Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

district 12 posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can even out the stitches for the next one?

You can use a "C-Thru" ruler (clear with gridded measurements printed on it, C-Thru is the brand) and mark each place where the needle will go through (Like every 1/4" or 1/8" ). Personally I'd go about 1/4"-3/8" away from the raw edge, with a stitch at every 1/8". If you want to sell these things though, I'd advise you to learn to use a machine. Whereas it would probably take you at least an hour by hand, with a machine you could sew this in less than five minutes. Although if you just are doing it for fun and don't care if you're working for sweatshop wages, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

Cool thread. I've been handsewing since I was little, and machine sewing for about 12 years. Knitting and crocheting for about 2 years. Now I'm in my last semester going for my BFA in Fashion Design, and working on my awesome senior collection which is full of steel-boned corsets and hoopskirts (and a little bit of handknits) XD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Goldaline posted:

Philadelphia Flower Show.

Sup Philly goon :) what school? I go to Moore. Congrats on that btw... your work is really interesting.

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Goldaline posted:

really dumb question, but is it true that Moore sucked all the queer girls out of Uarts? Because they don't exist here :smith:

Hahaha, it's entirely possible given our all-female ways and feminist leanings. There are quite a few lesbians and probably a lot more bi girls here. And even the straight ones are 99.9% feminists (not bra-burners, you know, normal ones. Myself included.)

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Do you have a pattern you use for the bustle? I've been meaning to try my hand at one for a while now but I don't know where to look.
A few companies to google are Truly Victorian, Mantua Maker, Past Patterns, Ageless Patterns. Even Butterick has one. To get you started this website has a pretty good source of reviews of patterns, mostly historical: http://www.gbacg.org/GreatPatternReview/index.htm
As you may guess I'm very much into historical garments :) If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer. Maybe I'll post a GWS-esque thread with pics on making a corset if I get around to it.

About the machine tension, off hand my suggestions would be change the needle, and clean/dust the machine to make sure there's no lint. Also, rethread every thread, maybe something came off.

DeliciousDarkness fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 8, 2008

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

squirrellypoo posted:

Anyone here ever attempt lingerie or swimwear before? Any tips?

We did swimwear last year in school. I didn't do any underwired stuff, apparently it is quite a challenge to fit. If you are doing a mockup/muslin, make it in the same fabric as your final garment - no two spandexes have the same stretch exactly (well, I'm sure maybe they do... but this is what we were told).

If you don't have a serger (preferred), use a medium-size zigzag with a ballpoint or spandex needle. Stretch the fabric a bit when you sew, not too much though. Let the machine pull it while you hold it a little taut. If I were you I'd do the bottoms first before I get into an underwire bra. When cutting, don't cut double - just cut one piece at a time - it's very easy for the spandex to get out of whack. Thread trace the grainline, or cut next to the selvedge and line up the pattern piece with a c-thru ruler. Lay the pattern piece down and trace carefully with tailor's chalk, making very sure not to stretch it, then cut out, for more accuracy. Actually, try making a triangle top beforehand too.

Although it has its own rules, swimwear is a lot easier than you would think, I had a lot of fun with it!

Here's a few links I found.
http://www.getcreativeshow.com/seminars/swimweartips.htm
http://www.paragonpatterns.com/SewingTipsArchive/knitTips/working%20with%20knits.html

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

These are all my work and my designs. The knits, crochets, embroidery, beading, patternmaking, sewing, etc, all my work. The dark looks were for my senior collection for school last year... I won "Best Construction." I won "Best Eveningwear" for the white look. There's more pics on my MySpace Feel free to drool a little ;)

*edit: if anyone has corsetry questions I'd be glad to help out.

DeliciousDarkness fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 26, 2009

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I designed the tattoo and hand painted it onto the corset. I have other pics of the whole look that I'll dig up, it's hard to get all in one shot when the trains are down... like most of my work it's biiiig. ;)

I use spiral steel boning, the metal things are called grommets (like the holes on Chuck Taylor sneakers). They're similar to eyelets, but eyelets only have one part and the bottom part splits to make the back. Grommets have two parts, the front rounded part (the word escapes me right now) and a back washer. The front piece has a lip that rounds/rolls down over the washer and isn't meant to split. It's stronger, smoother, and nicer looking, and stays in much better under duress.

http://store.corsetmaking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CMS&Category_Code=GST&AFFIL=CM
is where I order my supplies from, on this page you can see the tools for setting grommets. I use a hammer and die set because I don't have a freestanding set which is ideal.

http://www.corsetmaking.com/CMSpages/CMSboning.html
is the boning. I never use plastic or "rigilene" because it warps and then doesn't bounce back to its original shape. I personally hate it, it's what's used in commercial bridal and formal bodices and in cheaper (relatively) corset-styled tops and I think it wastes all your good effort.

Thanks for the compliments all :) I also have a profile up on Model Mayhem if anyone is on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.farthingales.on.ca/simplicity_9769.php

I like the Simplicity historical patterns, they seem to be the best of the large commercial companies. Definitely make a mockup still though, corsets are very exacting in the fit.

I've never ordered from this website but I emailed them once with a question and they never wrote back so I'm not sure if they are still in business. They have a lot of useful information on the site though.