Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Do you want a circle cloak type thing or just a superman style cape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I really like magnetic purse clasps for that kind of thing, if you're attaching to a specific costume that would be nice and easy, they're strong and easy to get in a sew-on variety

if you want the cape to kinda cowl/drape between the shoulders in the back you would also want to make it wider than your shoulders at that point. Then when you bring the edges of the cape in, you get that drape effect. You'll need less of that U cutout as well. Luckily it's easy to play around with before you do any cutting.
2nding the wedge shape, that gives a nicer flow/drape than a straight rectangle

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
https://www.simplififabric.ca/ and https://www.fabcycle.shop/ are my current go-tos for fabric in Canada. Fabcycle is specifically deadstock which is a nice touch, and they get some neat stuff out of old mills sometimes.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

YggiDee posted:

Fabcycle has some lovely selections, and also for three dollars they'll apparently just throw in a box of whatever fabric they have lying around and my chronically indecisive ADHD rear end appreciates it.

I love it since I usually like to start with a material and get inspired from there, and they get some unusual things that can be put to fun use. A friend of mine regularly gets their scrap boxes to make into little quilted bags.

Really the only downside is their fabric classification can be a bit hit or miss, but the same can be said of a lot of retail fabric stores.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I've never seen a draft laid out like that but I'd lean to the same assumption as you. Is it from a book? Sometimes they'll have a little section about how they write drafts to avoid confusion.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

BonerGhost posted:

It's from Ashford's magazine and I'd hoped for a key like that, but I've had no such luck in this issue or on their website.

I found this article on lift plans vs tieup & treadling on their website that pretty consistently refers to the table loom version specifically as the lift plan so seems like that's the right idea.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

BonerGhost posted:

It's not quite as crooked as it looks in the pic, but I'm probably beating it too tightly.
I generally stick to my inkle or tablets for belts but the one time I used my floor loom I did find it tricky to not beat too hard. Are you using the beater bar or a belt shuttle?

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I'm not used to thinking of belts in terms of epi at all, usually I'm using thrums or cards to keep the threads in order and just adjust my selvedge until I like the feel of the belt. I'm also usually just winging it on my inkle loom as a little one off and not actually following a plan. Weaving is like 90% gently caress around and find out, so I say go for it and see if you get some results you like.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I’ve had to fix a weird variety of things and have some suggestions.

*note, I suggest materials that absolutely require proper ventilation.

Since it’s vinyl, I’d secure the patch with rubber cement or similar, then stitch the edges using an upholstery needle, just to prevent that annoying edge peel up that adhesive only solutions get. Potentially finish with another glue like e6000 over the stitches, depending on if it looks like the vinyl may tear where the new stitches puncture the fabric, or if I just want that edge extra secured.

The rubber cement makes it easier to fit the patch, but also (more importantly) distributes any forces evenly across a larger area, making your patch far stronger, particularly with vinyls.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Sounds like a good start, plus you can build up a good idea of what you want as different fixes fail in their own unique ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Glue sticks are fantastic for temporarily stabilizing applique as well, especially with stretch fabric.