Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

machinegirl posted:

Another ravelgoon: elizasea

I think we need a group. Shall I start one?

Oh you should! (I'm Ezmo over there, and I'd join)
I'm quite surprised at how many ravelling goons there are. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Google Embryo posted:

I have one of those sweet Boye needle sets with different sized cables for circulars. :love:

COVET COVET COVET

I've been eying one of those sets for a good long while now; I probably ought to break down and buy one as I do most of my knitting on circulars. Except for socks, actually, which is kind of odd. I like using a circulars instead of straight needles for most things, but I just enjoy the rhythm knitting socks on DPN's more, I guess.

Also, awapplesauce that is the cutest purse ever. just so you know.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

boscoki posted:

cross stitch/needlepoint/hand embroidery

I used to embroider a lot when I was younger, and would like to start again because it was a lot of fun and a nice way to make fabric things prettier, but looking through craft stores for embroidery patterns I'm finding a lot of pastel kittens frolicking in front of crosses or doe-eyed children with bouquets of tulips full of butterflies and saccharine. Am I looking in the wrong places? Are there any embroidery (cross-stitch or freestyle) patterns that are less... that?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

boscokitty posted:

Embroidery!
Ok, now I'm totally in love with blackwork. Thanks for all the hints, I ought to pick up some cheap pillowcases and go to town on them.

Plus:

(from subversive crosstitch folk) I want to hang it above the fireplace mantel! THAT IS WHERE IT BELONGS.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
It's time to retire my starter machine (well, that time was a while ago; it got caught in a flood and was never the same again :( ). I've been hoping to get an older machine (Bat Mouth's post sent me into paroxysms of jealousy), because I learned on one, because you can tinker with them with less threat of ruination, and because come on they're built like tanks!

I've found this guy on craigslist, and the price is right ($50) but I've never heard of this brand before. Its an Emdeko, and all I can find on the internet is reference to a later 1070's model being a "workhorse", so that bodes well? Does anyone out there have any experience/knowledge with this particular type of machine?

"deco" indeed!

Here's its cabinet:

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, just let me know if there is a sewing machine thread or anything...

Anyway, my sweet old emdeko zig zag is flipping out--I was sewing this afternoon, when all of a sudden the machine got WAY louder and slower (even with pedal to the metal, etc). I noticed that the top thread in the stitches got loose (like the tension suddenly got off or something).

Anyway, it is an old machine, and I'm not sure how well maintained it had been before I got it--for $30--a couple of months ago, so I figured I'd open her up and clean+oil. I did so (following the instructions, no less!) and while the action runs smoother when I hand crank it when I plug it in to run it it is still loud and super slow.

What happened? I am super duper hoping that the engine itself didn't crap, because that sounds like something I couldn't fix. Is there hope? I want to finish my skirt so I can post it :(

here is a picture of my poor baby

Micomicona fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 22, 2009

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Squid-Row posted:

Some stuff I made lately...

Oh my gosh, that is awesome! its like an ocean warrior priestess dress!!!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
EDIT: Nevermind! misread the post. Take it into the shop, it sounds like a timing issue.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
I have a quilt-chat question: I've made a couple so far, and they've been hand-quilted. This takes about a bajillion years and I don't want to hand-quilt ever again! I see a lot of ads for quilting machines, but can I quilt on a standard machine? Do I need a special foot? The whole thing is complicated by the fact that I only have very old machines; the one I'd want to use (since it is portable) doesn't even have zig-zag...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Haha, I think they meant like, an SA thread. I haven't seen one but I'd be interested too!

e: beaten! If there isn't one, there ought to be, I think.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Goldaline posted:

I won't clog things up too much

No, please do, please continue posting forever. If I was a superhero, I would wear that applique onesie for sure!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Goldaline posted:

Oh and I also took my first pro-wrestling class and really enjoyed it, so maybe I'll have some reason to wear these dumb things in the future, hahaha.

I am continually blown away by all of your work, including this piece!!! Amazing amazing amazing. Also, please make a matching whitework luchador mask and wear it to a wrestling meet and KICK EVERYONE'S rear end.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Goldaline posted:

Oh yeah, I have to work really hard not to have neck/shoulder/back issues. The combination of my weightlifting and textile hobbies are sometimes at odds with each other--my right pec/front shoulder muscles are super tight from years of pulling needle-and-thread and knitting motions and I had to do a lot of mobility work to fix it. It was messing with my overhead and bench press pretty badly.

Oh my gosh, I think you just discovered the source of my weird shoulder problems. I threw out my right whole arm once doing rows and my handquilting habit probably had quite a bit to do with that :/ Thanks for the stretch rec, I will try it out!

In other sewing health related news, a good HIGH cutting table makes all the difference! I was a dedicated floor cutter for awhile, even though it would mess up my knees, because cutting on a table would make my lower back sore like nothing else. But when we moved I found a grungy old linoleum table in the basement that comes basically up to right below my boobs (I am short); I've been cutting on that and have had ZERO back pain. Suddenly, cutting my pieces has gone from my utterly least-favorite step to a pleasant task! Plus the table is still in the basement which means that I can escape the horrible heat.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
You know, I only just got a rotary cutter recently; I haven't used it in conjunction with the new tall table yet... But using the rotary cutter on a standard height desk resulted in some of the worst and most lingering lower back pain I've had, and it was kind of the <i>"there must be an easier way!"</i> moment that led to me moving the Sew Zone to the basement. So ergonomically it's gotta be more functional but I hadn't thought of the leverage thing! I'll test today and report back.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Oh cool! I always wondered how those selvedge quilts are made. Thank you for the writeup!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Funhilde posted:

I didn't take any full pictures but I finished this dress today.

oh my goshhh beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
god help me but I started another quilt. On the stove are: Handquilted queen size bowtie quilt, currently in the quilting stage (NEVER AGAIN): sympathetic magic US Election embroidered state bird quilt, currently embroidering the birds; and our newest contender, scrappy cathedral window quilt (which I ave justified as using up all of my random scraps of pattern fabric). OH YEAH and there's a small paper pieced hex quilt that has been set aside for a super long time now :(

I need to actually finish something. Or at least stop starting new things :(