Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chryselephantine
Apr 13, 2007

digging up bones
A question about quilting:

How difficult would it be to work with jersey knits for a quilt? First off, I've never quilted before but I do enjoy sewing - I've thought about trying quilting before. The reason I am more interested now is that I heard about someone in my area who makes quilts out of t-shirts. I would absolutely LOVE to have a quilt made from some of my kids' favorite baby and toddler clothes. Is this something a novice could aspire to or should I just pay to have the pro do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chryselephantine
Apr 13, 2007

digging up bones

boscokitty posted:

I just watched my mom make a t-shirt quilt for someone, and I would definitely say pay the pro to do it, but ask to see some examples of their work first. (Well, that's true of anything you're paying someone else to do.)

For one thing, the knits are very slippy to work with, and some of the thicker printing on the t-shirts was hard to quilt through. It was hard enough to keep the t-shirt material straight for piecing, and they were big pieces - baby clothes will mean smaller and more pieces to sew together. My 2 cents.

Thanks. I had figured that was probably the case, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.