Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have a really old (the person who gave it to me told me it could be 50 years) Kenmore sewing machine. I have no idea how to work a sewing machine, but I would really like to use this one. What is the procedure to adjust the tension of the top and bottom of the seam? Right now the upper portion ties the thread fairly loosely, and the lower portion is so tight I can't sew anything but pieces of paper.

I know this post is useless without pictures, but I don't currently have a working camera. If there is not a general rule of thumb for this thing I suppose I will just have to wait until I can photograph it properly.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

boscokitty posted:

If no one comes up with an answer, you might look to see if your model is listed on this page: http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/kenmore_Sewing_Machines_158.htm :10bux: isn't a bad amount to spend to make sure the thing's working right. (I just spent $15 on a manual from the Singer site for my grandfather who mysteriously wants to learn how to sew at age 87 and wants to use the machine my grandmother bought in 1950.)

Also, if your machine looks similar, this might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es24cH-uRQU That same user has lots of videos with that same machine.

I've tried really hard to find a model number on the machine somewhere, but I can't seem to find one. The only identification at all is a really long string of letters and numbers on a metal "Sears and Roebuck" plate inside the cabinet.

On the plus side, though, the youtubes you linked are perfect! My machine is not exactly the same, but it looks extremely similar. I think this is all I need to fix it! I'm going to give it a try later on.

I haven't messed with any knobs at all before now. I was raised in a house with a sewing machine that I was ABSOLUTELY NOT permitted to touch, so I think I have a little built-in phobia of messing up sewing machines by fiddling too much.

Update: I cannot get it threaded to save my life. I am hoping it's because the thread I have is too thick, because I don't think it is humanly possible to put so much thread through such a tiny, tiny needle. I'll have to go to Michaels and get some more.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 25, 2008

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Its kind of a long shot, but can any of you all recommend a good sewing-machine shop near the Dallas area? I took mine apart to undo a knot, and I am clearly too retarded to put it back together.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Expanding, insulating foam! Its light, sturdy enough, and you would even be able to stick pins in it, provided the plaster isn't impenetrable. Just be careful not to use too much. The dummy could burst open.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

You did just misspell "gray" a lot--maybe that's the source of your fruitless searching?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'm going to an auction this weekend and I am pretty sure it is the direct result of some kind of southern-as-hell clothing and horse-riding manufacturer going out of business. Can you guys think of anything especially nifty I should keep an eye out for? Here's the ad:

quote:

Warehouse Equipment, Manufacturing Equipment, Pallet Racks all sizes, Huge Motorized Apparel Mezzanine, Crown lift truck, pallet jacks, Cutting Tables, Warehouse Carts, Fabric, Fabric Cutters, Consew sewing machine, Forms, Manikins, Steam Irons, Buttons, Sheets, Couches, Conchos's, Rolls of Material, Pallets of product, Office Furniture, Office Supplies, Computers, Servers, Server Racks, Phone System, Printers, Copiers, Microwaves, Break room, Coffee maker, Tables, Chairs, Pictures, Art, Reception Desk, File Cabinets, Work Tables,

Huge amount of Men's & Women's apparel & Western wear Plus Stetson, Resistol hats.

Lectra Plotter & CAD/CAM System

Equipment for these dedicated industries: fashion, accessories, footwear, furniture, automotive, aerospace, marine or industrial fabrics

Most of the really awesome industrial stuff is probably going to be out of my price range, but I am mentally framing this as a museum visit so I won't be disappointed. Furthermore, Goldaline will you gay-marry me?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Coopsy posted:

Sorry for the terrible picture. This is a (hastily made) toile of a circle sleeve blouse from Pattern Magic. I know it was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anyone else done anything from these books? I've only been sewing for about six months and only learnt skirts so it'd be nice to see stuff from this book that's actually made well.

Oh, and I forgot. i hated the way the sleeve in the book sat so mine's pinned differently. Also my toile is too small for my dressform, I know.

That book is AMAZING! I just gave my two copies to my mum 'cause she wanted to get all experimental. Your sleeves look brilliant! :) :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Furnok Dorn posted:

Recently started screenprinting/making shirts for folks, I think some of them turned out pretty well! (Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this sort of thing)

OH MY GOD that is loving awesome. I would buy the hell out of the NOD shirt even though I already have like 200 tshirts.