batting you get - typically it'll tell you how close or far apart you can get. The batting I usually like to use is thicker and heavier than polyester batting and you can quilt as far as 10 inches apart which is nice and makes things quicker. (plus I don't like a lot of busy quilting, I tend to like boxes and long lines)

As far as fabric? If you're not someone who's picky about brand new fabric, garage sales, old clothes, sheets, tablecloths, napkins, anything that catches your eye. Like Goldaline said, especially if you like a vintage look. If you like packs that have a lot of variety, I've seen some scrap packs on Etsy or eBay and some on-line fabric stores will sometimes sell "scrap bags" by the pound.

I'm too impatient to do anything by hand. :blush: I think it's because I did needlework for so long and it's nice to have projects I can finish in days or weeks instead of months or years.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
The only reason you have to watch out for fabrics of different fibers in quilting (as part of the quilt top) is the shrinking aspect - you don't want the fabrics shrinking at different rates. (that's my understanding, tell me if I'm wrong!)

I recognize a couple of those books, Goldaline, and I'm in love with that shirt with the braid on it.

Hardanger and openwork were always my favorite. It seems like I always gave away most of my projects, but I did know where one was even though it was folded up. It's Ukranian openwork, I took a guild correspondence course years ago. I'll link the pictures because I think I post too many pictures!

http://i28.tinypic.com/2jadvcw.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/1zcmsy9.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2jbp8wz.jpg

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I suspect it's the color that's making you think of gorilla legs. For what it's worth, I looked at the picture before reading the text and thought "bird legs!"

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You may be trying to go too fast? Slow the machine down.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Very nice leaves :)

Don't worry about a "squishy quilt" - the batting I have been using is a flat batting and it makes for a nice flat quilt that holds warmth in the winter but can be cool in the summer if you don't put a flat sheet on the bed. I would pre-wash and dry the fleece before quilting with it just in case of shrinkage. (unless you would be going for that, some people do)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

Handbags at dawn- in my ditziness, I didn't prewash any of the fabrics or the fleece I used to I haven't got a clue about shrinkage or colour runs. If I give instructions to only wash at low temperatures and to use a colour catcher sheet to catch any dye runs, do you think it will be safe? Or should I tell MY BOYFRIEND to handwash only?
Where did you get the fabric? And what was it intended for? Because a lot of the manufacturers that are making fabric meant for quilters - that fabric doesn't need to be pre-washed as much unless it's hand-dyed, really. I've made about 10 quilts now since I started last year, haven't pre-washed anything, and wash the quilts in hot water. (I don't make a quilt if it's not going to be used, my skill level isn't high enough to display anything on a wall!)

I was only concerned about the fleece shrinking because I have no experience using it. Is it the woven "sweatshirt" kind of fleece or the fleece that gets made into those little "tied edge" blankets?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Fabric is more expensive over there, I never can tell if it's just one of those things that's inexplicably more expensive in England or if quilting is not as popular there and kind of a "niche" thing.

That kind of fleece probably won't shrink anymore than any regular batting and I would think it would make a nice snuggly quilt. :3:

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
It's an interesting theory. I'd be interested to know exactly what the reason is myself. My in-laws were just here visiting from England last month and my mother-in-law was fascinated by me wanting to do quilting and needlework, which I found odd as I know she just sewed a very nice set of drapes (and got a lot of pleasure out of it). I guess if it's utilitarian it's not seen as a hobby?

Meanwhile, my daughter has got me making sock monkeys. I didn't know they still made those kind of socks and now I have 6 pairs of them waiting to become monkeys!

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I have really only one local fabric store, but the internet is great. (I have to laugh at your 20 miles outside London when I drove 90 miles to go to the movies Saturday though...it's all a matter of scale I guess) I really don't have anything to contribute to the conversation, I'm mostly just sitting here thinking how loving sweet a quilt made out of sari fabric would be.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Heavy iron-on interfacing? Heat'n Bond Ultra is a good heavy-duty iron-on adhesive, but you can't sew through it (although I'd imagine you could cut it carefully to sew around it). I've also used something called InnerFuse - it's iron-on and stiff (people sometimes use it to make fabric bowls of all things) but you can still sew through it.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Cawie McFuckyou posted:

So my question is, is it a horrible, disastrous idea to go out shopping for quilt fabric without a definite plan? I'm not sure how much fabric I need, as it is much smaller than a normal quilt and I'm not sure know how many different fabrics I will end up using. I had planned on just buying a yard or two of whatever I liked, depending on how many different fabrics I end up with, and yay for leftovers.
It's not something I would do without at least having a type of pattern in mind, though, I mean me personally. Because the type of pattern dictates what kind of print you're going to use (big or small or none at all) - also colors and styles. If you were going to make something with pieced blocks versus something with big blocks of fabric, it does make a difference on what you pick.

If you just want to buy some fabric to "fondle," as a friend of mine says, buy fat quarters or half-yard pieces. It's easier on the wallet and you get to see how things you like look next to each other and in your house before you end up with two yards of some fabric you hated once you got it home. (I unfortunately speak from experience here.)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I usually don't care much for your stuff but that is loving gorgeous.

edit: that came out harsher than I meant it to, I just am not au courant with art pieces :)

handbags at dawn fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 30, 2009

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I finally finished something (well, almost - it's not bound yet). Made for someone else who has much different taste in colors than I do. First attempt at using a longarm quilting machine.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Thank you, I liked the effect of the pattern but not a fan of that color scheme. Might do it again with bright batiks. :)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
The machine specs usually say "backstitch" instead of "reverse stitch," that may help you when looking. Post pictures of what you get! :)

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
No help on the interfacing, but did want to say that if that is her in the dress, that is the perfect color and very flattering to her, job well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

edit2: I forgot to ask; do any of you know how many tbsp are in one of their 2oz jars? I'm trying to figure out how much I'll need for my project.
it's a powder, right? there's 1/2 oz in one tablespoon.